Transfer Hopper 3 sling recordings

HDMI is a two way setup. When you connect something via HDMI, both devices talk to each other. That's how your hopper knows what resolution your TV supports, and probably can even tell you the brand of the TV on the info screen.
Yup. My new 4K FireTV Sticks with the remote that controls the TV uses that fact and auto-configure the TV controls. Vary handy.

Reactions: charlesrshell
PCs and Laptops just don't come with HDMI inputs. If you didn't buy something specifically to do this, then you don't have it.
If you connect a recorder via HDMI to the hopper, yes it will more or less know what it is, and it will not output any video that has DRM restrictions against being copied. As was mention before, the way around this is to connect the HDMI from the hopper to the TV, and then record from the component outputs of the hopper. Component outputs are analog, but they can handle HD. They have no data channel back to the hopper (or from it for that matter), so the hopper would not know anything is attached. I do think that some channels may require the hopper to turn off the analog outputs. I don't know it this is ever done, but I do think it is supported. Anyway, to try this you need some video capture device with component video inputs, or at least with a composite input (SD only, though).

Edit: To your exact question. HDMI is a two way setup. When you connect something via HDMI, both devices talk to each other. That's how your hopper knows what resolution your TV supports, and probably can even tell you the brand of the TV on the info screen.
Ok, makes sense. of the two items from Amazon that are shown which would you recommend? Of course one is 3 times the price but would it make any difference?

Ok, makes sense. of the two items from Amazon that are shown which would you recommend? Of course one is 3 times the price but would it make any difference?
Those just came up after a quick search.
The cheaper one will only do SD video. The more expensive one will possibly not work for you due to DRM (it is HDMI).
This one will record component video to USB drives. Note that you will need a component video cable, and an audio cable.
Amazon product ASIN B074FW63JJView: https://www.amazon.com/DIGITNOW-Capture-Converter-Recorder-Support/dp/B074FW63JJ/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?keywords=component+video+capture&qid=1638825373&sr=8-2-spons&psc=1&smid=A1P1OHB2JFMIPI&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExU0U5TlVTVTEwNllLJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNjg4MjcxMkxWT0tJWUg1OVlDQyZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwNzIzOTc2M0JZVkI5V0U3M1UzQyZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

I assume that this is academic, given you time and budget constraints.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Will this be a hands off endeavor? How can I judge how much is on each DVD? When to stop the process and add another blank DVD? No way to gage the amount left on a DVD after a period of time? The hopper is already connected via HDMI I purchased the gold ends for better picture quality.

Those just came up after a quick search.
The cheaper one will only do SD video. The more expensive one will possibly not work for you due to DRM (it is HDMI).
This one will record component video to USB drives. Note that you will need a component video cable, and an audio cable.
Amazon product ASIN B074FW63JJView: https://www.amazon.com/DIGITNOW-Capture-Converter-Recorder-Support/dp/B074FW63JJ/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?keywords=component+video+capture&qid=1638825373&sr=8-2-spons&psc=1&smid=A1P1OHB2JFMIPI&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExU0U5TlVTVTEwNllLJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNjg4MjcxMkxWT0tJWUg1OVlDQyZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwNzIzOTc2M0JZVkI5V0U3M1UzQyZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

I assume that this is academic, given you time and budget constraints.
Well…. I have several RCA cords will that suffice?

Will this be a hands off endeavor?
Not exactly.
How can I judge how much is on each DVD? When to stop the process and add another blank DVD? No way to gage the amount left on a DVD after a period of time?
All software I have used to burn DVDs tell you in advance whether it can fit the programs on one DVD. They have work to do to make it readable by DVD players, an index to create, etc. etc.

But I almost never watch DVDs any longer and don't burn them. Instead, if I have a digital copy of a program I want to keep, I shove it up to my NAS and watch it whenever I want with a streamer.
Well…. I have several RCA cords will that suffice?
Yes, if they were made for video. You might have some audio cables that are so lossy, or have crappy impedance and cause reflections of the video signal, that they might not work.

I am not a believer in the benefits of gold cords.

… a Ex Direct TV employee
This says it all. There is no way any Hopper can detect there is a recording being made. What it CAN detect is that an HDMI handshake failed and it assumes an insecure connection and stops play. Actually, doesn’t even start play.

Reactions: TheKrell
This says it all. There is no way any Hopper can detect there is a recording being made. What it CAN detect is that an HDMI handshake failed and it assumes an insecure connection and stops play. Actually, doesn’t even start play.
Now that makes sense.

Reactions: navychop
Hello all, First please forgive me if this is in the wrong section. I have been searching the web for hours to see if this can be done. My 67 year old brain just can’t grasp this stuff. We have a Hopper 3 sling with 3 wireless Joeys.
We are having to do away with the service and wondered if I can dump/transfer the recordings that are on it cheaply and easily. (We can no longer afford the service) if this is possible can someone tell me what I need and how to do it? The thing is almost full, I can delete some junk in there but most are for our Grandchildren to watch.
Can this be done (cheaply) Payment is bank draft and soon approaching with no funds to pay the bill. So the sooner the better. If the withdrawal is made we will be charged $50 plus pay our bank back the amount that was deducted. If I had that money I would keep the service. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I have read there are ways to copy the programming from your Dish HDD to something usable, but it is too technical for me. I use a Toshiba DVD recorder to copy from the HDD. It is only in SD, but at least I have a copy.

Come on. They have a clear benefit, for those that are selling them. They are more profitable.
Lol…I never knew that RCA patches were audio/video specific. No telling in the past 45+ years how many I hooked up wrong. I should know color coded I was a licensed electrician for 50 years. Poor old dell may not survive the trip. The power connection broke off the MB. No fix, new motherboard,. Well those wires are soldered down where the Jack broke off the board. I did lose all the screws and the touch screen stopped working but it will work.

Well, I suppose I best get to butt kissing to get a $90 Device. I like the idea of unhooking the dish before it’s killed that will buy me a little time. We are going streaming since we got taxpayers fiber installed a few months back. A friend of mine is an ISP, Fiber installer, has over air fiber, TV service uhf/vhf radaios etc. he has loaded a stick down with way more TV than the best dish package, for $20 a month. Being I am not tech savvy you may say that old fool is getting ripped. But beats $200 for dish.

I have read there are ways to copy the programming from your Dish HDD to something usable, but it is too technical for me. I use a Toshiba DVD recorder to copy from the HDD. It is only in SD, but at least I have a copy.
Yeah for sure. If I have to that’s what I will do. I do have some rock and roll specials on there too. I would hate to lose those.

You could record the programs off the Hopper to the VCR. You will want a RCA combiner with two female inputs for the R and W (L and R stereo) going to a single male to plug into the audio in on the VCR. Use the yellow composite output on the Hopper to the yellow video input on the VCR for picture.

Another solution is a Hauppauge PVR 1212. It connects USB to a PC and can take component video (RGB cable) and stereo (RCA R/W) or optical audio input (DD 5.1). There should be a DVD with software with the unit.

Reactions: TheKrell
Jeez, streaming, downloading from a cloud-based source or buying DVDs isn't an option?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts