Too much signal?

jgantert

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 7, 2004
Aberdeen, MD
Well, I've been having a little trouble with my Comcast HD signal. It pixelates a little bit and I drop sound for a second or so. It happens very infrequently most of the time, but occasionally can be annoying. Today the guy was out checking my signals, and he said their was too much power at my cable box outside. Does this make sence? Can there really be too much power?

Just wondering,
-John

yes, it is possible that you have to much power. someone a few days ago had a similar experience. he said the installer split the cable in the attic to create two feeds. the strenght of the signal was decreased on the feeds. he said it solved the problem. the real problem is finding a tech that knows what they are doing.

The channels I was having troubles with was INHD, ESPNHD and the local ABC-HD channels. My SA8300HD box gives me level of 11 on these channels (highlighted in orange -- indicating an error, I think).

I already have 4 TVs and a cable modem. He didn't even come inside, he just measured the outside box and said the problem was there and put in a service request.

-John

jgantert said:
My SA8300HD box gives me level of 11 on these channels (highlighted in orange -- indicating an error, I think).

-John

Yellow is just a warning that the signal is out of norm. I believe the norm is +10 to -10 for the HD channels. I think it goes red at +18 to -18. My main tv runs at +11 to +12 routinely with no problems seen. My 2nd runs at +6.

On the SA 8x00 HD boxes, hold down the pause button on the remote till the mailbox lights up on the unit. Then press the page up button to go thru the 30 some diagnostic pages.

Some of my HD channels are listed as level 15. I thought lower was worse, tho. I guess maybe he is correct that I do have too much signal! Maybe I'll just insert another split before the DVR and see what happens. :)

jgantert said:
On the SA 8x00 HD boxes, hold down the pause button on the remote till the mailbox lights up on the unit. Then press the page up button to go thru the 30 some diagnostic pages.

Some of my HD channels are listed as level 15. I thought lower was worse, tho. I guess maybe he is correct that I do have too much signal! Maybe I'll just insert another split before the DVR and see what happens. :)

How do the analog channels look like? Too many splits and you might degrade the quality of the analog channels.

Umm... The analog channels look like well... analog. :) They're ok I guess on an analog TV < 27". On my 52" HDTV they look like crap, tho.

korsjs, should work for all SARA systems.

You can also do it this way using the buttons on the unit itself: Diagnostic menu for SA systems is available by pressing the "select" button on the front of the box (2-3 sec) until the mail message indicator lights up, then pressing "info".

Good luck,
-John

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)