Tool experience to pass on

global0

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 31, 2006
37N, 121W
I recently noticed that a few of my RG6 connections were not good and needed to be re-done. So, with my gadget hat on :D (honey, we have a problem and I need to fix it and BTW I need a tool :D ) I head down to my local home depot and found a ratcheting crimping tool from IDEAL http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDU...ID=ccfiaddhijedghfcgelceffdfgidgio.0&MID=9876. Paid over $51 after tax and went home. So, I started on the first conenctor and found that it seems the tool is not powerful enough to crimp the barrel and pressed it even more and more. I finally gave up on that after three attempts as there were no adjustments and I couldn't get the tool to crimp the connector properly. So, went back to HD and complained and replaced it with a second IDEAL. Went back home and tried it, same results. The tool was designed to break the user's wrist rather than crimping conenctors. IMHO, what a piece of junk!
Now, I am mad and need a tool. So, after some research on internet and reading a couple of forums, I found this tool: http://store.yahoo.com/technicalconnectionsinc/sa31rargcrto.html for less money which BTW provides PERFECT crimps, completly sealed and a nice hex. BUY it if you need a crimper. Two thumbs up :up :up
I have re-done my connectors and it does a very nice job. Thought to pass it on in case anybody cares as I beleive in promoting and supporting good thinking and design.

Last edited:
Globalo, you are a life-saver. I turned on my computer tonight for the specific task of finding a compression tool to re-do my Home Depot Special crimps. I'm so angry that my "Data Shark" tool does not fully compress the connectors it was supposedly designed for. I thank you very much for finding this gem and I wish you luck in the future!

Last edited:
global0 said:
I recently noticed that a few of my RG6 connections were not good and needed to be re-done. So, with my gadget hat on :D (honey, we have a problem and I need to fix it and BTW I need a tool :D ) I head down to my local home depot and found a ratcheting crimping tool from IDEAL http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDU...ID=ccfiaddhijedghfcgelceffdfgidgio.0&MID=9876. Paid over $51 after tax and went home. So, I started on the first conenctor and found that it seems the tool is not powerful enough to crimp the barrel and pressed it even more and more. I finally gave up on that after three attempts as there were no adjustments and I couldn't get the tool to crimp the connector properly. So, went back to HD and complained and replaced it with a second IDEAL. Went back home and tried it, same results. The tool was designed to break the user's wrist rather than crimping conenctors. IMHO, what a piece of junk!
Now, I am mad and need a tool. So, after some research on internet and reading a couple of forums, I found this tool: http://store.yahoo.com/technicalconnectionsinc/sa31rargcrto.html for less money which BTW provides PERFECT crimps, completly sealed and a nice hex. BUY it if you need a crimper. Two thumbs up :up :up
I have re-done my connectors and it does a very nice job. Thought to pass it on in case anybody cares as I beleive in promoting and supporting good thinking and design.

YOWZA! I got one given to me from a professional friend and it's every bit as good as you say-I just did not think to post here about. I got it wrong-thanks for thinking of everyone instead of being a thoughtless secret keeper like me!

Hex fittings are in a word "sh*t", if you want longevity and reliability then go with a true compression fitting and compression tool, otherwise all it takes is a bit of moisture running down the line into the hex or a simple tug on the line and out comes the coax.

My compression crimpers don't compress some brands of connectors. I was wondering if anyone knew of an adjustable compression crimper. I'm more than a little disappointed... the $59 crimper I bought today actually crimps fewer kinds of connectors than the $15 universal one I got a few months ago.

aegrotatio said:
My compression crimpers don't compress some brands of connectors. I was wondering if anyone knew of an adjustable compression crimper. I'm more than a little disappointed... the $59 crimper I bought today actually crimps fewer kinds of connectors than the $15 universal one I got a few months ago.

Depends on who makes the compression tool. The one we sell at the Dishstore will do Gilberts, PPC and Sterling.

There is one other one out there that I believe is made by cable Prep which we are looking into carrying that has interchangable Dies where it will do just about everything including RCA connectors...
http://www.cableprep.com/term.htm

Van said:
Hex fittings are in a word "sh*t", if you want longevity and reliability then go with a true compression fitting and compression tool, otherwise all it takes is a bit of moisture running down the line into the hex or a simple tug on the line and out comes the coax.

I don't think I'd go that far. I installed thousands of fittings with a simple hex crimper
during the 11 years I was in the satellite business and never had a problem. I did run across some really bad crimp jobs from time to time. But if you strip the coax properly, use the correct fitting for the cable type, and crimp it properly, it works just fine and will last for years. As far as moisture goes, I always flooded any outdoor F-connectors with dielectric silicone grease. I would also do that if I was going to use a compression fitting.

Lynskyn said:
I don't think I'd go that far. I installed thousands of fittings with a simple hex crimper
during the 11 years I was in the satellite business and never had a problem. I did run across some really bad crimp jobs from time to time. But if you strip the coax properly, use the correct fitting for the cable type, and crimp it properly, it works just fine and will last for years. As far as moisture goes, I always flooded any outdoor F-connectors with dielectric silicone grease. I would also do that if I was going to use a compression fitting.

Your one of the exceptions for prepping, Ive replaced so many lines and hex fittings due to moisture damage or the line pulling right out of the fitting like a straw getting pulled out of its wrapper that if I had a dollar for each one I could buy a new car ( something economy and tiny but still new ). I dont like them specialy outside because very very few techs use the grease.

This is why most cable companies, before going with the compression style connectors, used either air-shrink or the rubber sleeve/boots with a small amount of grease. I'm with Van on this one. All the years I did cable showed that the hex-crimps were junk. Especially with a digital signal. Too many times you would find an improperly crimped fitting. Most often due to out adjustment with the crimpers themselves.

Lynskyn said:

Concurring with "Lynskyn" if you follow the recommended procedures, using the right f-connector (outdoor version with silicon) and put dielectric grease on top of that, it will never fail. I have many conenctors outside that have been there for years under rain and never had a problem.
I do have a compression tool as well, but I like the crimper better. I have been able to pull the co-ax out of the barrel after it was compressed using the compression tool, but not the new crimper.

aegrotatio said:
Globalo, you are a life-saver. I turned on my computer tonight for the specific task of finding a compression tool to re-do my Home Depot Special crimps. I'm so angry that my "Data Shark" tool does not fully compress the connectors it was supposedly designed for. I thank you very much for finding this gem and I wish you luck in the future!

You are absolutely welcome. Glad I could help. Good luck to you too :)

The industry's strongest, easiest to use and most long lasting compression tool is the adjustable Cable Prep steel framed T-5000. It has the highest plunger force to hand exertion level.

http://www.cableprep.com/term.htm

As one who has used virtually every type of tool and connector out there, the Ideal tool should have compressed the connector fully. Some users do not understand the comresiion lengths of certain tools and connectors.

The tools we have sited on these post compress the connector at the bottom of the nut ferule. If using the correct tool and matching connector, one does not get a full compress, it is due to operator error. The two most common error are improper stripping and placing of the connector or cutting the center conductor too long. In the case that the center conductor is cut too long, it bottoms in the socket of the compression tool's tip, as to cause the center insulator to recede into the cable.

Don't forget to use some dielectric grease regardless of compression or crimped connector. I have seen compressed fittings be just as bad if not worse than crimped.

Rg6 crimping problems

My problem is with RG6 quad cable. I find it extremely difficult to work the connector down into the cable before I even do the crimp. I have an Ideal Crimpmaster tool that appears to handle the crimping OK, but that quad cable is something else! I purchased a very large roll of the RG6 from Home Depot. Did I simply get bad cable, or what? Doesn't anyone else have a problem with quad cable???

Leo

There are special fittings for quad shield cable. The standard RG-6 fittings do not work well with quad shield, I am guessing that is the problem.

A lot has to do with the quality of the cable strip and preparation.

I prepared this document for Snap-N-Seal connectors. The Ideal ones are made by PPC and are Snap-N-Seal clones.

Stripping and installing connectors on RG6QS Coax

Careful preparation of the cable end is very very important, especially with quad shielded cable. Sloppy preparation will result is the ruining of the tool and failure to set the Snap-N-Seal connector properly.

1. Place the inner sleeve of the Snap-N-Seal connector with the wide end away from the end of the cable.

2. Strip off the outer jacket of the cable and a portion of the center conductor as instructed by the document provided with the tool.

3. Carefully fold back the outer shielding wires against the outer jacket of the cable evenly, exposing the inner shielding wires.

4. Carefully cut away the outer foil shielding layer, and remove it to exposed the inner shielding wires.

5. Carefully and evenly fold back the inner shielding wires evenly against the outer jacket.

6. Snap off the main body of the connector and insert it fully on the cable end. The connector is fully inserted when the center connector is level with the end of the connector, when looking inside the nut.

7. Compress the connector on the cable with the proper compression tool.

The higher end PPC EX series are easier to insert and are coveted by professionals as among the best. They work with standard, tri and quad shielded cables.

RG6 quad shield problem

To: Vipers-pit
I am using the appropriate quad shield connectors. I should clarify that the crimping tool I'm using is actually a Data Shark 7005. The Ideal that I had mentioned was my old one. However, that's all irrelevant to my problem.

To: Mike500
Thanks very much for what sounds like very valuable info. I'll look into the PPC connectors this weekend. The price of the connectors is not a concern to me. At the moment, I don't understand your instructions but I don't have time yet to look into it. It does appear that you're describing quite a labor intensive operation though. I haven't been peeling the cable back at all but, after stripping the cable appropriately with the stripping tool, simply jamming the connector down underneath the outer layer. (Or trying to, anyway.)

Leo

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)