Trenching Conduit from BUD to House

Captain Midnight

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 16, 2019
Greers Ferry, Arkansas
Okay, I am prepping to move into a new house. We are planning on it being a long term residence, so I want to trench and bury my dish cables in conduit. What size pipe or conduit do you use/recommend? I am planning on running 2 leads of RG-11 BTW. And a 16ga M1/M2 wire with 18ga shielded wire for my Reed sensor

I have 1-1/2" conduit for the cabling on one of my C-Band dishes. In that conduit are a ribbon cable with two coaxes motor cable and polarotor cable. Also a siamese twin coax and a single coax for the OTA antenna attached to the back of the dish mount. I used four coaxes for a Bullseye II ortho feed for a long time but using a C only ortho and a separate Ku dish now.
So there were seven cables in that conduit and it was as tight as you can get. I had to lube them to get them pulled through.
My other C-Band dish has a short run underground and I use a 2-1/2 ' corrugated plastic tubing, real flexible like a vacuum hose that I found in a surplus yard. There is a two coax, motor & polarotor ribbon and four single cables in that with a cat5 network cable as well.

Reactions: Captain Midnight
I have 1-1/2" conduit for the cabling on one of my C-Band dishes. In that conduit are a ribbon cable with two coaxes motor cable and polarotor cable. Also a siamese twin coax and a single coax for the OTA antenna attached to the back of the dish mount. I used four coaxes for a Bullseye II ortho feed for a long time but using a C only ortho and a separate Ku dish now.
So there were seven cables in that conduit and it was as tight as you can get. I had to lube them to get them pulled through.
My other C-Band dish has a short run underground and I use a 2-1/2 ' corrugated plastic tubing, real flexible like a vacuum hose that I found in a surplus yard. There is a two coax, motor & polarotor ribbon and four single cables in that with a cat5 network cable as well.
I've really wanted a Bullseye II but never could justify the expense

IIRC, RG11 is just under 0.5" diameter so 1.5" conduit should work for 2 RG11 plus a few more wires. I know you know this but cut a few short lengths of the wire and conduit you think should work to verify it fits to your liking. Are you planning on using schedule 40 PVC or EMT?

1-1/2-2" ought to do it. Gray conduit if you can. Stay away from schedule 20.
You might also consider a small tub of pipe-snot and a fish line.
Makes the future much easier. Mine's in the dirt since the mid 80's.

Reactions: c-spand
I HIGHLY suggest you use a larger size than you think. IF you ever have to pull new wires, you'll thank me.

IMO, 1-1/2" - 2" is the minimum size, and I suggest black coiled pipe that has no joints...

Pull a thin nylon rope through at the same time, and leave it in the pipe for later. That's another thing you'll thank me for...

Okay, I am prepping to move into a new house. We are planning on it being a long term residence, so I want to trench and bury my dish cables in conduit. What size pipe or conduit do you use/recommend? I am planning on running 2 leads of RG-11 BTW. And a 16ga M1/M2 wire with 18ga shielded wire for my Reed sensor
I used 3/4 inch gray plastic and already wish I had used bigger!

Reactions: FTA4PA
Did mine with some leftover 1 1/2 sch 40 Cantex PVC conduit from when I ran power to the shed, I put plastic weather heads on em cuz it fills with rainwater otherwise. So far it fits one rg6, a pair of 14 awg stranded wire, and a shielded 18-4 cable. Should have room for another rg6. I also have a good Greenlee fish tape which helped

I used 2" PVC when I laid mine 18 years ago and it's been fine. As others have suggested pull an extra string through for future use. I also suggest to use two 45 deg angle fittings rather than a single 90 deg at each end. Makes it easier pulling cable through.
Carlon long sweeps from the electrical dept.
Dont forget the pipe snot. lol!!