Trees...Trees....and more trees.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Morbius

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 17, 2005
N.E. Ohio
Otherwise known as the enemy to FTA systems. Now with that said. Right now i have a dish pointed at G10. Works pretty good ,but that is about the only sat i can get due to the massive amount of trees on my property, so here is the question(s)

1) Is 200' too far to run a cable from the dish to reciever

2) How much would it effect the signal/quality with branches hanging above the dish. I understand they cant be in the line of sight, but what about above them. Where i want to put it there is no line of sight issues ,but the branches are about 10' above the dish and extend out about 10' ,so since the signal travels down to the dish is it going to be a problem? The trees are pines ,so the branches are about all the same all the way up (30' trees). I would rather not have to get a tree company out here to trim them ,so what are the options

41N x 81W is my location

Thanks
Mike

Hi, Mike. You're not too far away from me.

Keep in mind with an offset dish that the signal is around 20 degrees higher in elevation than what your dish is physically pointed at.

Here's what I did when choosing a spot for my Ku setup. Made a temporary mount by bolting a Super Dish mount to some 3/4" plywood and sat some blocks on it. I could freely move it around the yard then and explore the arc to verify good LOS.

You will get more signal loss through longer runs. Make sure you use GOOD coax and possibly a passive in-line amp.

1/ 200' of good RG6 with quality (I would use snap and seal) connectors will be fine.

2/ Things overhanging the dish can be worse than whats in front of the dish I have found over the years. The angle to an off set dish can be very deceptive as it looks lower than where it seems to be pointing!

Attachments

• pdss047078.jpg
    pdss047078.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 192
depending on the dish, that offset could be from 20-25 degrees.

As PSB said, its better to have something in front than above. I have a dish that looks at the house (but gets G10 just fine) due to the offset

Great picture pete that clears a few things up. What about power lines? Got those also. Its a jungle out here..............

You would have to be real unlucky for power lines to be a problem, I have seen some installs where the dish is RIGHT in front of power lines and seemed to be working fine.

But anything between the dish and the satellite will not help.

Now I understand offset dishes.. Is that the concept behind offset dishes to clear houses, trees and what not.. Or just a plus with the offset dish..

BK

It does not change the angle that the signal comes down at! I think the main reason they designed off-set dish was to exclude as much background noise as possible.

Have a look at the below off-set dish!

Does not matter what type of dish same elevation angle coming down from the satellite.

http://www.satsig.net/22-deg-offset-dish.htm

Attachments

• Pict0080.JPG
    Pict0080.JPG
    60.2 KB · Views: 189
it's a geometry thing.

Imagine a giant prime focus dish. Cut a piece out of the top edge about 18 inches around. The focal point of the dish is directly above the center of the 'virtual' dish thus 'offset' from the real one.

maybe a geometry expert can explain it better than me.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)