To wait for new hd dvr, or not?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

trice9

Original poster
May 4, 2006
I need some advice. I can't wait for HD any longer (football season is around the corner). I also can't live without DVR. Is there any benefit in waiting for new HD DVR. It's my understanding the new Directv DVR is not as good as the old one with TIVO (e.g., doesn't have 2 30 minute buffers, so you can't watch 2 live shows at once). The only negative I see with going with the current HD DVR is that i need an antenna to get local channels (which won't be a problem where I live), and the fact that at some point I'll want to upgrade to new MPEG4 receivers (although I don't think that will be needed anytime soon).

So, I'm leaning towards just going with current 3 lnb dish and current hd dvr - any reason not to, any negatives i'm missing, etc? Thanks!

There are no solid specs out on the new DVR yet, just speculation...

If you have OTA covered, go with the HR10-250, it's worth the upgrade. There should be some upgrade path to the HR20 when it finally shows up also.

mjones1973 said:
If you have OTA covered, go with the HR10-250, it's worth the upgrade. There should be some upgrade path to the HR20 when it finally shows up also.

Exactly. If you get good over the air signals dont hesitate to get the HD Tivo.

I am in the same boat as trice9. I currently have Charter in the DFW area, and it stinks. I have a HD TV, and would like to have more programming, but when I read all the post in here, I get confused. I would like to go with Directv, but everybody keeps talking about the new HD DVR coming out. Should I wait? I want to have a DVR with my HD TV, and another DVR on a standard TV. Should I go with Dish cause they have the new MPEG 4 HD DVRs out already, and more HD programming? Both offer HD locals in my area!!! PLEASE ADVISE!!!!

mraudit said:
I am in the same boat as trice9. I currently have Charter in the DFW area, and it stinks. I have a HD TV, and would like to have more programming, but when I read all the post in here, I get confused. I would like to go with Directv, but everybody keeps talking about the new HD DVR coming out. Should I wait? I want to have a DVR with my HD TV, and another DVR on a standard TV. Should I go with Dish cause they have the new MPEG 4 HD DVRs out already, and more HD programming? Both offer HD locals in my area!!! PLEASE ADVISE!!!!
It depends on what you are interested in most.
D* supplies more Sports options than DISH. including the NFL package.
If it's movies your after then it really doesn't matter as they both cover movies.

If you go with D* and want the HD DRV , go with the HR10-250 for now and upgrade when the new one comes out. I would imagine that they will have some kind of promo at that time to get people interested in the new DVR.

Jimbo

trice9 said:
Is there any benefit in waiting for new HD DVR. It's my understanding the new Directv DVR is not as good as the old one with TIVO (e.g., doesn't have 2 30 minute buffers, so you can't watch 2 live shows at once).

So, I'm leaning towards just going with current 3 lnb dish and current hd dvr - any reason not to, any negatives i'm missing, etc? Thanks!
There has been no proof that the new one won't be better, in fact I would expect it to be much better, newer technology , possibly have features that others have had that owners liked from other DVR's...(without breaking patent laws)

You would think that it would have all of the best, and MPEG 4 too.

I am looking forward to the HR20-700, hopefully it won't be priced out of reach.

Jimbo

thanks for the input. sounds like i should just get the hr10-250 because my reception for local channels with over the air antenna is good, and i really want the hd dvr. my next question is regarding the dish - should i just get the new 5 lnb dish? i'm assuming the hr10-250 will work with that and the local channels via antenna. is that correct? that way, when i do want to upgrade the receivers, i already have the necessary dish. thanks.

def get the new dish out of them..... that way it is simply a reciever change when the new one comes out.

i've gotten conflicting info from directv - will the 5lnb dish work with the HR10-250 HD DVR? I understand it won't work for the local channels (will use antenna for that), but will I be able to get other HD channels (espn, hbo, etc) and the other non-HD channels via this combination? Thanks.

trice9 said:
i've gotten conflicting info from directv - will the 5lnb dish work with the HR10-250 HD DVR? I understand it won't work for the local channels (will use antenna for that), but will I be able to get other HD channels (espn, hbo, etc) and the other non-HD channels via this combination? Thanks.

You will be able to get all the MPEG2 HD with the 5lnb. Def go with the 5lnb that way it is simply a receiver swap when you upgrade and not an entire install.

He means that you would be fine with the 3lnb, no, no reason not to go with it...except that you are correct that it will work with the 5 lnb also and it would just be a matter of upgrading to the new HD-DVR then. Either way and you will be fine.

trice9 said:
I need some advice. I can't wait for HD any longer (football season is around the corner). I also can't live without DVR. Is there any benefit in waiting for new HD DVR. It's my understanding the new Directv DVR is not as good as the old one with TIVO (e.g., doesn't have 2 30 minute buffers, so you can't watch 2 live shows at once). The only negative I see with going with the current HD DVR is that i need an antenna to get local channels (which won't be a problem where I live), and the fact that at some point I'll want to upgrade to new MPEG4 receivers (although I don't think that will be needed anytime soon).

You won't get baseball in HD.... At least not on your RSN if you go with the DVR, but you will if you get just the straight HD receiver.

Ryu said:
You won't get baseball in HD.... At least not on your RSN if you go with the DVR, but you will if you get just the straight HD receiver.
Ryu is refering to the H-20 HD receiver ...

Jimbo

Not to butt in on the thread but I think you can help with my question.

I have a 3-year old D* HD receiver with the 3lnb dish. It is awesomely fast and meets all of my needs. I get the HD package and pay extra to get local channels through the Satellite feed (not OTA) because I don't want to mess with an antenna.

Can I upgrade to the H10-250 (I've been a customer for 10 years) and be satisfied if I don't care to get local channels in HD? I am assuming everyone talks about local OTA HD as the only option for now. Why aren't local channels avail in HD through Satellite feed? Anyways, I really want a DVR but the upfront cost is making me worried for a slow interface and other issues that may crop up. I have a SD DVR with TIVO that I love but will this unit also be obsolete in the near future?

I won't need to upgrade to a 5lnb dish until forced to if I wait for the HR20 to be available, right. Does everyone eventually have to upgrade to the monster heavy 5lnb dish to get HD in MPEG-4?

Of course, I don't lease as of now but do I have a choice if I take the plunge and go with the HD DVR H10-250?

I hope my ignorant questions aren't to bad.

Thanks

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts