Toshiba won’t show new TVs at CES, is it quitting the game in the U.S.?

gadgtfreek

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
May 29, 2006
Lower Alabama
In a statement released on Tuesday, Toshiba said it will not be bringing any new TV models to the Consumer Electronics Show (CES) next week in Las Vegas, a seminal event that marks the debut for many major TV manufacturers’ new TV lineups.

“Toshiba Corporation is currently evaluating the business model for the U.S. consumer TV market as part of the company’s measures to reform its Visual Products business worldwide,” the statement reads. “Toshiba will announce the details when the decision has been finalized in the next few months.” That’s not a good sign.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/toshiba-exit-us-tv-market-ces/

I wonder how much of this was Toshiba betting on HD-DVD. The timeframe seems to match when their TVs also started losing share. As we all know, success is in the consumer electronic market is dependent not only on stores like Best Buy carrying the products, but also on actively promoting them.

I noticed that as HD-DVD died, the Toshiba sets ended up in less favorable slots on the Best Buy displays and was seldom mentioned in advertising

I guess my 40" Toshiba Regza dying late last year was an omen... It was a fine 1080p set, beautiful picture with minimal bezel width (one of the first).

But maybe Toshiba figures that the money spent at a show like CES could be better spent elsewhere. I wonder if they have a private suite tucked away somewhere on the strip?

Sadly, it sounds more like a towel being thrown. We certainly had hints that Tosh was on the way out. Frankly, I'm surprised Sony is still in the money losing retail TV game. For them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts