TODAY: Space Shuttle Discovery Launch Coverage Today

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Plywodstatebum

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 12, 2004
A Secluded Beach In, Fl.
Just A Reminder....Coverage from Cape Canaveral, Fla., of the first space-shuttle launch since the Discovery disaster in 2003. The seven-member crew is expected to be in space for 12 days and is to dock with the International Space Station. Today 10 am EST on HDNET

I know this is from last year but it's some of the best HD PQ I've seen.

Last edited:
this is going to be the second launch
not the first since 2003.... there was a launch last year and now there is another... if all goes well, they will launch atlantis in Aug

Columbia was the shuttle in 2003, Discovery is launching today.

discovery launched aprox. 11 months ago.... this will be the second launch since columbia crashed....

caesar gdi said:
discovery launched aprox. 11 months ago.... this will be the second launch since columbia crashed....

Right, I was correcting the OP when he said "Discovery disaster".

Plywodstatebum said:
J...The seven-member crew is expected to be in space for 12 days and is to dock with the International Space Station. Today 10 am EST on HDNET...

10AM EST? I thought it was around 3:35 - :50 PM EST; and that time frame was being threatened by developing weather in the area.

Current t-minus HOLD for a possible weather "no go". About to conduct the poll.

After poll: t-minus 9m HOLD through the launch window (3:53 EST) due to weather .

Last edited:
Hi Charper1,

My wife wanted to drive up and watch the launch but the scrub chance was 60% yesterday and it is a very long drive. Tomorrow the wx is not looking good, Monday is for maintenance and the 4th will probably be the next probable attempt. Looking at the HD coverage, other than not having the thrill of the shaking and the sound which I experienced in 1966 when I watched a launch of a much smaller rocket there, the coverage in HD will be more spectacular than watching from a distance. I have turned my AA 727 90 degrees off course to let the passengers see the contrail of a shuttle launch flying over Cuba out of Miami and it is a thrill from where ever you can see it. AA doesn't like us to do that but it was special. We will watch a launch from the cape.

bubbers44 said:
Hi Charper1,

My wife wanted to drive up and watch the launch but the scrub chance was 60% yesterday and it is a very long drive. Tomorrow the wx is not looking good, Monday is for maintenance and the 4th will probably be the next probable attempt. Looking at the HD coverage, other than not having the thrill of the shaking and the sound which I experienced in 1966 when I watched a launch of a much smaller rocket there, the coverage in HD will be more spectacular than watching from a distance. I have turned my AA 727 90 degrees off course to let the passengers see the contrail of a shuttle launch flying over Cuba out of Miami and it is a thrill from where ever you can see it. AA doesn't like us to do that but it was special. We will watch a launch from the cape.

sounds cool ! wish i was on that flight...

Was it scrubbed already today (Sunday)? HDNet shows it on their online schedule, but they're showing regular programming.

Cool, I was doing lawn work then, The NASA site still had it listed then. Here's the new date/time:

Bad weather at NASA's Kennedy Space Center in Florida has delayed the launch of Discovery. The next launch attempt is on Tuesday, July 4, at 2:38 p.m. EDT.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts