trees and signal well almost

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

djnrg787

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Aug 26, 2005
well i have a 18" dish and i was looking around in the sky trying to get 119 but couldnt so i went the total opposite direction in the 70s somewhere and i got one but all 5 of the channels were scrambled or wanted a smart card and 2 of them were music so i went looing for 119 again and i cant seem to get a lock on it my signal meter says its like a hair away but theres trees in the way does anyone think a bigger dish will get better reception like a 30" or a bigger dish with a high gain lnb im gonna go on the roof tomorow and try to get a better view but is there any suggestions

A bigger dish and better LNBF will not help when the signal is blocked (Trees), all you can do is go higher with the dish and clear the line of sight to the satellite. You will need a 30+" dish for most FTA channels anyway.

I have found when getting a signal thru trees that you can move the dish around and find a sweet spot that may very well be several degrees off of the satellite azimuth.

djnrg787 said:
well i have a 18" dish and i was looking around in the sky trying to get 119 but couldnt so i went the total opposite direction in the 70s somewhere and i got one but all 5 of the channels were scrambled or wanted a smart card and 2 of them were music so i went looing for 119 again and i cant seem to get a lock on it my signal meter says its like a hair away but theres trees in the way does anyone think a bigger dish will get better reception like a 30" or a bigger dish with a high gain lnb im gonna go on the roof tomorow and try to get a better view but is there any suggestions

PUNCTUATION! Like reading a rolling hill

smata67 said:
I have found when getting a signal thru trees that you can move the dish around and find a sweet spot that may very well be several degrees off of the satellite azimuth.

I can get between 10%-25% quality on strong TPs when pointing my dish directly northeast toward my boat shed. It is made of metal and I assume it reflects the signal back to the dish.:D

speaking of tps how do you know which one is a good one to get, and what u should set ur downlink to. for example on 119 they have 32 tps whats a good one to set up for?

questic said:
I can get between 10%-25% quality on strong TPs when pointing my dish directly northeast toward my boat shed. It is made of metal and I assume it reflects the signal back to the dish.:D

I wonder if another shed would bring your quality up to 50%?!?! But then you'd have to change your moniker to "Two Sheds" Questic and put up with all of those irritating talk show hosts...

I got this Gtools files from somewhere, I have no idea where but It lists most of the satellites up there and thier transponders. I hope it's okay that I attached it...if not I guess I'll find out the hard way :yes

For 119 I believe you'll find 11 to be a good one when your aiming. As for the trees, I have a backyard full of them and I do very well for my signal strength. I don't have a metal boatshed though :no I'll have to put one up and see what happens...

djnrg787 said:
speaking of tps how do you know which one is a good one to get, and what u should set ur downlink to. for example on 119 they have 32 tps whats a good one to set up for?

Attachments

• North American Transponder List.zip
    11.4 KB · Views: 227
cool its funny my neighbor has a dish and he is looking through the woods nd i guess he has no probs. i found a better spot but finding that 30 watt dot in the sky isnt fun, do you think a 30" dish makes the dot bigger by a little bit?

I've installed alot of the smaller dss dishes that come standard when you buy a system for use with the major providers and they can often be hell to aim, especially where Dish 500 systems are concerned. Installing my first KU band FTA system I decided to see how quickly it picked up Echo 7 with the 36 inch dish and I got in a couple of seconds, literally. So it would seem to help, maybe more so where trees are an issue but thats just a guess.

To keep this in one reply, the transponder list is for use with a program called gtools. Since it's a program I'm not going to attach it for various reasons most of which might be legal. It's available for free though from the fortecstar site in their download section. If you aren't familiar with the page I can't add the url so just google that name and you should get there. Choose the Fortec Lifetime Ultra receiver from the list and follow the prompts :) The transponder list is pretty accurate from what I can tell but I've been using my blindscan function for the most part so I haven't put it to much use. Hope all of this helps you out somehow, if not feel free to berate me cause I'm into pain :yes

thanks ill have to upgrade my dish i kinda figured the 18" would be a pain. have to wonder how the installers do it so fast even through the woods. lol

HMMMM Wonder how good a signal I can get bouncing it off my pole barn?

its so frustrating trying to get a lock ive only gotten one twice before and it was on i think 2 diff directv sats. I dont get it i move up signal goes down some, so i go back to that spot move left and right and so on, every direction and it wont get a lock. im guessing its a directv dish so im gonna get a dual lnb dish 500 and a dish net box an i hope that wil help.

I hesitate to suggest this...but I will, you might try a siganl meter. You can pick one up at radio shack and other electronics stores. The only reason I hesitate is because personally I've never found them alot of use, but some people do claim they help.

djnrg787 said:
its so frustrating trying to get a lock ive only gotten one twice before and it was on i think 2 diff directv sats. I dont get it i move up signal goes down some, so i go back to that spot move left and right and so on, every direction and it wont get a lock. im guessing its a directv dish so im gonna get a dual lnb dish 500 and a dish net box an i hope that wil help.

Your dead on with that one. I just finished putting in another Dish 500 on the weekend, the signal was horrible but then one tiny little tweak and it shot straight up to 93 percent. I'm loosing my patience for hand aiming now that I'm motorized :cool: I think I'm spoiled.

questic said:
1/4" can be the difference between 100% and nothing.:)

yah i got one of those and it and the box saying the same thing i got DISH 500 dish now and a dish box so im trying that

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)