722K vs. Hopper vs. Verizon Fios Picture Quality Comparison Help

WGFA

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 15, 2007
PA
I would like to know if anyone here has the Hopper and if u also might have Verizion Fios? I would like to know how the 2 tuners compare to eachother. I have a 722k and Verizon Fios and the Picture quality between these 2 are very noticable. The Fios picture quality is much better. Not as flat, very sharp, no lag. Anyway I was just wondering if the tuner in my 722k is just older technology and the Hopper would be a good upgrade. any help would be great.

Ps. The reason I have both was when dish dropped AMC I got Fios. I would like to drop Fios but that dam pic quality keeps me hangin' on!!

I would like to know if anyone here has the Hopper and if u also might have Verizion Fios? I would like to know how the 2 tuners compare to eachother. I have a 722k and Verizon Fios and the Picture quality between these 2 are very noticable. The Fios picture quality is much better. Not as flat, very sharp, no lag. Anyway I was just wondering if the tuner in my 722k is just older technology and the Hopper would be a good upgrade. any help would be great.

Ps. The reason I have both was when dish dropped AMC I got Fios. I would like to drop Fios but that dam pic quality keeps me hangin' on!!

You're not going to beat FiOS PQ because they pretty much pass through the same quality picture that's received from the the source...no unneeded uplink/compression/modulation/variable bitrate encoding/etc. Of course, if the source material is terrible then you'll see that same terrible picture on FiOS TV. Having said this...get yourself a Tivo and cut ties with Dish Network who cannot touch Verizon's bundle savings, service quality, service reliability, etc.

I have Dish. I have Fios internet. I've considered moving to Fios exclusively, but like the Dish DVRs and have a huge amount on EHDs. All the same, economically I may soon be forced to move to Fios for TV also. After a period of minimum Dish service to watch/record to DVD from the EHDs. And seeing how well OTA & the Roku work for us.

You are not going to beat Fios PQ. Period. And their latest DVRs are very, very good.

Hopper PQ is a bit better than older Dish DVRs, or so I read. But still not up to Fios standards. You must consider other factors, such as which DVR & EHD system (such as D*) you prefer. And, of course, programming. There are a couple or so HD channels I can't get in HD on Fios, or at all. Others are available only on Fios. As long as I have the money, I'll stick with Dish. To cut my bill by bundling, I'd go with Fios, gaining some channels, losing some others.

Examine your options very, very carefully. But it's not life or death. You'll likely be happy whatever path you take.

FIOS takes what the provider broadcasts and sends it down their fiber. Dish has to take the picture and compress it. You just cannot not do compression and have the picture turn out as good as the original. At best it will be close, but most of the time it will be noticeable.

And furthermore, it's not uncompressed on FIOS. It's just not transcoded and bit-starved as it is on the sat providers.

WGFA said:
Ok thanks for the replies. I am not worried about ehd's and all just PQ between the dvr's. If I didn't want or to need to keep my "locals" ;-) I would leave Dish for Fios... Has anyone used this device for PQ improvements? http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?roi=echo4-21748548843-19394974-50149804f873a2b84aee781c3ff5163f&p=darblet&d=darbeevision-darblet-hdmi-video-processor-dvp-5000-(darblet)&sku=609408233920&utm_campaign=email_superbowl_supersavings_2013&utm_medium=email&utm_source=bluehornet&location=01

Yes, I I have a darbee and love it. I would say it makes just more than subtle improvements and does its best work with a very good source like bluray. It tends to make the picture slightly better but also makes compression artifacts more visible at the same time.

That being said, if I had Fios in my area I'd jump to it ASAP.

Correct. It is all re-encoded and compressed and then sent out. In fact, the much lauded--but often not so great--PQ quality of OTA is in fact the result of a number of re-encodes and compression all along the chain: Jay Leno show encoded and compressed for uplink to sat for NBC stations; after down-linked at station, decoded, and then re-encoded and sent via microwave link to transmitter, and then re-encoded and compressed again for final stage to be muxed at resolution and bit rate of choice by local broadcaster (meaning lower than 1920-- as used by Dish--is accepted HDTV standard, and then the bit rate to accommodate other "sub-channels), and then finally received by your OTA or the FiOS headend. Then Fios (and cable) de-codes, then re-encodes and compresses, but full resolution, most likely, and at, again most likely, the highest bit rate compared to all other MVPD's, but compression is quite necessary for efficient use of bandwidth. As stated in an earlier post, FiOS superior PQ is due to Verizon FiOS not being bandwidth starved that they can RE-ENCODE and COMPRESS in full resolution and very high bit rate. If the original resolution is maintained and at a very high bit rate all along the chain, you would have a very hard time seeing much difference from what is sent out to stations and what you see on your TV. The problem today is that a lot of broadcasters sending out OTA suffer from the same cable and sat bandwidth starved problems because they have multiple channels on the same usable 19MHz bandwidth using MPEG 2. OUCH! Some even cram 2 HD channels on the OTA. But, they all suffer a noticeable loss with the common us of only 10MHz for the main HD channel, and at any of the 9 HDTV standard resolutions and at a considerable bit rate loss.

Also, FiOS is Fiber to the Home (FTTH or FTTP for Fiber to the Premises), and upon arrival at the home, it is then "converted" (the closest word for time constraints) to QAM for distribution throughout the home, but preserves the outstanding PQ. On the other hand, it is AT&T Uverse that is Fiber to the Node, then using the more bandwidth limited copper to the home that would be inferior PQ compared to FiOS which more approximates Harshness's response about "jams it through" to refer to the process getting it to your home, but that is closer to the AT&T Uverse approach, not FiOS.

Yes, Verizon PQ can't be beat among MVPD's. In my case, the bundled service would cost me MORE, not less. I do like Dish a lot, but Verizon is the only service I could gladly move to.

Last edited:
Ok thanks for the replies. I am not worried about ehd's and all just PQ between the dvr's. If I didn't want or to need to keep my "locals" ;-) I would leave Dish for Fios... Has anyone used this device for PQ improvements? http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.as...edium=email&utm_source=bluehornet&location=01

How does this compare with Anchor Bay, Foroudja, or Marvell Qdeo chips found in external devices such as external HDMI switches like the DVDO Edge and A/V Receivers with such chips in them? I don't understand the claim of "depth" for the Darbee? Willing to learn. Is it a better value to invest in a A/V receiver doing the same or similar processing with all the extras and lots of fine control of processing with A/V receivers or like a DVDO Edge?

DishSubLA said:
How does this compare with Anchor Bay, Foroudja, or Marvell Qdeo chips found in external devices such as external HDMI switches like the DVDO Edge and A/V Receivers with such chips in them? I don't understand the claim of "depth" for the Darbee? Willing to learn. Is it a better value to invest in a A/V receiver doing the same or similar processing with all the extras and lots of fine control of processing with A/V receivers or like a DVDO Edge?

What darbee does is different than anything else out there today.

I wish fios was in Michigan. I heard they were coming this way but then they no longer would be expanding. It's a shame. How does u verse compare to fios ? I like the TiVo but wish it had channel logos on it. Doesn't TiVo have a list view with their guide ?

Thank you, but what is the "different than anything else"? Is Darbee built into any CE devices today, or is it just the stand alone device that we can get today?

Checkout there website to learn more about what it does. It is not offered in any other CE device today, but they just signed an agreement with Lumagen to have it in their next high-end processor.

Rather than derail this thread, let's take the discussion here, http://www.satelliteguys.us/threads/289607-Darbee-Darblet?highlight=darblet

Yes, Verizon PQ can't be beat among MVPD's. In my case, the bundled service would cost me MORE, not less. I do like Dish a lot, but Verizon is the only service I could gladly move to.

Been saying that for quite sometime now. I can compare both almost side by side when I am in Florida. I walk next door and see theirs. I can't say overall however that Fios is so much better and on some channels not at all, or that I would switch based only on PQ. But Fios would be on my list if I was to switch. My TV is calibrated and produces a great picture and that makes a big difference, plus I have a Darbee. I also wonder where people are getting such a good deal on bundling other than the promotion period. I pay much less by not bundling also. Fios is more expensive when I compare with Dish in Fl where I live also even with the recent Dish price increase.

Last edited:
Thank you, but what is the "different than anything else"? Is Darbee built into any CE devices today, or is it just the stand alone device that we can get today?

The Darbee is different. It does not exactly sharpen, I would compare it to the Photoshop function of "Unmasking." It's like it wipes clean the picture revealing features or making them clearer. It is especially good for facial features and outside scenes with foliage. But it also brings the background more into depth. It works better the better the material, so better with Blu-ray, than SD material for instance. Though I recently found using the higher settings does help SD. AvsForum has a good thread on it. Posters with thousands of posts and who obviously know their AV are sold on it.

...I also wonder where people are getting such a good deal on bundling other than the promotion period.

I just ask. In our case we're pretty much paying the same promotional price for our FiOS bundled as we did when we had service installed in March 2008. We just pay our bills as soon as we receive them and I call in every year to ask for the promotion price. Also, for the past 2 1/2 years I've been maintaining a second home (out old house in Virginia) and I have Comcast since FiOS has been 3-miles away for the past 6-years. I pay $119.99 per month for the digital premiere (includes HBO, MAX, TMC, Starx, Showtime and Sports Package) because I called and told them my situation...and that comes with 30/10 Mbps Internet too. If I didn't get the discount I would drop down to Internet and OTA since that's all I really need and want to pay for these days.

No matter how much bandwidth FIOS throws at a channel, it cannot create a better picture than what the provider originally sends. You will notice a huge difference on some channels that send a great picture with minimal compression on FIOS. You will probably not notice the difference on other channels.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)