Too much signal?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

PopcornNMore

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 20, 2005
Gibsonia, PA
Is it possible to get too much signal and get unstable video?

When using the Invacom 0.3dB with a 1.2m dish certain channels that have a high signal tend to be unstable and the video breaks up. The highest signal srength on the Coolsat 4000 Pro is 85.

The following channels have unstable video, but have a high signal strength of 83 to 85:
FOX - Beamont
ABC News Now
INFO on AMC3

When using my 0.5dB LNBF on the 1.2m dish the signal strength on these channels is lower (around 75-80) but the video is stable.

Weird…..I don’t know

I know ABCNewsNow use to be unstable for a long time but I think that’s fixed. I haven’t had any issues on Fox Beaumont (using a .3 and a 76cm dish)

I assume its possible.

I suppose it's possible to overdrive your receiver, but I don't think you're going to do it with that setup.

If you want to, throw an attenuator in line.

Your automatic gain control should adjust the gain to compensate for a stronger signal. On the StarChoice (Motorola box) you can view the AGC level. Most receivers will have a minimum and maximum AGC. With a 1.2m dish, you should not reach the upper limit for a signal. If you want to try an attenuator, just put something infront of your LNBF that still lets some of the signal through.

A stupid question, but is your dish motorized? I was wondering if you tried bumping your dish a little to decrease the signal just to see what would happen?

It's been a long time ago, but when I worked with RF amps, we'd do a test where the amplifier would be overdriven to put it into compression. The higher the input (after a certain level) the lower the output. I'm not saying that this is what is happening though. Just a thought that I had. I've forgotten so much, and I doubt that it really ties in with receiver design anyway.

It would be interesting to hear what you come up with.

Good luck.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)