Today's the day!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

garn9173

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 11, 2004
Ankeny, IA
Like a kid waiting for Christmas for when the phone goes off and it's the installer on the other end saying he's on his way.

I just got D* today, also. I was pleasantly surprised with the installer. Usually the ones contracted through both E* and D* have not been good in the area that I live. My last episode with the E* installer was horrible. I had to pay someone to come in and fix what he did. There was no way I was going to allow him back in my home. I was a little apprehensive about dealing with another installer. All went very well, though.

I am now trying to get used to D*. I have had E* for 8 years so I was very used to finding what I wanted to watch. I hope I have made the right decision

The onscreen guide leaves alot to be desired, wished it was more like I-Guide that cable uses. As far as PQ goes, much better than analog cable, about the same as digital cable.

The onscreen guide leaves alot to be desired, wished it was more like I-Guide that cable uses. As far as PQ goes, much better than analog cable, about the same as digital cable.

I am not sure what I Guide is, but D*'s guide is about 5,000 times better than our current Cable company's.
I actually REALLY like D*'s guide, give it some time and you get use to it :)

Jimbo

I am not sure what I Guide is, but D*'s guide is about 5,000 times better than our current Cable company's.
I actually REALLY like D*'s guide, give it some time and you get use to it :)

Jimbo

http://mediacomcc.com/i-guide/

Overall, installation went pretty smooth, for 2 of the TV's, the installer was able to go through the existing cable jacks and for the third TV upstairs, he wasn't able to do that, so he had to bring cable in externally through drilling. He did a really good job with that, the cable is tucked under the siding and you would have to look hard to find the point of entry for the cable.

He couldn't ground the system, none of the other systems in my immediate area are grounded either, I own a townhome and my unit is in the middle, front facing the south. I asked about a grounding rod, he said that wouldn't be "up to code" for him to do it, but he said not a problem for me to do it, so before spring and severe weather season gets here, that's what i'll do.

You are far better off have no ground than an improper ground.

If you drive a ground rod, thus establishing a bond to earth via your satellite system, power surges may find an easier path to ground via your satellite system. If you use surge suppressors, you are even more in trouble. Surge suppressors do not stop anything. They only route power to ground. Since your satellite receiver has a grounded plug it is now part of the grounding system in your home. A power surge entering a surge protector is routed to the ground side of your electrical system. If you have a grounded satellite system that is NOT bonded to the house electrical ground, the power surge has two options as to where it goes. It can dissipate through the house wiring to the house ground, or it can move down your satellites receivers ground plug to the receiver, and out the coax shield to reach the NEW ground rod you installed. If the new ground rod is properly bonded to the home ground, both ground rods are neutral in potential. The currant will flow through the path of less resistance, which is the 14 awg or larger home wiring. Actually the currant will flow down both paths, but mostly the home wiring.

Your installer is supposed to ground properly, but there are many times it is just not possible. Your installer has assumed responsibility for the dangers that may or may not exist by not grounding. If he is an independent contractor, then it is his call. If he works for a larger company, then he may get in trouble if they QC the job. ALL installers are required to ground PERIOD. Both DirecTV and DISH do not want a consumer suing them because something went wrong and the lack of ground was found to be at fault. Mostly it is just a bunch of lawyers covering their clients a$$es. I most cases, the lack of ground is over looked. They simply fine the installer and move on.

The NEC is out dated with regards to satellite grounding, but it is what we have to work with.

So what do you do?

You do not drive a ground rod unless you can bond that rod to the home ground with a #6 wire.

Technically your receive is grounded via the power cord, although not to NEC specs. Unless you are in a heavily lightning area, you better off leaving it alone, than grounding improperly.

If you are really worried about power surges, I suggest a really good surge suppressor with satellite rated coax loop through ports and telephone protection. Do not forget about the telephone cord. Do not buy some over priced Monster unit.

That all said, some states have different rules than the NEC. The NEC is only a recommendation, not a law. Your local regulation may vary.

Here is the best satellite surge suppressor.

http://www.panamax.com/products.cfm?group=2&sec=detail&id=249&ly=v

One thing to remember, the cable from the dish to the receiver carries very high frequencies. Not all surge units with coax jacks will work well with satellite.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)