transponder for locals

Status
Please reply by conversation.

sjtigers

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 8, 2004
Is there one specific transponder for Salt Lake City locals or does any of my transponders should work?

Thanks for that!

edit:
doh just checked that puts me at 60% signal strength from a high of 86%.

I just saw your other post. You're quite a ways north to be picking up a good signal from that transponder. That's a spot beam and the farther away you get from Salt Lake City, the lower that reading will be. What do you get from some of your other transponders?

Right now I am sitting on Transponder 8 which gets about 86%

I know a few people here who are hooked up through the SLC locals who seem to have decent reception so the spot beam probably goes fairly high (it is in the West group of broadcasts according to the transponder chart posted earlier).

Basically I would like to get SLC because of family and such the news down there is of interest and the distants are way more expensive ($2.25 per channel) than the locals.

Secondly there is no chance that middle of no where montana is ever going to get locals (as I cannot receive any OTA). So if I can make it work I would rather have SLC locals.

Of course also making life interesting is that I have my account through a third party (montana is NRTC through 3 rivers telecom) not D* so it is not as easy to just pick up and "move" as such.

ok looking at things more clearly.

on 8, 14 and 29, 32 I can get over 80% and in most cases I am pushing 84% to 86%

I do get most of the first ten (not 4) and kind of hit or miss for the rest but 26 is my lowest by far.

I think SLC does have a pretty big spot beam. I believe just about all of the state of Utah is considered in the SLC DMA.

Status
Please reply by conversation.