Toshiba HDA2

Leprechuan

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
I just won the Toshiba HDA2 on eBay!

Does anyone know if it plays SACD or DVD audio and would HDMI be the best way to hook it up?
Also, how do I update the player since I dont have a connection the broadband in the living room, can I download to a CD?

I am so happy!

Leprechuan

Not sure about the DVD audio. You can go to the Toshiba web site and download the firmware, and burn it to a cd as an ISO image, then load it on the A2. HDMI is the way to go if your monitor has an HDMI input. Congrats on your win and good luck. I have an A2 and LOVE it.

I wound up calling Toshiba and ordering the update via disc. I do not have broadband in the living room.
All I need now is a good place to buy HD DVD's.

The Zenith DVD player that I've been using will be donated to the nursing home where my Mother in law is at as the one had was stolen a few months back.

Peace,

Leprechuan

I wound up calling Toshiba and ordering the update via disc. I do not have broadband in the living room.

It does not play SACD's or the true DVD-A's. Amazon, DVDEmpire, Ebay, Fry's, Wal-Mart and the satellite guys classifieds all have listings for HD-DVD's. Best Buy, Borders, Circuit City and Barnes and Noble also sell HD-DVD's. However, they are much pricier than Amazon, etc.

allargon, what do you mean by "true DVD-A's"? I have a few DVD-A discs and all of them play just fine on my A2 with 5.1 channel surround. I was assuming that leprechaun was just asking if they will play.

Unless you mean, the slightly lower quality output of (I think) 96khz and no MLP decoding, but oddly isn't Dolby TrueHD based on MLP so I would have thought the decoder would handle it or at least firmware update to enable it. Probably too simplistic of thinking though.

I never used my A2 for the playback. I was given a Harman Kardon DVD48 with a bunch of DVD-A and SACD discs and I use that for my music CD's

Last edited:
Since most DVD-A discs contain a Dolby Digital 5.1 track in addition to higher-quality lossless audio tracks, then technically they are playable on any DVD player, HD-A2 is no exception.

So, yes you can play it, but you are not going to get the quality of sound that DVD-A is intended for.

The Zenith DVD player that I've been using will be donated to the nursing home where my Mother in law is at as the one had was stolen a few months back.

Peace,

Leprechuan

where do u live -- Most large cities have a used CD warehouse store and the ones here in the Pittsburgh area have a nice used selection and all titles are $14.99. I have purchased a few and they work great. Money back guarantee if they don't work at my store

where do u live -- Most large cities have a used CD warehouse store and the ones here in the Pittsburgh area have a nice used selection and all titles are $14.99. I have purchased a few and they work great. Money back guarantee if they don't work at my store

Have you read one single post in this thread? Check the topic you are replying to.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)