tp0 file conversions

Status
Please reply by conversation.

techno935

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 27, 2006
Pompano Beach, FL
My mission is to gather some videos from my PC to put em on my 8100 HD (Now that the PVR is working beautifully)

I know most people wanna lift files from the STB for viewing on the PC. I wanna do the opposite. Get downloaded videos converted to the *.tp0 format for viewing on the 8100. Has anyone done this, tried to do it, or knows how to do it? I'll be messin with a few things later today. Thanks in advance.

I've read somewhere on here that copying files from your stb drive to computer is ok. But any change of the files on the drive by the computer will screw things up. Don't know if that is all stbs or just some. I'm interested to see how you make out.

The extension is only part of the issue. The file header must contain proper information. You need to study the header produced by the STB and determine the information necessary for the receiver to recognize the file.

Example: We have worked with VideoReDo to provide file write back feature to the GEOSATpro DVR1100c. VideoReDo writes the correct header information on the file and the DVR1100c recognizes the file as a valid format.

Sounds like SatAV and VideoReDo guys have been busy. - :up

In an earlier incarnation, we found that VRD could read, edit, and rewrite .TP files for the Visionsat IV-200, if you were vigilant.
They didn't have the proper header (I assume VRD lopped it off as being non-video), but the STB still played the file.
The edited transport stream didn't have the proper info about the show, as would normally be provided, but it worked.

I suggest you get to the VideoReDo forum and ask questions, and be prepared to upload a 5 minute sample of some standard definition show.
Those guys are always looking for ways to enlarge their market.

In trying to debug the situation, first take a show off the STB, edit it, save as .TS, (rename as required) and write it back.
If that works, and your transport stream converter doesn't, then you've isolated the problem.

edit:
so I take it you're not getting rid of the 8100?
...or send it to me and I'll work on it in my spare time. :)

The 8100 has since redeemed itself as a working PVR for my OTA programs. The fast-forward isn't as fast as I'd like but oh well...what are you gonna do now since analog shut off is on the way and I need something to record digital.

I solved the file conversion mystery.

The CS 8100 HD reads *.tp0 files as you all know which is a variant of a transport stream. Whatever video you want stored on your 8100 should first be converted to a transport stream (.ts) file. Then....

....you convert from a .ts to a *.tpo with a program called:

TS2tp0_v 0.6 alpha

Google it and you'll find it. It has solved my problems. :) I wonder if I can also trick the 8100's USB host port and connect it to my network??? That would be sweet!! :)

The 8100 has since redeemed itself as a working PVR for my OTA programs. The fast-forward isn't as fast as I'd like but oh well...what are you gonna do now since analog shut off is on the way and I need something to record digital.

I solved the file conversion mystery.

The CS 8100 HD reads *.tp0 files as you all know which is a variant of a transport stream. Whatever video you want stored on your 8100 should first be converted to a transport stream (.ts) file. Then....

....you convert from a .ts to a *.tpo with a program called:

TS2tp0_v 0.6 alpha

Google it and you'll find it. It has solved my problems. :) I wonder if I can also trick the 8100's USB host port and connect it to my network??? That would be sweet!! :)

I Googled it, and Google didn't find it. :(

congrats on the fix -

Would a movie "Caveman.mpg" be converted to:
- Caveman.tp0 as a single file or...

- Caveman.tp0
- Caveman.tp1
- Caveman.tp2, etc ?

Where each file has a limited size (say 1gb, perhaps?)

Well, regardless, I do recommend VideoReDo for editing out the commercials of broadcast TV.
And trimming off the front an rear of the shows, too.
Makes 'em smaller, and nicer to play.

A little OT, but you mentioned slow Fast Forward....
... it was that very complaint several years ago, that causes a buddy and myself to put Chapter marks in our home-made DVDs.
My DVD player would do 32x on playback, but his did only 8x, and he hated it. :)
VRD can make DVDs, if you like, but as I got into it years before they added the feature, I rely on DVD Labs Pro to author 'em.
I know your point is to turn your Coolsat 8100 into a media player, not make DVDs, but just mentioning the alternatives.
Hard drives fill up, but blank DVDs only cost a dime. :cool: (well, under a quarter, regardless)

USB CD ROM in place of Hard Drive

....this being for the CS 8100 HD.

Since the unit reads USB, theoretically, couldn't you hook up just about any "readable" device....like a USB CD/DVD ROM drive and let it pull files that way?

Or are we back at the FAT32 limitation? In other words...if I wanted to, I could burn video files to CD data ROM (as TP0s) and then load em in the tray? The CS could read it if it we're burned onto disc as FAT32 right? wrong?

....this being for the CS 8100 HD.

Since the unit reads USB, theoretically, couldn't you hook up just about any "readable" device....like a USB CD/DVD ROM drive and let it pull files that way?

Or are we back at the FAT32 limitation? In other words...if I wanted to, I could burn video files to CD data ROM (as TP0s) and then load em in the tray? The CS could read it if it we're burned onto disc as FAT32 right? wrong?
Thanks, I lost my long-winded post after somebody merged the threads.

@Techno:
Short answer: No, doesn't work that way.

Longer answer:
USB-CDROM/USB-DVDROM use a different USB-ID than a USB-HDD.
The different ID signifies a different (usually generic) driver is to be used.
Both the older magnetic drives and the newer flash-based thumbdrives uses the same USB-HDD ID and driver.

At the same time CD's and DVD's are formatted in 2 different file systems.
Both discs can use Compact Disc File System or Universal Disc Format.
Neither use FAT or FAT32.

So there is 2 strikes but you're not out.
I'm assuming that all 3 requirements are not in the firmware.
Which they probably aren't, for various reasons.

By all means try it. But don't get all disappointed that it doesn't work.
If it does work, SAY SOMETHING! That would be a nice feature! :cool:

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts