To those of you who said a BBB complaint was stupid and worthless...

The BBB is nothing more than a tolorated annoyance with DISH Network. Don't mean to sound rude, but the discount they offered you was to make the problem go away

Sadly, I agree ...

It is great that the original poster got resolution; however, I feel that this demonstrates that Dish has no intentions to change their TurboHD "practices". Their intent is to clearly move people off of TurboHD and on to Classic HD.

Wow, I am actually pretty upset now. I have sent a ton of emails to Dish about the confusing policies of TurboHD subs not getting the same HD channels, and haven't had them budge at all.

What Clayton got is exactly what I want, to have Fox New HD and the other three Viacoms.

Hmmm, now I am wondering if I should file with the BBB. Suggestions from anyone?

Anyone tries it with an Absolute HD sub package be sure and post it.

The reason why I didn't think the Absolute folks were going to get anything else is I'm still shocked that I got a few rebates, free install, no cost for the 722, and still only pay like $40 something a month for all these channels w/ a DVR. I think I'm getting a hell of a deal already and have no complaints.

He got what he wanted because he acted like a little baby and was very rude to the CSR. This is not a victory.-

Do us all a favor and shut up already..He was a baby? How grown up of you.
He isa consumer getting ripped by a company that does not give a crap about what it's customers want, so he took steps to at least make it appear they need to start do that.

You call him a baby..Look in the mirror much?

The complaint to the BBB worked.
Depends on your definition of "worked". To most, it would mean that Dish corrected the mistake in the channel line-up of various packages and applied it to all customers. In your case, yeah, it "worked" .... for Dish (they got you to shut up) and for you 'cause you gained a few add'l channels.

He isa consumer getting ripped by a company
What did he get ripped (ripped off?) about specifically?

He was paying the published price for the published channels. Someone told him something too good to be true and he believed it instead of verifying validity. Why do so many people expect special treatment and something for free?

I really can't understand why you are all giving Clayton a hard time about what he did. He felt he was being wronged and did something about it. You all can say what you want, but it is obvious that the TurboHD package is nothing but a bait and switch tactic. They offered this package to get people to sign up, then do all they can to make them switch to a higher package knowing full well that most will if they want the new HD channels. It is just plain wrong!! If someone pays to get an all HD package, they should get all the non-premium national channels that become available in their respective package. I read people who type, "they never said they would get them", but they never told anybody they wouldn't get them either and that is where the bait and switch comes in. If they told you at the beginning that you wouldn't receive all the new HD channels they launch if you get this package how many of you would have still signed up? They went with the fact that people would assume that they would get them and then when subscribers found out they couldn't and were locked in for 24 months, they would upgrade their package. You all know this is the truth, but don't want to admit that you got misled. I am not a Dish customer, but if D* tried this crap with me I would gladly pay the ETF and leave. We all should be like him and stand up for what we feel is right.

Last edited:
Someone told him something too good to be true and he believed it instead of verifying validity.

Of all the criticisms lobbed at clayton, I think this one rankles me the most. If a dish Network employee tells me something, OF COURSE I expect dish Network to back them up. It's unreasonable to expect potential customers to do homework to double-check what dish network employees are telling them. Customers should be able to accept statements from dish employees as gospel. If a dish employee is misinformed, or outright lies, to a customer, then absolutely dish should take action to make it right. If dish is unable to deliver on whatever promise was made, then they should offer to let someone out of the agreement without penalty, since they entered into the agreement under false pretenses. Or, offer an alternative package at a discount like they did for Clayton.

Of all the criticisms lobbed at clayton, I think this one rankles me the most. If a dish Network employee tells me something, OF COURSE I expect dish Network to back them up. It's unreasonable to expect potential customers to do homework to double-check what dish network employees are telling them. Customers should be able to accept statements from dish employees as gospel. If a dish employee is misinformed, or outright lies, to a customer, then absolutely dish should take action to make it right. If dish is unable to deliver on whatever promise was made, then they should offer to let someone out of the agreement without penalty, since they entered into the agreement under false pretenses. Or, offer an alternative package at a discount like they did for Clayton.

I don't have a problem with what you're saying, but how long before everyone claims that they were made this verbal promise by an employee (even when they weren't) and demanding channels that were never promised. I think Turbo HD packages should get all the additional HD added to their classic metal package; but NOWHERE did Dish promise this. People who subscribed assuming this should have done their homework or at the very least should have gotten such an assurance in writing. If it's not in writing, what's to stop everyone from switching to Turbo, making the same claim and then getting switched back to a classic package with a $20 savings a month? Nothing.

Dish needs to step up and just add the news channels to Turbo, but what you're suggesting is not practical from an economic standpoint. If someone can provide proof that an employee gave them information fine, but if all you have is a verbal claim, too bad (otherwise Dish is asking people to defraud it).

If they told me that I'd receive all the HD channels added from here on out for infinity in subscribing to the lowest HD package - I'd be naive to believe it. I'm trying to help bring things back to reality.

I have those things happen with people in life, but I don't complain to the BBB, I straighten it out with them and see what they really meant. I think it's unreasonable to think you'll get everything offered at the lowest HD only package available. Why else other teirs available?

I don't think the 'let out of the contract' option was fully explored or politely clarified and decided on. I'm happy he got a discount, but don't think it was reasonable to expect what he did.

Last edited:
I really can't understand why you are all giving Clayton a hard time about what he did. He felt he was being wronged and did something about it. You all can say what you want, but it is obvious that the TurboHD package is nothing but a bait and switch tactic. They offered this package to get people to sign up, then do all they can to make them switch to a higher package knowing full well that most will if they want the new HD channels. It is just plain wrong!! If someone pays to get an all HD package, they should get all the non-premium national channels that become available in their respective package. I read people who type, "they never said they would get them", but they never told anybody they wouldn't get them either and that is where the bait and switch comes in. If they told you at the beginning that you wouldn't receive all the new HD channels they launch if you get this package how many of you would have still signed up? They went with the fact that people would assume that they would get them and then when subscribers found out they couldn't and were locked in for 24 months, they would upgrade their package. You all know this is the truth, but don't want to admit that you got misled. I am not a Dish customer, but if D* tried this crap with me I would gladly pay the ETF and leave. We all should be like him and stand up for what we feel is right.
I signed up for the all HD national package and don't get all the new HD added - and I'm not upset - because I don't believe I should get all the extras for free. He got exactly what the channel lineup card offered at the time and I got exatly what was offered at the time I signed up. If dish wants to add/subtract from that and I still like it, I'll keep it. If not I'll see what I can do and leave if I can't live with it.

The channel line up card is accurate, so how can it be a bait-and-switch? If you assume wrong then you might feel that way, but it's up to the one signing the contract to verfiy all info before signing. I think it stinks that people would be offered something that wasn't reality, but that is the exception (hence the need for verification) not the norm. If they were told they would receive them and they aren't happy after not getting them, they ought to be able to be let out of the contract with no penalty.

I signed up, knowing full well that I wouldn't be guaranteed the additional HD channels - and I'm glad I did.

I signed up for the all HD national package and don't get all the new HD added - and I'm not upset - because I don't believe I should get all the extras for free. He got exactly what the channel lineup card offered at the time and I got exatly what was offered at the time I signed up. If dish wants to add/subtract from that and I still like it, I'll keep it. If not I'll see what I can do and leave if I can't live with it.

The channel line up card is accurate, so how can it be a bait-and-switch? If you assume wrong then you might feel that way, but it's up to the one signing the contract to verfiy all info before signing. I think it stinks that people would be offered something that wasn't reality, but that is the exception (hence the need for verification) not the norm. If they were told they would receive them and they aren't happy after not getting them, they ought to be able to be let out of the contract with no penalty.

I signed up, knowing full well that I wouldn't be guaranteed the additional HD channels - and I'm glad I did.

So you are saying that you signed up and knew that you wouldn't get any new National HD that corresponds to your package. I find that hard to believe. You can't tell me you don't feel a little bit misled. How are they suppose to verify exactly? Does it say on the website that they wouldn't receive any new channels? I would hope asking a CSR would be verification. Yes technically they are giving you what they said they were, but there is no way I would sign up for this package if I knew that I wouldn't be getting any new channels. It might as well be a new customer promo, which in essense it is. Get them in and jack them up.

So you are saying that you signed up and knew that you wouldn't get any new National HD that corresponds to your package.
No, that's not what I said - please read it again.

Actually I knew I'd be getting the new HD's until the end of '08 and everything past that has been extra.

I find that hard to believe. You can't tell me you don't feel a little bit misled.
Yes I can - because I did my homework and they have done exactly what the contract says.

How are they suppose to verify exactly?
Ask around until you get a consensus. Ask some other folks who have the service - and don't assume in reading the literature. The channel lineup card posted on their site and last updated in January, was accurate in it's wording - though confusing in it's labeling of packages. Hence the need to clarify even more.

Does it say on the website that they wouldn't receive any new channels?
No.

I would hope asking a CSR would be verification.
That's a good place to check - but I wouldn't take it for 'gospel' if it sounded too good to be true.

Would you honestly believe them if you were promised all of the HD added from here on out forever if you subscribed to the lowest HD only package? If so, why then do they have different tiers in the HD packages?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)