Transferring recordings and timers from 722k to Hopper

GaryPen

Rich or poor, it's good to have money.
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sorry if this has been answered in one of the gazillion prior Hopper threads. But, I didn't see a topic like this.

If I upgrade to the H/J, will I be able to offload my recordings from my current 722k onto an EHD, and then transfer them from the EHD onto the Hopper?

Also, is there a way to do the something similar with timers? Isn't there a way to copy to the 722k remote? Could I then copy from that remote to the Hopper?

Just out of curiousity, how big of a EHD would one need to transfer DVR contents from a 722 that has about 15-18 hours of recording space free? Is there a blanket 1 hour of HD = x amount of EHD space calculation somewhere?

Dudleydog73 said:
Just out of curiousity, how big of a EHD would one need to transfer DVR contents from a 722 that has about 15-18 hours of recording space free? Is there a blanket 1 hour of HD = x amount of EHD space calculation somewhere?

I recommend you consider at least 2GB/hr and then round up.

Considering prices, surely no smaller than 500 GB and why not spring a bit more and get a 1 TB?

OUCH! I thought I'd read here where the ViP922 & ViP722K remotes could transfer timers to the Hopper.

Since they can't, you have two options, sorta. First, go to dishonline and see if you can access and print your timers. I've never gotten it to work well enough to do so.

Second, take digital photos of each page of timers. Print. Then go back and highlight each timer in turn. The channel # for that timer will appear at the top. Write it down next to the timer on your printout. Go thru each item on the list, and cull as appropriate. Should save some time and you don't lose timers.

My EHD from my 722k with about 50 programs on it shows zero episodes when I connect it to my hopper. Any advice on getting hopper to see the content?

I recommend you consider at least 2GB/hr and then round up.

Considering prices, surely no smaller than 500 GB and why not spring a bit more and get a 1 TB?

The reason I asked was because I have some old EHDs from my traveling days with work (60-100Gigs) and was curious if any of those would work without having to go out and spring for a new hard drive. Thanks for the info.

The reason I asked was because I have some old EHDs from my traveling days with work (60-100Gigs) and was curious if any of those would work without having to go out and spring for a new hard drive. Thanks for the info.

As long as they are self powered, they should be OK....

My EHD from my 722k with about 50 programs on it shows zero episodes when I connect it to my hopper. Any advice on getting hopper to see the content?
Problem solved. Contacted DIRT, and within a few minutes of their response my EHD was working fine. They updated my home key (whatever that means), and that did the trick. If I had lost those recordings, I would have been it big trouble with the wife and kids. So, a big thank you to DIRT (you know who you are).

I swore I wouldn't get a hopper/joey because of price and lack of OTA. But in the end I couldn't resist such a cool new toy, so here I am. I still didn't get any joeys because I couldn't justify the cost for the small amount of time we watch TV2. But I'm loving the hopper so far. I also like the new 40.0 remote. I don't know if hopper has a better antenna, but the range on this remote is much better than my old one.

Holy Cow! I just started breathing again getting to the end of this thread. Wife & kids would've disowned me not being able to transfer the current DVR content.
Nice to know the EHD is working right out of the box though.

According to everything that's been said, that will not work. The Hopper will ask you if it's OK to reformat the drive.

I'm sad to say that i've tried hard to transfer timers from 722k to Hopper via the 21 remote to no avail. I got the timers saved to the remote but couldn't get the system wizard to even look at the 21 remote. Enabled IR and set SAT address to #1, menu worked fine, but initiating System Wizard from zero key wouldn't work. Bummer. And for some strange reason I doubt they'll do anything about this.

EHD Recordings must be transferred by the Multimedia menu option on the 722k. Hopper plays well with this. CSR agent said this couldn't be done. Good luck.

edit: EHD on 211's are formatted differently, so I don't believe their recordings work at all on the the Hopper, as said by other posters.