Touch: Season 2

Just finished watching - good episode. Was that Mary Stuart Masterson playing the character Beth Young-Cooper, Martin's friend from the newspaper? It sure looked like her. I checked the credits, but they're not updated yet at IMDb.com.

The one main issue I have with this show is the far-reaching connection that our actions have on somebody living on the other side of the planet. I'm sorry, but that's a bit-of-a-stretch and I would like to see this aspect removed from season 2.

That's the whole premise of the show, that everything we do has an effect somewhere else. Very longstanding belief, especially in Asian countries.

S~

Just finished watching - good episode. Was that Mary Stuart Masterson playing the character Beth Young-Cooper, Martin's friend from the newspaper? It sure looked like her. I checked the credits, but they're not updated yet at IMDb.com.

It was.

S~

That's the whole premise of the show, that everything we do has an effect somewhere else. Very longstanding belief, especially in Asian countries.

S~

[LUNCH]

I lived in the Far East for 10-years and my wife is from an Asian culture (mother is Buddhist) so I understand what the show is trying to do - they're just not doing it very well. In an hour-long show there is only something like 42-minutes for the viewers to develop a personal connection to the characters. Personally, I like the show and feel the producers do a pretty good of getting me to care about the main characters, the characters whose lives they directly affect, and even how they "touch" other members of their extended familes and communities. However, there is not enough time for me (and probably for most) to develop a personal interest in the lives of people on the other side of the planet.

While I understand what the writers and producers and trying to do, I find myself indifferent toward these overseas characters (Japan, Frane, Afghanistan, etc.). Why? Because I don't know them, I don't identify with them, and the 4-5 minutes we're allowed to peek into their lives isn't long enough to give me a warm a fuzzy feeling. Indifference breeds disinterest which breeds finding something more interesting on one of the other channels.

Again, I like this show...but it needs "tweeking" and the proof is in the ratings which continue to slide. Last year the folks at Revenge (another new show last year) managed to do all the right things: some viewers like/love some of the characters; some viewers dislike/hoate some of the characters; most viewers are interested in what happens to them. Notsomuch with Touch.

Three ways to improve this show:

1. The kid needs to communicate in some form or fashion beyond the numbers thing; he needs to show human emotion like touching someone's hand, kissing Martin on the cheek, nodding yes or no in understanding...something....anything! People identify with human emotion either good or bad.

2. Martin needs to stop chasing his son around the house, neighborhood, county and state like he was 2-year old. Anyone who has ever chased after a toddler is apt to change the channel after hearing...."Jake!...Come here Jake!...Jake!...Don't touch that Jake!....Jake!...JAKE!...JAAAAAKEEEEE!!!"

3. Marin and Jake need to pack their bags and fly overseas if they wish to develop a personal relationship with their overseas counterparts, or drop 80% of these references. We get it! Our lives intersect and our actions have far-reaching effects on the lives of others. People who are cable of empathy understand this fact. People who cannot empathize will never understand it. There is just not enough time in a 42-minute show for most people to identify with others who speak in subtitles. Plus, let's be honest...some of these "connections" really are rather far-reaching. Heck, they should do a show about how the UPS guy impacted my life, the lives of my loved ones, and the countless others who were affected by my going balistic when my package didn't arrive on time! :eek:

Anyway, only 2.9 million people tuned-in to Friday's episode. This show may be the best-written, best-acted and most meaningful serial ever produced for television. But they are history if they don't do a better job of connecting with viewers.

Friday hour by hour: (8 p.m.)
ABC: "Shark Tank" season premiere (6.3 million viewers, 3.9/7 households)
CBS: "Undercover Boss" rerun (4.2 million, 2.8/5)
NBC: "Guys With Kids" rerun (3.3 million, 2.2/4)/"Go On" rerun (3.1 million, 2.1/4)
FOX: "Touch" (2.9 million, 1.9/4)
The CW: "America's Next Top Model" (1.5 million, 1.0/2)

TouchRatings.JPG

[/LUNCH]

Caught the first episode. Felt like a disconnect with the last episode of the first season. The episode was fine, but I recalled it ending in May in a way where there would be a natural follow up with the other woman...

[LUNCH]

2. Martin needs to stop chasing his son around the house, neighborhood, county and state like he was 2-year old. Anyone who has ever chased after a toddler is apt to change the channel after hearing...."Jake!...Come here Jake!...Jake!...Don't touch that Jake!....Jake!...JAKE!...JAAAAAKEEEEE!!!"

View attachment 81049

[/LUNCH]

Reason number one I decided to drop it and not watch. This was overkill and I don't know why the producers did not catch this failure of the show.

Season 2 Premiere (2 Hours)

Friday, February 8, 2013

Event Horizon and Closer": While Martin tries to keep Jake safe from those who want to exploit his abilities, Jake is determined to find Amelia; Guillermo, a religious zealot, tries to attain his vision.

S~

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts