transponder question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

valveman

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 21, 2006
charlotte, nc
Hello all! I apologize if this has been asked before but I couldn't quite find the answer I was looking for.

I just hooked up a 3 lnb and H10 receiver. I am getting 90's on transponders on all 3 satellites. When I run the setup on the receiver it accepts 101 but fails to on 110 and 119.

Is the dish pointed in the right spot to be getting 3 strong signals?

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!!

Ken

You have the PhaseIII dish and only one reciever connected to it? If so, does the one cable come directly from the dish into the receiver? AND which port/output number out of the dish did you use? Do you subscribed to any services that come from 110 and 119? Sorry for all the questions back, but just trying to size up the situation.

Thanks for the questions. In my line of work, "valves", questions are always needed!

I don't know if it's phase three or not. It's the deal they are giving out with the rebate at Best Buy. Where would I look or what would tell me it's phase 3.

I am upgrading an existing dish and receiver. The Satellite dish is a multi-Satellite dish antenna with integrated triple lnb and built in multi-switch.

http://www.directv.com/learn/pdf/12429_00_AntennaManual_1D.pdf

I have two cables coming from the dish. They were the ones that were running to the box and then the house already. I hooked them up on the first connection on the lnb and the fourth. No reason, just did it that way. Could that be my problem?

Once again, thanks for the quick response.

Ken

Yes you have a PhaseIII

I am almost positive that the new dish's outputs are numbered, mine were.

BUT you said the cables "were the ones that were running to the box and then the house" what do you mean by "the box" ? Do you have a multi0switch in the cable run? Similar to this one. cause if you don't have more than 4 receivers, you don't need it. AND if you do do over 4 I am not sure, but I don't think the old one works with the new dish. Could be wrong.

Attachments

• SP34DTV_zoom.gif
    SP34DTV_zoom.gif
    61.6 KB · Views: 154
Last edited:
I'll have to take a look at the switch that's in the box. The box is outside where the lines from the dish go in. I do have tivo in one room which takes two of course. I am only using 3 receivers.

1. tivo
2. basic receiver
3. h10

I will take a look in the box in the morning. I just figured the same hook up would work.

So...with the lnb connectors being numbered, I should probably move the 4th slot to the 2nd and see what happens.

Is it safe to say though, that with all transponders hitting 90's, that I don't have to move the dish.

Thanks again!

Ken

Well I would say if you have a switch between the dish and your receivers, that it is the issue. The PhaseIII dish has a built-in 4 port switch, so the RG6 cables so go directly from the outputs on the dish to the receivers with no stops. Up to 4 tuners as we discussed before.

Cool, if you can take a pic of the switch (if its there) and uplaod it here. some switch are perfectly OK but need to be wired correctly. See ya later.

I did have that switch. I have pulled the cable and run it straight through. I can pick up 101 and 110 but not 119 today. I have to believe that it's an obstruction problem and will relocate the dish and see if that helps.

Thanks for the help! I'll post results.

Ken

I relocated the dish to the roof and I am picking up 101 and 119 now. I haven't been able to get 110 but the weather turned bad yesterday and today. I'll have to tweak the dish when I get time and see if I can get all three. It's crazy that I can't get 110 but 101 and 119 are good.

I have also hooked up an inside ota that is working pretty good today even in this dreary weather.

Thanks again for the help!

I have it set to three. The signals on 101 and 119's transponders range from 91 to 68. I think I need to tweak some more when the weather gets better.

Let me ask this...Does it matter what order the cables are connected into the lnb's? It was mentioned before but I remember hooking up 1,2 and 4, not 3.

That very switch is in there. I still haven't taken it out. I left it in there with the other two receivers. That wouldn't make a difference would it? The cable for the hd is running straight to the receiver. the other two are hooked up to that switch because there are two more rooms that could have tv if i wanted. since the whole house was prewired they are hooked up to the switch.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts