transfer

I believe you would need to use an external hard drive (EHD). Pay Dish for the 'privilege' of using one and then you can copy shows from one 622 to the other.

it is a 1 time fee to activate the EHD. it is 35.99 or 39.99 it has been alongtime since I paid to activte it, and it is well worth it.

it is a 1 time fee to activate the EHD. it is 35.99 or 39.99 it has been alongtime since I paid to activte it, and it is well worth it.

$39.99--I just did it a few days ago. Got a 1TB Western Digital Mybook from Wally World for $89.99. Really like being able to transfer & store video from & between my 622 & 722.:) Didn't like the $39.99 charge either though........:rolleyes:

Ed

I don't like the charge either, but considering it is a one-time charge and is good for all compatible boxes on your account, forever, I didn't find it too distasteful. There are worse deals out there.

I look at it like this. You can have as many external hard drives as you can afford added to your dvr. You can build a digital library of all the shows you want to keep , movies ,tv series etc. You can't do that with DIRECTV ; You can add a external hard drive with them but it takes the place of your internal receiver hard drive. So you can't archive and save shows long term. So $39.99 is a bargain for people who want to expand you recording archives. I use my external hard drive for movies and tv shows I want to watch later at my leisure. I also have a lot of pay per view movies on my external hard drive that I bought months ago that haven't been deleted.

Thanks, for all the info maybe I'll bite the bullet and pay the fee.
One more question, is the USB port on the back of the unit the same as the one on the front of the unit?

I need to swap a 722 for a new one from dish. I plan to move all my shows on to an external HD, then activate the new receiver and deactivate the old one. One I put everything back on the new receiver from the EHD, will everything be in the right folders and look just like I had never moved anything in the first place? Is any information lost in the transfer?

thanks,

Mitch

As long as you don't stop or cancel your account or stop having a vip dvr of some kind on your account , the external hard drive will continue to work with the new dvr ,just like it did the old one.

As long as you don't stop or cancel your account or stop having a vip dvr of some kind on your account , the external hard drive will continue to work with the new dvr ,just like it did the old one.

Sorry, I was not clear. Once I attach the external hard drive to the replacement machine, I want to transfer all the shows back onto the DVR. In the "my recordings" menu, will they look as they were on the first DVR?

Mitch

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)