Toshiba DLP Issue

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

JAG72

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Feb 16, 2006
Earth
I currently have a Toshiba 50HM66 DLP TV that has just begun having an issue today.

Please notice the nice dark wedge on the top of the screen. Does anybody have a clue what might cause this? This happens with both my Directv HR20 and PS3 connected via HDMI and component.

Attachments

• P8310005.JPG
    P8310005.JPG
    287.2 KB · Views: 257
I currently have a Toshiba 50HM66 DLP TV that has just begun having an issue today.

Please notice the nice dark wedge on the top of the screen. Does anybody have a clue what might cause this? This happens with both my Directv HR20 and PS3 connected via HDMI and component.

I have a 56HM66. This is a known issue at Toshiba and you will need a new light engine. Fortunately, Toshiba issued an extended warranty on this problem and will replace your light engine at no charge. For further information, check this site:

TACP Customer Support

Good luck with the repair. Sometimes the info we can provide here turns out to be good news :)

Thank you for the quick response.

This is good news as my serial number is one that shows it may be impacted. I also have a extended warranty that will also help with the fix. Now my question is should I allow Toshiba or Best Buy replace the light engine? I am assuming that Toshiba just outsources this type of work also.

I think you need to contact Toshiba and they authorize the repair. Don't know who they send. It may very well be BB.

contact your warranty provider (if you still have extended warranty in effect). Do not contact Toshiba if you have an valid extended warranty.

For recall issues, the warranty companies will usually refer you back to te manufacturer. Their problem, their cost. Happened to me with my Mits.

S~

For recall issues, the warranty companies will usually refer you back to te manufacturer. Their problem, their cost. Happened to me with my Mits.

S~

Exactly. Greg is right for normal warranty, but this is a special extended warranty by Toshiba, tied to a known problem. If you read the page I referenced above, you will see that they say to contact Toshiba in this case. (oops. reread the page and the statement to contact Toshiba appears in the page after they validate s/n)

I tried to call Toshiba but they were closed for the weekend and holidays. I was able to get through to Best Buy and they will be here on Tuesday morning. The worst thing that happens is that they say to call Toshiba and I will do that. I won't get through to Toshiba until Tuesday so I figured I would at least give Best Buy a try.

Well Best Buy was out yesterday and they put the new light engine on order for me without any question. They were well aware of the Toshiba recall and that did not make a difference. Now it is just a waiting game for the part to get here.

Well Best Buy was out yesterday and they put the new light engine on order for me without any question. They were well aware of the Toshiba recall and that did not make a difference. Now it is just a waiting game for the part to get here.

Glad it worked out. I'm just a little surprised, but in a happy way.

Thanks to everybody that responded with information. BB was out today and replaced the light engine and bulb. Now the picture looks just as good as the 1st day that we brought it home. The only thing I wish is that they would have just left the bulb and let us replace it at a latter time. The one that was in it know was only 4 months old.

Dumb. I doubt they could reuse it with a customer. Maybe they plan to use it as a spare for display units. I hope they don't just waste it.

Of course, maybe one of them owns a unit that uses that bulb.......:p

The light engine kit from Toshiba had the bulb as part of the kit. Since it was a recall I bet that they will have to send it back into them to them. I know when Toshiba sent me a new bulb 4 months ago I had to send the defective one back to them as well. If I didn't they were going to charge me for it.

The light engine kit from Toshiba had the bulb as part of the kit. Since it was a recall I bet that they will have to send it back into them to them. I know when Toshiba sent me a new bulb 4 months ago I had to send the defective one back to them as well. If I didn't they were going to charge me for it.

You've convinced me. My bulb has many hours on it now. I should replace it before it blows. My light engine is also subject to recall, and when it goes, I'd like to have an old bulb available to plug in before the repair crew comes by.

Off to eBay.

You've convinced me. My bulb has many hours on it now. I should replace it before it blows. My light engine is also subject to recall, and when it goes, I'd like to have an old bulb available to plug in before the repair crew comes by.

Off to eBay.

Good idea

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)