To Give and Take Away!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

DeviousAngel

Original poster
Aug 31, 2004
I would just like to post a problem we in zip code 39452 are having with Direct TV and our local channels. A little over a year ago I called direct tv asking about local channels, they said that in 1 month they would have them in my viewing area, but I would need to Upgrade my system in order to get them when they launch! Great ..I did that.. I called back in a month they said 3 months, this continued for well over a year! Guess what about 2 months ago WE DID GET OUR LOCAL CHANNELS, we had advertising in our area and everything! We got a free 2 month preview!! Isn't that GREAT!

Now last.. I believe it was Thursday the 26th, MY LOCALS Were gone..I called direct tv about this.... I assumed that the preview was over and it was time to get down and dirty and pay for them ;-), I called them and stated I would like to add them to my programming, I was then told YOU DON'T HAVE LOCALS, I said well I was watching them for the past 2 months, the free preview is UP! She put me on hold...said Nope you don't have them , I don't see you ever had them, I continued to tell her that she was insane not me! She put me back on hold said, Oh well we cant give them to your area any longer the FCC did a zip code revamp and you are no longer able to get them from Mobile, AL. you must get them from biloxi/Gulfport and we don't see ANY future plans of this happening. Sorry!! Hmmm SORRY!????? In over a years time they never saw this coming, I mean they had a cute little calculators to put your zip code in on their site, it would say... COMING SOON...then after a year .......... CONGRATULATIONS LOCALS ARE AVAILABLE IN YOUR AREA!

I explained to the lady that I had upgraded and waited a year for them, her response, well your upgrade didn't cost you anything...That angered me, due to the fact that yes, true it was a free equipment upgrade , but I did have to sign a 2 yr extended contract, so this is what?? Free?? I am legally binded to stay with them or pay the fee for closing my account! WOW!

I know that they have been called by several customers in this area all outraged at this action! We all get different excuses as to why this has happened.. How the hello can they do this?/ Its like taking a sucker letting a child have it for a few minutes and saying Nope give it back! and to top it off say, YOU NEVER HAD A SUCKER..hahahahahaha real nice

I have once again requested a waiver for CBS and FOX east and west feeds..I currently have NBC and ABC. I am sure I will be denied , same as last time, but hey what can a girl do...I live in a rural area and I don't care how close they claim a tower is, WE don't get the channels clear, wish they sent people out here so they could walk outside and turn the antenna a few times and try to get a clear picture! Its is nice though on hot days you can look at the snowy picture and feel like a blizzard is coming toward you!

Anyway, just thought I would let you all know how GREAT DIRECT TV has been to us regarding Local channels!

~*~DeviousAngel~*~

DeviousAngel said:
Oh well we cant give them to your area any longer the FCC did a zipcode revamp and you are no longer able to get them from Mobile, AL. you must get them from biloxi/Gulfport and we dont see ANY future plans of this happening. Sorry!! Hmmm SORRY!????? In over a years time they never saw this coming, I mean they had a cute little caculator to put your zipcode in on their site, it would say... COMING SOON...then after a year .......... CONGRATULATIONS LOCALS ARE AVAILABLE IN YOUR AREA!

The FCC & Nielsen do make changes to areas for locals. Where I use to live was in the Duluth, MN DMA and now is in the Mpls DMA (designated market area). But I pulled up your zip and you are clearly in the Gulfport DMA. Mobile is one county north.
I have once again requested a waiver for CBS and FOX east adn west feeds..I currently have NBC and ABC. I am sure I will be denied , same as last time, but hey what can a girl do...I live in a rural area and I dont care how close they claim a tower is, WE dont get the channels clear, wish they sent people out here so they could walk outside and turn the antenna a few times and try to get a clear picture! Its is nice though on hot days you can look at the snowy picture and feel like a blizzard is coming toward you!
Have you tried an outdoor antenna?

The only other thing you can do is "move" to the Mobile DMA. Do a search here on it. That's what I did. I have Duluth, MN locals right in Minneapolis :)

Yep, I understand..My zip code may "NOW" fall under that area, but it didn't for over a year. I am also 3 miles from Mobile Alabama, and about 75 miles from Biloxi/Gulfport. Not that it makes a difference.

Yes, I have an outside antenna, thats why I said, maybe they would like to turn the antenna and get a picture to come in..lol

Not real sure what the local mobile DMA is, I will have to look that up..lol..thank you for your response, have a nice day!

~*~DeviousAngel~*~

The only county in MS that is in the Mobile DMA is Greene County. By reading your post, you must be in George Co?

You might want to "move"...might be the best way to get some locals so you dont see a snowstorm in December in MS :)

LOL, Greene County, Thats funny,because they are much further than we are from Mobile..And let me tell you, They ARE IN THE BOONIES..LOL..nope, think I will watch snowflakes fall in the TV screen before I do that :p . Oh well need to change my name to.... Hopeless in George County!

Here's the map of MS and which county is in which DMA...yes, some are weird

"moving" isn't that hard. a 5 minute phone call and you're watching Mobile locals :D

mississippi[1].gif

Nielsen changed zipcodes for accessibility of several local channel markets, I believe around Aug 18th and D* had to respond by the 26th. Up until NIELSEN made that change you were in the Mobile market. But, once NIELSEN made the change D* had to comply. D* didn't know the change was happening until they were given the specs by NIELSEN and the CSRs didn't find out until the last second.

It sounds like direc broke their contract when they couldn't provide locals.
What does dish offer?

DeviousAngel said:
LOL, Greene County, Thats funny,because they are much further than we are from Mobile..And let me tell you, They ARE IN THE BOONIES..LOL..nope, think I will watch snowflakes fall in the TV screen before I do that :p . Oh well need to change my name to.... Hopeless in George County!

Are you getting the "nod, nod, wink, wink" that is implied when Iceberg says "move"? Sometimes people have to change their "service address" to a location that is eligible for the locals they should be able to receive but they keep the same phone number/billing address.

dishjockey said:
It sounds like direc broke their contract when they couldn't provide locals. What does dish offer?

all sat providers will be bound by the same DMA rules.

the contract will state they cant be held accountable for DMA changes outside their control, which this is.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts