Toslink audio problems/advice

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

jpmarto

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Aug 26, 2007
E. of Seattle
I need an education on Toslink :confused:, I don't know the max distances, etc. Maybe I'm having a problem, maybe it just can't be done.

Goal: feed one ViP211 to two TVs, both with 5.1 stereo audio. Assumption is only one will be watched at a time. ViP211 is infrared only, so another issue to solved later is to control remotely. Also, I don't know what operational limitations splitting toslink involve, I think only one can be active at once? I don't want to buy an Inday distribution amp, for that much $$ I think there are better solutions. Neither of the Sony receivers referenced support HDMI. Here's the scenario:

1. ViP211 upstairs, 3' toslink to Sony STR-DE501, the component video output to LCD TV. The ViP211 HDMI output goes 6' cable to wall jack (Monprice #5985), 10' CL2 HDMI in the wall, to downstairs wall jack (another Monoprice #5985),

2. Downstairs: A 6' HDMI to a Panasonic TH-50PX60U. Video signal is fine. From the TV optical out I run 6' toslink to the optical input of a Sony STR-DE475. I get PCM audio, but no 5.1 (there are 4 billion people on the planet who would be just fine with this:sob:).

Well alrighty then. I'll just run Toslink downstairs. I try a Toslink splitter (Monoprice #966), running 3' toslink from 211 to splitter, 3' toslink to Sony 501, 6' toslink to wall jack, 10' toslink in wall, 6' toslink from downstairs wall jack to Sony 475. That's one splitter, two couplers, and around 24' of toslink cable. It doesn't work, I see the red light out of the bitter end of the toslink chain, but no audio (the Sony 475 toslink input was tested good).

Before I buy a new HDMI passthrough receiver Onkyo TX-SR308 ($200, Amazon.com) which I assume will give me 5.1 audio downstairs, I'd like to try the toslink option. Before I start buying and pulling replacement toslink cables I'd like to know if the length is too far no matter what type of cables I buy, or if I'm making any other obvious mistakes.

I also have the option of switching a 622 for the 211, if one might have a higher/better toslink output than the other (that would solve my remote control issue as well). Any and all input is appreciated, especially anecdotal info on how/how far you are sending toslink in your installations.

Last edited:
I never tried a splitter so I can't help you there. But I did run a 25' toslink cable from my 722 to my best stereo, and that works well. As for getting only PCM rather than 5.1, I believe there is a receiver setting to fix that. I doubt that a 622 will have a stronger IR transmitter than your 211, but I don't know about that. The output of my 722 is surprisingly bright.

First problem is you can't run optical out of the TV to the receiver and get 5.1. There have been many threads on this same question. 5.1 optical out from the tv only works for the internal tuner. Everything else will be downmixed and down sampled to 2 channel PCM. You need to go directly from the set top box to the receiver for 5.1 audio.

In your setup you really need a receiver with HDMI downstairs. Run component and toslink upstairs like you have it now. Run the HDMI as you have it into a capable receiver downstairs and run an HDMI cable out of the receiver to the TV.

S~

TOSLink without an extender is good for about 5-6 meters (unless you can find one made with real optical fiber and your receiver has a LASER instead of a simple LED). Inserting wall plates, splitters and couplers is suicidal.

teachsac makes an excellent observation with respect to the output of the TV. The secret is to go HDMI from the receiver to the AVR and then on to the TV. If you don't have an AVR that will grab audio from a pass-through to the TV, get a new AVR.

Thanks for the replies, much appreciated. I think the consensus is I'm trying to run toslink too far (esp. with splitters & couplers), and in the interest of maintaining my sanity, I've ordered a new HDMI receiver for downstairs. It's supposed to 3D compatible, so it's probably the most effective way to spend my money on this problem. Since the TV is on the wall, I'll only need to run a power cord and one HDMI up to it, and let the 5.1 receiver do all the video switching. In my heart of hearts I wanted a new one anyway!

Thanks for the replies, much appreciated. I think the consensus is I'm trying to run toslink too far (esp. with splitters & couplers), and in the interest of maintaining my sanity, I've ordered a new HDMI receiver for downstairs. It's supposed to 3D compatible, so it's probably the most effective way to spend my money on this problem. Since the TV is on the wall, I'll only need to run a power cord and one HDMI up to it, and let the 5.1 receiver do all the video switching. In my heart of hearts I wanted a new one anyway!

Good luck. That's the most effective way.

S~

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts