Tool experience to pass on

In a pinch, when I do not have the correct quad connector on the truck, using my method, I have used connectors designed for regular shielded cable for quad shielded cable.

Your biggest mistake is just shoving the connector onto the stripped cable. Granted, I've had cheap cable that did not accept the connectors readily, but good technique is everything.

Quad shielded cable requires more intensive preparation than standard regular shielded cable.

RG6 quad cable

To: Mike500

"Quad shielded cable requires more intensive preparation than standard regular shielded cable."

NOW I find this out! Anyone want to buy a somewhat used roll of a gazillion miles of RG6 quad cable cheap? They should put a sign on this stuff in capital letters, in bold red type stating: STAY AWAY - FAR, FAR AWAY!!!

Leo

Good preparation is a learned techniqe. I've done over 10,000 connectors over the past 25 years.

After you've done a few, you will see what I mean.

Quad shielded connectors require about three times as long to do as standard connectors to do right.

I've known professional installers to do them wrong or to do a bad job on them.

That's one reason cable companies have switched to 88% trishield as their cable of choice.

RG6 quad cable

Mike500,

If I were to swallow my quad cable as a bad investment and go to 88% trishield, would I be able to just jam the connector down into the cable (prior to crimping) without having to have hands like King Kong?

Leo

leob said:
Mike500,

If I were to swallow my quad cable as a bad investment and go to 88% trishield, would I be able to just jam the connector down into the cable (prior to crimping) without having to have hands like King Kong?

Leo

I've never had trouble with Commscope, Belden or Times Fiber. These are the best and accepts connectors easily.

The worst cables are made by Eagle Aspen/Probrand and some Chinese manufacturers.

Mike500 said:
I've never had trouble with Commscope, Belden or Times Fiber. These are the best and accepts connectors easily.

The worst cables are made by Eagle Aspen/Probrand and some Chinese manufacturers.
I HATE BELDEN!!!!!

I had to replace en entire house because of Belden. I did use the 60% shielded cable, but it still should have been better. About 3 years after I did the install, most of it on the outside of a house, my friends started compalining about the picture; they were on cable. When I went to put a new connector on, I found the center conductor BLACK, yes the cable actually allowed moisture to reach the center conductor throughout the cable.

I replaced it with some Coleman. The guy at my local electronics store said that I was the only one to ever complain about Belden.

I had put some in another friend's house, this time on an antenna. It was also black from moisture.

Maybe, i just got a bad reel.

As far as compression connectors. I honestly think that the old PPC blue gel-filled connectors are just as good as any compression connector. Yes, some of the crimps were cheap, but those PPC multi-fit crimp ones were just as good as SNS.

miguelaqui said:
I HATE BELDEN!!!!!

I had to replace en entire house because of Belden. I did use the 60% shielded cable, but it still should have been better. About 3 years after I did the install, most of it on the outside of a house, my friends started compalining about the picture; they were on cable. When I went to put a new connector on, I found the center conductor BLACK, yes the cable actually allowed moisture to reach the center conductor throughout the cable.

I replaced it with some Coleman. The guy at my local electronics store said that I was the only one to ever complain about Belden.

I had put some in another friend's house, this time on an antenna. It was also black from moisture.

Maybe, i just got a bad reel.

As far as compression connectors. I honestly think that the old PPC blue gel-filled connectors are just as good as any compression connector. Yes, some of the crimps were cheap, but those PPC multi-fit crimp ones were just as good as SNS.

not a bad real, I have had several different brands of cable and I have had problem with moisture to the center. It's usually caused by not using grease. I usually strip back to clean and make sure I use dielectric grease which pretty much takes care of the moisture issue. I have had some without grease and moisture got in, those that I have used grease on, never had a problem with any of them. using dielectric grease makes a big difference. I have satellite installers around here all the time not using it. Of course because of that, when I switch them to cable, they all had moisture in the connectors and even the center pin corroded in two. there lost, not mine. :)

Last edited:
cablewithaview said:
not a bad real, I have had several different brands of cable and I have had problem with moisture to the center. It's usually caused by not using grease. I usually strip back to clean and make sure I use dielectric grease which pretty much takes care of the moisture issue. I have had some without grease and moisture got in, those that I have used grease on, never had a problem with any of them. using dielectric grease makes a big difference. I have satellite installers around here all the time not using it. Of course because of that, when I switch them to cable, they all had moisture in the connectors and even the center pin corroded in two. there lost, not mine. :)[/QUNot just near the connector....along the entire span!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)