Top EHD choices

I have two VIP 722 units that service HD screens. I am interested in furthering my choices of EHD brands to purchase. Would you help me choose one? I have researched and searched, and this forum is also one of my tools to read before the purchase.
Please reply with your favorite brand and storage size, and why that one is tops. I appreciate your help, and experience.

Want to thank elwaylite, glen242, KAB, MikeD-CO5, and Navychop for being my instructors on EHD 101. Today I learned a great deal, 99% of which was new. Glad I asked before shopping. I appreciate your taking the time to reply and give me your advice.

Is the Mybook the same as DVR Expander?
Do the names look or sound the same?

The model numbers are different. The mind verily boggles.

You would do well to distinguish between the various My Book models. There are at least seven of them as well as assorted capacities.

For those who can't find Western Digital's website, there are two different My DVR Expanders:

1. eSATA (1TB, 500GB)
2. USB (500GB)

The eSATA version would certainly be a bad choice for a DISH Network receiver.

I have decided I need to use the Seagate 1.5 as a backup for my new PC, so I will not be trying it out as an EHD.

Do the names look or sound the same?

The model numbers are different. The mind verily boggles.

You would do well to distinguish between the various My Book models. There are at least seven of them as well as assorted capacities.

For those who can't find Western Digital's website, there are two different My DVR Expanders:

1. eSATA (1TB, 500GB)
2. USB (500GB)

The eSATA version would certainly be a bad choice for a DISH Network receiver.

Thanks harshness,
Knowing the difference between #1 and 2 would be important to me. Thanks for distinguishing the eSATA. Additionally, I am glad about the choices of MyBook models. Will research them on WD site.

Lord_Vader and navychop,

Thanks to both of you for continuing to help me in this decision process. You two know more than I do, and the more info I read, the better choices I have. So thanks, even if they are different.

Np. It depends on what you want to do. If you can accept the risk that you may (eventually) have a failure and loose data (shows), then most drives are fine. I agree that Seagate drives have lost their way in recent years.

If you want to almost eliminate the risk of data loss, then the RAID 1 solution would be something to look at. The drives would mirror each other. In the event of a drive failure, you would replace the bad drive and set the mirror back up. The data would survive on the good drive.

The RAID solution is hardware based, so it will be transparent to the DISH unit. It will cost more as well, so thats something to consider. If you want a single drive. then "my books" and usb drives would work well.

If you have questions, please ask. I'd be happy to help.

I wasn't exactly shopping around for a HDD, but when looking for a tuner card I saw this.

Dell Coupons and Dell Coupon Code

They have a 20% off storage ( HDD ) that expires today and 15% off accesories that expires Oct 31, 2009. Its one or the other. I added a 1 TB mybook to the cart and it was about $107 with free shipping.

Newegg has it for about the same price, but maybe you could play around with the discounts and get something better.

How does that work for backing up a drive. Do you put two empty drives in and have to setup the RAID, or does it do it itself.

One drive is just like a mirror right?

I couldnt resist the redundancy, just ordered the My Book 2tb mirror from amazon.

I missed those when I bought the 1tb, or woulda picked one up.

Gonna put my 500gb and 1tb drives in the classifieds now :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)