transponder issues

Status
Please reply by conversation.

dukeuvearl

Original poster
Aug 6, 2012
seminole fl.
I have an older directv receiver and dvr. A few days ago I stopped receiving several channels on the dvr. I went through every recommended step, reset, unplug, etc. to no avail. When I check the signal meters I can see that I have three of the possible thirty-two transponders with a 0 reading on satellite 101. It is my local channels, apparently, that are on those transponders. However, when I hook up the regular reciever to the same cable inputs, I receive the channels I cannot get on the dvr. So, I purchased a new dvr from directv and have the same problem. Nothing on the dvr, but the old receiver gets every channel fine.
Any idea?
Thanks.

I have an older directv receiver and dvr. A few days ago I stopped receiving several channels on the dvr. I went through every recommended step, reset, unplug, etc. to no avail. When I check the signal meters I can see that I have three of the possible thirty-two transponders with a 0 reading on satellite 101. It is my local channels, apparently, that are on those transponders. However, when I hook up the regular reciever to the same cable inputs, I receive the channels I cannot get on the dvr. So, I purchased a new dvr from directv and have the same problem. Nothing on the dvr, but the old receiver gets every channel fine.
Any idea?
Thanks.

:welcome to Satelliteguys!

Your local sd channels are on 101 transponder 20. What do you show for signal strength on all of the transponders? What channels are you missing?

If the OP is getting the channels on the receiver and not the DVR, it is likely a multiswitch (LNB-based) issue. It is less likely that it is a cabling issue.

We know it isn't a dish pointing issue if the receiver is working fine.

If the OP is getting the channels on the receiver and not the DVR, it is likely a multiswitch (LNB-based) issue. It is less likely that it is a cabling issue.

We know it isn't a dish pointing issue if the receiver is working fine.

Until we know what channels he is missing, we don't know it isn't an alignment issue. It almost definitely isn't, but we don't know that yet. Apparently you aren't aware, but when troubleshooting, you always start with the easiest thing to eliminate first. That's why I asked for signal strength numbers and missing channels.

I'm betting on it being an older TiVo DVR. These are popping up everywhere. They're just dropping the locals. Directv says a simple plugging in of the phone line and waiting 72 hours will fix the issue. I've yet to see one stay without being swapped out

Could be a case of " treeitis"! Then my personal fav...dead or dying LNB.

Switching wires around on the multiswitch and shaking limbs will tell that part. If the SD receiver has the correct transponders the TIVO idea looks pretty good.

Joe

transponder issue

Until we know what channels he is missing, we don't know it isn't an alignment issue. It almost definitely isn't, but we don't know that yet. Apparently you aren't aware, but when troubleshooting, you always start with the easiest thing to eliminate first. That's why I asked for signal strength numbers and missing channels.

OK, here goes: On Sat. 101...transponder 4 shows 0...trans. 18 shows 0...trans. 26 shows 0.
transponders12 is at 50, and 27 & 29 are at 76. All the others are mid 80 to mid 90s

On Sat. 110...transponder 12 shows 49 and trans. 8 & 10 show 93 and 88.

On Sat. 119...transponder 26 shows 0 and the other nine are in the mid 70 to mid 90 range.

Thanks for your help. By the way, are you guys beer brewers by any chance? With all the pub references.

It does sound like your dish is out of alignment. It's possible that your dvr is more sensitive to low signal levels and therefore won't give you a picture when the receiver will. If you aren't comfortable realigning the dish, you should call Directv and set up a service call.

I agree! This dish is way out of alignment! I'd get that baby peaked in and then go from there

I'm not sure if you're being facetious or not? But the dish is not WAY out of alignment. Honestly, it seems rock solid and I can't seem to find any bad alignment. What is it about the info that I provided makes you say that?

I am beginning to think that it is an equipment problem as you stated earlier. Is lnb failure somewhat common?
Thanks

It's possible the lnb is going, but the numbers you posted point more toward a bad alignment. Have you tried to realign it?

lately i have notice a few of you posting personal comments about each other when helping one of our fellow members in need. this needs to STOP. it is completely unnecessary. if you can not help without adding sarcasm to your post towards someone else then please do not post. right or wrong, at the end members with good intentions are trying to help others. nothing wrong with correcting someone but please do it respectfully.

i ask that this post not be quoted or discussed as it will be deleted. lets move on and continue to help those that need our assistance. thank you......

I'm not sure if you're being facetious or not? But the dish is not WAY out of alignment. Honestly, it seems rock solid and I can't seem to find any bad alignment. What is it about the info that I provided makes you say that?

Having numbers in the 70s is often a sign of a dish out of alignment. A bad lnb could have all odd or even transponders at zero or wildly fluctuating numbers.

It's possible the lnb is going, but the numbers you posted point more toward a bad alignment. Have you tried to realign it?
Well, the elevaion seems to read correctly. The azimuth reading I am not sure about as I have no compass/tool to help with alignment. But everything seems so extremely tight and there has been no good reason for anything to move. Is there a simple way to check that without a compass? How much movement would cause the readings I am getting for the transponders?
Thanks

It doesn't take much for a dish to go out of alignment. Remember that you are aiming at a satellite the size of a bus that's 22500 miles away! Try pushing gently on the back of the dish first at the top, then bottom, and each side. See what it does to the signal strength numbers. If they improve significantly in one direction, you will know which way it needs to go. Good luck and make sure to get back to us! I'm going out and won't be available for a few hours, but there will probably be someone else that can help.

Well, the elevaion seems to read correctly. The azimuth reading I am not sure about as I have no compass/tool to help with alignment. But everything seems so extremely tight and there has been no good reason for anything to move. Is there a simple way to check that without a compass? How much movement would cause the readings I am getting for the transponders?
Thanks

Duke,

While Chip is out try this......with a pencil mark a line on your mast and the dish so you can see where the dish is now set. With a 7/16 wrench (18" dish right?)............loosen the back bolts on the dish just enough to allow it to rotate ...check your signal. Move the dish the thickness of your pencil line and check your signal again....work slowly & repeat until you have the best signal you can get. Lock down the back bolts. DO THE SAME THING WITH THE ELEVATION. While you are working...do verify the mast is plumb. If it is not the elevation settings will be off. You can tune a non plumb mast but it is just harder. IF after all this your now peaked dish is on the same marks you made...you start checking fittings and cable between the dish and the ground block. If you have a known-to-be-good LNB...change it at this point and check your signals.

The compass is just a guide as are the marks on the side of the dish...work for the best signal.

Report what you find. Those low transponders are not normal...Is there any way someone could have bumped the arm the LNB is attached to? A bend dish will work but not well and those arms are a weak spot. Look for bends. If there are service loops on your exterior wire...look inside the loops for cuts.

A thing to check....= you report low signals on transponders abord the 110 & 119 sats. Are you sure they are in service (required) in your market?

Keep at it,

Joe

Last edited:
Duke,

While Chip is out try this......with a pencil mark a line on your mast and the dish so you can see where the dish is now set. With a 7/16 wrench (18" dish right?)............loosen the back bolts on the dish just enough to allow it to rotate ...check your signal. Move the dish the thickness of your pencil line and check your signal again....work slowly & repeat until you have the best signal you can get. Lock down the back bolts. DO THE SAME THING WITH THE ELEVATION. While you are working...do verify the mast is plumb. If it is not the elevation settings will be off. You can tune a non plumb mast but it is just harder. IF after all this your now peaked dish is on the same marks you made...you start checking fittings and cable between the dish and the ground block. If you have a known-to-be-good LNB...change it at this point and check your signals.

The compass is just a guide as are the marks on the side of the dish...work for the best signal.

Report what you find. Those low transponders are not normal...Is there any way someone could have bumped the arm the LNB is attached to? A bend dish will work but not well and those arms are a weak spot. Look for bends. If there are service loops on your exterior wire...look inside the loops for cuts.

A thing to check....= you report low signals on transponders abord the 110 & 119 sats. Are you sure they are in service (required) in your market?

Keep at it,

Joe

Joe, I have been moving the various parts, going from no signal back to where I started. This whole thing started when I began getting a "searching for signal on Sat. 2" message from my old DVR. When I hook up the old receiver I get no error messages. I bought a new DVR from Directv and have the same problem when I hook it up: "searching for signal on Sat. 2". So, I have come to the transponder issue. I am not sure the low sig. transponders are in service or not.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)