"Toshiba unveils another Blu-ray 'killer'"

diogen

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 16, 2007
Taken from here
Toshiba unveils another Blu-ray 'killer' - Personal Computer World
(very slow site, I'm pasting the whole text...)
Toshiba is working on an extension to the DVD format which will offer video quality comparable to that produced by Blu-ray and HD-DVD discs, according to Japanese media reports.
The company plans to begin selling a DVD player based on the new technology within six months, Japanese daily Yomiuri Shimbun reported yesterday citing unnamed sources at Toshiba.

The new enhanced DVD players will be sold at lower prices than Blu-ray players, according to the sources.

Toshiba ceded to the rival Blu-ray format in February 2008 after spending years developing its own HD-DVD next-generation video disc standard.
HD-DVD was backed by a consortium of companies including Microsoft and Intel, while Sony is the lead developer of Blu-ray.
The new DVD player will be backwards-compatible with standard DVD discs, according to the sources.

One Japanese report appeared to suggest that the new technology would be able produce much higher-resolution images from existing DVDs, but did not address the apparent impossibility of this claim.

The modified DVD format relies on a newly-developed large scale integrated circuit chip to rapidly convert the stored video, but no technical details were released.
Manufacturers have attempted to extend the lifespan of existing storage technologies by adding additional data which can be used by new players but ignored by older players.
For example, hybrid Super Audio CDs (SACDs) can be played in traditional CD players but produce higher quality audio when played in special players. However, SACDs have failed to meet sales targets.
I know, I know, very cryptic and there is probably hardly any fire where this smoke comes from, but to spoil Sony's plan for world domination could be enough...

I suspect Toshiba didn't get paid enough to shut up and embrace Sony as the saviour...

Diogen.

I think this idea - a new format - has less life in it than HD DVD has at the moment. And looking at the wording it sounds like a bad babelfish...

New generation upconverters (based on Cell that Toshiba now manufactures) could be of interest.

But I don't think either of the ideas will go far... Just to spoil Sony's party...

Diogen.

looking at the wording it sounds like a bad babelfish...
I found the original story, and did a loose manual translation.
????????? DVD ???????????????? Blu-ray ?? HD-DVD ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? DVD ????????????

??????? DVD ???Blu-ray ???????????????????????????????????????????

???? Blu-ray ???? 2008 ?????????? HD-DVD ????????HD-DVD ???????????????????Microsoft ?? Intel ???? Sony ?????? Blu-ray ???????? DVD ??????????????? DVD ????

??????????????????????????? DVD ????????

?????????? DVD ???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????SACD?????????????? CD ????????????????????? SACD ??????
Translation:
Toshiba is not working on any extension to the DVD format that could offer video quality comparable to that produced by Blu-ray and HD-DVD discs, according to Japanese media reports.

The company has been selling DVD players based on regular, existing technology for more than six months, Japanese daily Yomiuri Shimbun reported yesterday citing unnamed sources at Toshiba.

Most standard DVD players are sold at lower prices than Blu-ray players, according to the sources.

Toshiba ceded to the rival Blu-ray format in February 2008 after spending years developing its own HD-DVD next-generation video disc standard.
HD-DVD was backed by a consortium of companies including Microsoft and Intel, while Sony is the lead developer of Blu-ray.
Standard DVD players are compatible with standard DVD discs, according to the sources.

One Japanese report appeared to suggest that no new technology would be able to produce much higher-resolution images from existing DVDs, while maintaining decent picture quality.

(The final paragraph I was a little unsure about, as it seemed to say something about a rabbit, then partially explained the theory of relativity).

So... the above is completely made up, if you haven't noticed yet. ;)

The limitations of the red laser are known. But they could certainly produce much higher PQ than current DVDs, but for only a few minutes. Might need to speed up the disc to get any bit rate improvements.

IOW, still going nowhere.

Toshiba unveils another Blu-ray 'killer'

Toshiba unveils another Blu-ray 'killer' - Yahoo! News UK

Toshiba is working on an extension to the DVD format which will offer video quality comparable to that produced by Blu-ray and HD-DVD discs, according to Japanese media reports.
b

The company plans to begin selling a DVD player based on the new technology within six months, Japanese daily Yomiuri Shimbun reported yesterday citing unnamed sources at Toshiba.
The new enhanced DVD players will be sold at lower prices than Blu-ray players, according to the sources.
The new DVD player will be backwards-compatible with standard DVD discs, according to the sources.
One Japanese report appeared to suggest that the new technology would be able produce much higher-resolution images from existing DVDs, but did not address the apparent impossibility of this claim.
The modified DVD format relies on a newly-developed large scale integrated circuit chip to rapidly convert the stored video, but no technical details were released.
Manufacturers have attempted to extend the lifespan of existing storage technologies by adding additional data which can be used by new players but ignored by older players.

YAWN.......:sleeo

Seriously, if you own a dvd player now, why jump up to this instead of just waiting on a BR player to hit your price range.

Hmmmm, let me trade in my good upconverting player, for a SUPER DUPER upconverting player, instead of buying a blu-ray player. :tux:

Why dont Toshiba just give up.I mean HD-DVD didnt make.What makes them think this will.Everyone will buy BLU-Ray even more when the prices start to come down.

Why haven't they learned this old adage by now? IF you can't beat them, then join them. They are missing out on the gravey train by not creating new Toshiba blu-ray players. They sound like me that want to hurt blu-ray by doing this and creating a split once again in who will be the new format. You know spite factor and revenge.

Moving discussion to the War Zone and merging two threads.

It took Sony something like 15 years after they came out with Beta to start producing VHS players. Some companies take longer to learn that old adage than others.

Great news!

I'd like to see the details of the technology. Probably something like wobulation (which I understand is something like half-line off-set line maximizing), or perhaps pseudo-3D. Even a 50% improvement using 540P DVDs as the base would put you in the 720P range, which is HD, and if that is combined with 120hz repetition the effect could be darn good.

If they can do that and keep the price of the machine below $100 they might be able to blow BR away. :hungry: Poof!

Fitzie

Or, could just be another Super-Bit type of format, and we all know how well Sony did with that one... not to mention the fact, Toshiba would need to get some studios on board with the new format, and we all know how well they did in that arena with HD DVD.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts