To Seal or not to seal?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I use those rings in post #2...the installer who installed my Directv dish gave me a bag of them (and as bag of PPC 6XL connectors since I used those on my setups)
Wow! I wish I had your installer. I had to buy mine.....:)

It is a coax wrench.......
Now that is a nice pile of tools. Good info. Have one on me.
coffee.gif

Two Canadians. Two strategies. Maybe there is no problem?

A third Canadian, with a third strategy! I use coax weather boots. It should also be noted that I do have all my switches indoors, as at one time I did have a problem with a Star Choice switch/coax that was mounted outdoors (with weather boots) and too open to the elements (freezing/melting weather caused the problem). Only problem I have found with coax weather boots is remembering to put them on the coax cable BEFORE you put on the connector!

I use Thomas and Betts snap and seal compression fittings. Have never had a problem.

I use the same connectors, they seal great on the back side between the connector body and the coax. But there is no protection from water weeping down the threads on the front side. This is where a water resistant product goes to work giving some extra protection.

All I've used for years is plain electrical tape. The first couple of wraps are tight so they form to the fitting and seal tight. And then wrap it a couple of more times just to give it a good cover. I also fold over the very end so I have a tab to pull on when I want to remove it to swap out parts. Haven't had any faults, failures or problems. Good luck.

This is the silicone I applied on the connection. Yes it does look like someone blew their nose on it. However it will keep water out more then any other sealant.

Another reason why I sealed it with silicone: The ground block is about a foot off the roof. Snow can drift there, and when it melts, it can seep into the coax.

IMG_0198-1.jpg

Last edited:
Don't forget your drip loops my friends.

A few years ago my parents had some work done on their house by a electrician who never heard of a drip loop when I asked him why he did not make one! :eek:
Maybe I better ask him how to ground my satellite dishes!!! :rolleyes:

This is the silicone I applied on the connection. Yes it does look like someone blew their nose on it. However it will keep water out more then any other sealant....
Oh, come on now. That is a $not gob if I have ever seen one!:eek:
Really, with snow getting to it, that stuff would do the job. Must be a mess when you need to change something. There is something about that "silly-cone" stuff that you just cannot get it off a surface.

Oh, come on now. That is a $not gob if I have ever seen one!:eek:
Really, with snow getting to it, that stuff would do the job. Must be a mess when you need to change something. There is something about that "silly-cone" stuff that you just cannot get it off a surface.

I say, if one is that worried about it, use a box. I remember Primestar used boxes.

The boxes where not water proof, just rain proof. I don't think they had gaskets on them.

They do make waterproof diseq switches. They should create a ground block like that.

51ztt9vQuHL._SL500_AA300_.gif

The boxes where not water proof, just rain proof. I don't think they had gaskets on them.

They do make waterproof diseq switches. They should create a ground block like that.
51ztt9vQuHL._SL500_AA300_.gif

You planning on the area flooding and needing them to work under water?

I say, if one is that worried about it, use a box. I remember Primestar used boxes.
Well, it would be hard to put a box where the connection is at the LNB.
Box is good idea. I put my two Diseqc switches and the Ecoda in an electrical plastic box out at the BUD. Keeps the rain off. Not too good if a flood came. Not to worry here. My "beach sand" sucks up water like a sponge.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)