Too many receivers/Hard Drive issues

samlab25

Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
chicago, il
We have 5 dish receivers in our house: a 612, 622, two 722k's with slingboxes and a 922. One of the 722's was a recent replacement for a 922 after two hard drive failures. Now that 722 replacement has failed after 4 months. All in all we have 10 televisions and are adding one more to our household. I can't get Dish to commit to a decent setup for us. I've been told that it is not possible to have a hopper/joey system side by side with individual receivers, but I don't think I can get enough Hoppers with our current setup to make it worthwhile. I am so tired of having hard drives fail (5th one in two years). Any suggestions? I like the TV Anywhere App when it works. We were even able to watch our college team in the National Championship while overseas last year. I wish Dish would come up with customized systems that work for houses that have lots of tv's so we could make the best use of he equipment. It can be frustrating to have to remember where you've recorded shows and not be able to access them from everywhere. Are there any solutions I'm missing without just hopping along the way things are now? I'd like to think there should be a way to personalize/customize a system that suits out situation in this day and age.

We have 5 dish receivers in our house: a 612, 622, two 722k's with slingboxes and a 922. One of the 722's was a recent replacement for a 922 after two hard drive failures. Now that 722 replacement has failed after 4 months. All in all we have 10 televisions and are adding one more to our household. I can't get Dish to commit to a decent setup for us. I've been told that it is not possible to have a hopper/joey system side by side with individual receivers, but I don't think I can get enough Hoppers with our current setup to make it worthwhile. I am so tired of having hard drives fail (5th one in two years). Any suggestions? I like the TV Anywhere App when it works. We were even able to watch our college team in the National Championship while overseas last year. I wish Dish would come up with customized systems that work for houses that have lots of tv's so we could make the best use of he equipment. It can be frustrating to have to remember where you've recorded shows and not be able to access them from everywhere. Are there any solutions I'm missing without just hopping along the way things are now? I'd like to think there should be a way to personalize/customize a system that suits out situation in this day and age.

How many total tvs do you need service on?

Hard drive failures like yours are usually always one or both of two things...lack of proper receiver ventilation or "dirty" power in your home, the latter requiring an electrician to test/fix it.
10+ TVs???? Do you really use them all?

Somewhere in his very long post it says he has 10 TVs and he going to add one more...

Wow.. I agree with KAB but you could try calling in and ask to speak with someone regarding the Hopper and 9+ TVs and I believe someone will call you back if not speak to you right then regarding the Hopper options when you have that many TVs.

Hard drive failures like yours are usually always one or both of two things...lack of proper receiver ventilation or "dirty" power in your home, the latter requiring an electrician to test/fix it.

Yep...I wouldn't worry about getting any kind of new DVR until I figured out why you have such a high failure rate. I've had maybe 2 or 3 in 12 years.

Maybe we do have an outlet issue here and I can see if our electrician can look into it. We had the original DVR in here for quite awhile until we wanted to switch to HD, then to a 922. After three DVR's (2 922's and a 722K) I imagine there might either be problems with the quality of the DVR's we've been given (we had one additional 922 fail as well).

We do have 10, soon to be 11 televisions. We do use probably 4-5 on a daily basis, but the others are in areas of out home that get a little less use. I'll try speaking to Dish again. I think we're still stuck with all DVR's as a DVR and Hopper situation isn't possible for them right now. Thanks for the help on what to look for.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts