Tony Stewart released from Joe Gibbs Racing (and another "Silly Season" rumor)...

fhsucade07

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 10, 2007
Tony Stewart has officially been released from his contract at Joe Gibbs Racing and will pursue ownership opportunities (supposedly Haas) along with (supposedly) Ryan Newman.

Stewart leaving JGR, plans to purchase NASCAR team - Yahoo! News

I also did not see a link to the story but it appears as though David Reuitmann will be leaving Michael Waltrip Racing to fill the seat of the 45 that Kyle Petty may vacate next year.

Tony Stewart has officially been released from his contract at Joe Gibbs Racing and will pursue ownership opportunities (supposedly Haas) along with (supposedly) Ryan Newman.

Stewart leaving JGR, plans to purchase NASCAR team - Yahoo! News

I also did not see a link to the story but it appears as though David Reuitmann will be leaving Michael Waltrip Racing to fill the seat of the 45 that Kyle Petty may vacate next year.

Tony is being released from JGR after the current season .:)

I know he wants to get back to driving American made cars, I would imagine he'll go with Chevy's.

Jimbo

I know he wants to get back to driving American made cars, I would imagine he'll go with Chevy's.

Jimbo

I think that is the biggest piece of this puzzle (returning to Chevrolet). Sorry I didn't make the notation about the release taking place at the end of this season (I assumed everybody would know that).

I guess this will probably pave the way for Joey Logano...

I know he wants to get back to driving [North] American made cars, I would imagine he'll go with Chevy's.

Jimbo

Fixed it for you.

Chevy Impala's are made in Ontario, Canada.
Toyota Camry's are made in Kentucky, USA.

He'll definitely be in a Chevy next year since he'll be running Hendrick engines. Now as for 2010 and beyond...well If GM continues to pull resources out of NASCAR to survive their impending bankruptcy, I wouldn't be surprised to see him back in a Toyota before he calls it a career.

It's a risky move from a competitive standpoint for Stewart, but if he pull it off he'll build his legacy and pocketbook quite nicely.

Fixed it for you.

Chevy Impala's are made in Ontario, Canada.
Toyota Camry's are made in Kentucky, USA.

He'll definitely be in a Chevy next year since he'll be running Hendrick engines. Now as for 2010 and beyond...well If GM continues to pull resources out of NASCAR to survive their impending bankruptcy, I wouldn't be surprised to see him back in a Toyota before he calls it a career.

It's a risky move from a competitive standpoint for Stewart, but if he pull it off he'll build his legacy and pocketbook quite nicely.

im not looking to turn this into a "shootout" but for me ontario is more american than our own country nowadays. i wouldnt be suprised to see chevy come out completely with the economy problem.

the last part is true. its never been easy for any competiter to own there own team and win. i thank if anybody can do it it will be stewart.

on cades initial post about ruetimann replacing kyle petty: kyle just never has been hte same since adam was killed in new hampshire. i hope that team can become more competiteve with a new driver.

Just to flesh it out (and, of course all NASCAR cars are hand made somewhere in Mecklenburg or Cabarris counties, North Carolina), the street version of the Chevrolet, is made in Oshawa, Ontario, Canada and the last Chevy made in the USA to have a NASCAR version ran in 1985. The Dodge Avenger is made in Brampton, Ontario, Canada, but when D-C sold off Chrysler, they rebadged the car as an Avenger, which is assembled BY MITSUBISHI, in Michigan, from Japanese and Mexican parts. The last Dodge made in the USA by Chrysler to run in NASCAR was made in 1977. The Ford Taurus is made in Chicago, with a French transmission and a Mexican engine. Its the only mainline Ford car model not made in Mexico.

In any event, in the Chevrolet camp, there is Slick Rick and the also rans. Welcome to obscurity, Tony.

We may as well just start calling it CASCAR (or just join them). :D Thanks for all of the information in those previous posts. I knew that the Chevrolet was primarily built in Canada but I had no idea about the other makes.

Speaking of Canada... Do any of you think a Sprint-Cup Series race will ever be held in Canada? I know we already have the Nationwide Series race in Montreal and, from the way things were last year, I'd love to see a Cup race take place there.

Just to flesh it out (and, of course all NASCAR cars are hand made somewhere in Mecklenburg or Cabarris counties, North Carolina),

In any event, in the Chevrolet camp, there is Slick Rick and the also rans. Welcome to obscurity, Tony.

Obscurity, Hardly,

Sam you really need to learn how to use google.

This up to the 2006 season. My quick updates (2007) in red.

CHEVROLET NUMBERS IN THE NASCAR CUP SERIES

Drivers Championships:
All-time (1949 - 2006) = 23
First title for Chevrolet = Buck Baker in 1957
Highest number of consecutive titles = 6 (1993 - 1998)
Years Won: 1957, 1960, 1961, 1973, 1976, 1977, 1979, 1980, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1987,
1990, 1991, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2001, 2005, 2006
Manufacturers Championships:
All-time (1949 - 2006) = 30 NOW 31
First title for Chevrolet = 1958
Highest number of consecutive titles = 9 (1983 - 1991)
Years Won: 1958, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1972, 1973, 1974, 1976, 1977, 1978, 1979, 1980,
1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1993, 1995, 1996, 1998, 2001,
2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 2007
Event Victories:
2007 Race Wins = 3 26 Modern era record
2006 Race Wins = 23
All-time Race Wins (1949 - present) = 599
Best years for All-time race wins = 25 (1958)
Total All-time NASCAR Cup Wins (by corporation): 1949-present General Motors Corporation = 933
(Chevy: 599 + Pontiac: 154 + Olds: 115 + Buick: 65)

Then there's the others.

Ford Motor Company = 676
(Ford: 577 + Mercury: 95 + Lincoln: 4)
Chrysler Corporation = 444
(Dodge: 194 + Plymouth: 191 + Chrysler: 59)

I DO NOT wear bowties, never will however, it's to argue with success.

Obscurity????? right.

It's been pretty well know since the Gibbs switch to Toyota that Tony was not happy about it.

He has a pretty tight connection and relationship and Sponsorship with GM for his sprint car teams and El Dora.

I thought that him moving ASAP after the Gibbs Toyota deal, was going to be pretty much a lock.

Googling Chevrolet: Thank you for the ancient history lesson. I really sure Buck Baker, who died in six years ago and retired from NASCAR in 1976, has a lot to do with things today.

Let me repet. In NASCAR today among Chevrolets, there is Slick Rick's factory team, and some obscure also-rans who get no support from GM. Which is why Mr. Gibbs dumped Chevy for Toyota. Chevrolet, which is to say Slick Rick's factory team, might win every race for the next year. Carl Haas' team will win none.

Welcome to obscurity, Tony.

Canada - IMHO, no oval, no race.

I'll make this last point and be done because the facts are something you're apparently not interested in.

In NASCAR TODAY!

Tony Stewart since joining NASCAR in 1999 and driving Chevrolets:

CUP
32 wins
TWO Championships

Busch/Nationwide
7 wins

Craftsman Truck
2 wins

And for not so ancient history

Let's look at the last 10 years...

Chevrolet wins 7 manufacturers Championships over ten years with three different drivers two teams.

Facts are facts, opinions are just that.

Tony Stewart knows who's buttering his bread and he appreciates it. I applaud him for sticking to his guns and letting loyalty drive his decision.

He was not happy with the move Gibbs racing made and was not shy about letting people know it.

He drives a Toyota during his day job, everything else is Chevrolet. That's no Camry sitting in the parking lot in that Amour-All commerical.

BTW, Who's won the most cup races this season? Seems like a good team decision Gibbs made.

^^
Um, from 1999-2002, Tony drove (and won his first Championship) in a Pontiac.

Also, 5 of his 7 Busch/Nationwide series wins came in a Toyota Camry.

Tony wants out because Chevrolet supports his other teams and he wants all his engines and cars to be consistent. Whether he can win or not back in a Chevy remains to be seen. He gets the same support and engines as Hamlin and Bush get and they win more than he does. Tony seems to have a lot of bad luck this year with constant crashes.
It seems every time he is poised to win a race, something happens.

I'll make this last point and be done because the facts are something you're apparently not interested in.

In NASCAR TODAY!

Tony Stewart since joining NASCAR in 1999 and driving Chevrolets:

CUP
32 wins
TWO Championships

Busch/Nationwide
7 wins

Craftsman Truck
2 wins

And for not so ancient history

Let's look at the last 10 years...

Chevrolet wins 7 manufacturers Championships over ten years with three different drivers two teams.

Facts are facts, opinions are just that.

Tony Stewart knows who's buttering his bread and he appreciates it. I applaud him for sticking to his guns and letting loyalty drive his decision.

He was not happy with the move Gibbs racing made and was not shy about letting people know it.

He drives a Toyota during his day job, everything else is Chevrolet. That's no Camry sitting in the parking lot in that Amour-All commerical.

BTW, Who's won the most cup races this season? Seems like a good team decision Gibbs made.

No, there ius no Toyota in that commercial, but the Camry has been the best selling car in the US for most of the last 5 years, and you can't argue with that success.

Tony wants out because Chevrolet supports his other teams and he wants all his engines and cars to be consistent. Whether he can win or not back in a Chevy remains to be seen. He gets the same support and engines as Hamlin and Bush get and they win more than he does. Tony seems to have a lot of bad luck this year with constant crashes.
It seems every time he is poised to win a race, something happens.

And how many wins did Kyle Busch have before moving to Gibbs ?
The majority of Tony's wins are in GM cars.

Jimbo

^^
Um, from 1999-2002, Tony drove (and won his first Championship) in a Pontiac.

Also, 5 of his 7 Busch/Nationwide series wins came in a Toyota Camry.

Thanks for the correction, that's what I get for trying to organize three different streams of info while at work. :what

I should know better before inserting foot.

Well in all fairness, he was driving the test car for Johnson and Gordon, now he has full team support.

You REALLY believe that don't you ?

I suppose Mark Martin has to drive the testing car next year , right ?
Isn't Jr. driving the same car this year that Kyle was running last year ?
Casey Mears is still in the same car he had back then.

Jimbo

Darrell Waltrip was on Tony Stewart live today and asked Tony directly whether running Toyotas had anything to do with his decision.

Tony had nothing but positive things to say about the support that he's got from TRD and specifically mentioned getting to know Lee White.

I think that at the end of the day 99% of the decision process for Tony was simply that he wasn't just offered the not just richest contract in NASCAR history, but far and away the richest contract in NASCAR history by a ridiculous margin.

Goodbye Tony.:wave

Good driver, but terrible person, at least he comes across that way to me in TV. He doesn't do anything I see on TV or the races to change my view of him so far. He was the same way in the IRL too.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)