Townhouse Install Following By-Laws

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

RawisTheGameHhH

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Mar 29, 2006
Southside of Chicago, IL
I am allowed to put a dish on my chimney but it cannot exceed more than 18 inches in diameter. I called D* and they said the 3LNB Slimline meets my requirements and still gives me HD. Is this true? I can't seem to find anything about the 3LNB Slimline being 18 inches in diameter. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

The slimline is larger than 18", but if they allow any dishes at all then they have to allow the larger slimline under FCC regulations.

The slimline is obviously MUCH larger than 18" and there's really no way to hide the fact.

You may be able to fool them with a Phase III dish (20" wide x 18" high) that won't get you HD, but the Slimlines weigh in at 32.5" wide by 22.5" high.

@JosephB - They may not allow it to be mounted to the chimney; I have seen many of them installed on poles outside of the residence.

@richiephx's - I have no idea.

@harshness - Thanks; but HD is a must.

The installation instruction sheet shows a Slimline mounted on a chimney, but I don't think Directv actually allows that. If there is an alternative (roof or pole), the chimney should be avoided.

@JosephB - They may not allow it to be mounted to the chimney; I have seen many of them installed on poles outside of the residence.

@richiephx's - I have no idea.

@harshness - Thanks; but HD is a must.

My point is that if they (the HOA) give you a place that you are allowed to mount a dish, then they cannot limit it to simply 18" dishes. They have to allow all dishes covered under the FCC's OTARD rules.

The 18" limit came out years ago with the very first dishes. Many HOA's have never gone back and updated the information. Truth is they can't enforce the 18" restriction and many have given up the size specification and instead press you to put it out of sight if at all possible.

If YOU own the townhouse, then, the HOA cannot in most cases limit WHERE you can mount your dish. There are exceptions, provided in the FCC ruling, but, those are few.

The only restrictions that can reasonably be placed on customers regarding dish placement if from those who rent.

However, the chimney is a very poor place to mount a dish over 18" especially an HD dish. The wind loading is way more than you would think. A chimney is not built to withstand the substantial wind loading that would be placed on it by an HD dish. DirecTv understands the mechanics of this, and likely has placed this restriction on mounting in order to avoid being sued for property damage.

All that being said, the HOA, in most cases cannot limit where you mount a dish up to 39" in diameter.

If I were you, I would let the installer determine the best location for LOS and go from there. I think there are avenues of persuit for consumers who are being oppressed by HOA's with regard to dishes or other antennas.

Like has already been said, they cannot limit you to the chimney for mounting, and for that big a dish, you would not want to use the chimney anyway.

Status
Please reply by conversation.