Tribune Broadcasting Company Blacks Out DISH Customers in 33 Markets;

If you get a free OTA dongle, I also want a free OTA dongle. Let me know. . .
Earlier in this thread, I reported that I had received the free indoor antenna, but there was no OTA module. (The Dish customer service agent had checked with his superiors and told me that I would be getting an OTA module). Today, I walked out my front door, and to my surprise, sitting on the front steps was a Dish OTA module for my HWS receiver! I was debating whether or not to call Dish and ask for the OTA module, but Dish made good on their offer to me! (The antenna was shipped from Indiana, and the OTA module was shipped from Colorado. I received the OTA module 2 days after receiving the antenna).

Thanks a lot Dish for the free antenna and OTA module!

I got a tracking number via email from UPS that suggests an antenna will be waiting when I get home tonight. I signed up for the Sling / Tribune / FOX offer but haven't gotten anything yet. Has anyone successfully gotten the Sling offer?

EXACTLY why the corporations are pushing out the average subscriber out of subscribing to pay tv. This greedy cycle of extortion and forced bundling is killing the present sat/cable model. Either it will collapse entirely or the government will step in and re-regulate the entire industry. The question is how long will it take. Trusting big business to self regulate is like putting the fox in charge of the hen house.
Of course, the increasing fees (which, as I understand it has nothing to do with retrans rates) have nothing to do with the increased monthly cost either. :rolleyes:

If the FCC removed the restriction blocking providers from importing distant or neighboring locals during disputes, you'd see these blackouts remain less. Less government restriction would help the natural order of supply and demand. Government interaction is what caused the issue.

Reactions: bobvick
And how's that been working out for you so far?

There are legitimate needs for government regulation in the industry. Getting involved in price negotiations is not one of them. You and I and other consumers are who allow the prices to be what they are. When we no longer find the service to have value, prices will adjust accordingly. Government price controls are never in anyone's best interest.

There are legitimate needs for government regulation in the industry. Getting involved in price negotiations is not one of them. You and I and other consumers are who allow the prices to be what they are. When we no longer find the service to have value, prices will adjust accordingly. Government price controls are never in anyone's best interest
Maybe in a textbook world, but reality does not follow suit. Let's take cord cutting, for example. Subs are down across the board in the Pay TV industry. So, if things work as you say, with less demand, why a prices going up? Corpotations...the "revenue generators" (or perhaps revenue extractors would be more honest) set the prices. But, you are correct. Yes, people can make a choice. But more often than not in this world, they don't...they pay up.

I live in Santa Clarita which is located about 45 miles North of Los Angeles. Most of the LA TV Stations transmit from Mt.Wilson which
isn't that far away as the crow flies. However, there are several mountain ranges between us and Mt. Wilson. The result is no OTA TV
for the 200K residents here. My Father-In-Law who lives 25 miles away in North Hollywood is direct line of sight of Mt. Wilson. He gets
something like 80 OTA channels for free. None of the LA TV Stations have ever done diddley squat to bring free OTA TV to the Santa
Clarita Valley. I've had DISH for years with the most basic package just so that I could watch KTLA Channel 5 news (Tribune of course), that
I should be able to get for free. And needless to say, I wasn't happy when I tuned in to find Channel 5 blacked out. I keep DISH for Ch. 5
and also because the kids want to watch some cartoon channels I can't get on FTA. These big Media Corporations really get under my skin. It's so Childish just to pull the plug and be a Bully because someone isn't gullible enough to pay their unreasonable rate increases. And yes, as many of you have said, they could care less about their viewers, or the public as a whole.

Earlier in this thread, I reported that I had received the free indoor antenna, but there was no OTA module. (The Dish customer service agent had checked with his superiors and told me that I would be getting an OTA module). Today, I walked out my front door, and to my surprise, sitting on the front steps was a Dish OTA module for my HWS receiver! I was debating whether or not to call Dish and ask for the OTA module, but Dish made good on their offer to me! (The antenna was shipped from Indiana, and the OTA module was shipped from Colorado. I received the OTA module 2 days after receiving the antenna).

Thanks a lot Dish for the free antenna and OTA module!

I am glad you got the OTA module, but I will not ask them for one. The truth is their free RCA HD Antenna isn't all that great and frankly is an eyesore to put in your window. I just bought a $17 antenna on sale from Amazon for my bedroom, and now I get all of the networks including 2 Fox and 3 PBS, and everything within 30 miles; the RCA was good for only about 21 miles. Dish didn't select a very good "free" HD antenna but it was a nice gesture. It could help release us from the grip of the broadcast networks which were supposed to be free to the public.

Last edited:
I am glad you got the OTA module, but I am not going to bother asking them for it. The truth is their free RCA HD Antenna is nothing to shout about and frankly is an eyesore to put in your window. I bought a $17 antenna from Amazon, and now I get all of the networks, and everything within about 28 miles, the RCA was good for only about 20 miles. I think Dish didn't select a very good "free" HD antenna.
Free and Very Good do not go hand in hand.

Reactions: DWS44
I am glad you got the OTA module, but I will not ask them for one. The truth is their free RCA HD Antenna isn't all that great and frankly is an eyesore to put in your window. I just bought a $17 antenna on sale from Amazon for my bedroom, and now I get all of the networks including 2 Fox and 3 PBS, and everything within 30 miles; the RCA was good for only about 21 miles. Dish didn't select a very good "free" HD antenna but it was a nice gesture. It could help release us from the grip of the broadcast networks which were supposed to be free to the public.
Yeah it didn't work at my house either.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

just a little follow up ...
decided to vent with the chat rep

they offered me the antenna, which they made sure to tell me was a $59 value
i fired back with , instead of antenna, give me $59 refund
then they offered a $5 credit , and i almost lost my marbles
he was then 'ok'ed' to give me $10 credit and fox in spanish 'to watch open on sunday'
i asked to speak to the person that ok;'ed it
supervisor came around and gave me $5 off for three months and a one time $10 refund

after all this im still shopping around,

if i cancel before i receive antenna, do they expect it back
not sure how that works

just a little follow up ...
decided to vent with the chat rep

they offered me the antenna, which they made sure to tell me was a $59 value
i fired back with , instead of antenna, give me $59 refund
then they offered a $5 credit , and i almost lost my marbles
he was then 'ok'ed' to give me $10 credit and fox in spanish 'to watch open on sunday'
i asked to speak to the person that ok;'ed it
supervisor came around and gave me $5 off for three months and a one time $10 refund

after all this im still shopping around,

if i cancel before i receive antenna, do they expect it back
not sure how that works
Happy shopping....as long as you know what you are shopping for!

This is going to go until September (NFL and new fall season) ain't it?
I highly doubt it, but if it does I'll lose at least three Seattle Seahawks preseason games since Q13 (KCPQ) is the local preseason home of the Seahawks. Regular season's not as big a problem since I live close enough to get CTV Vancouver off air and they'll likely have the Seahawks games.

As to the Seattle Sounders, their games get reaired on Root Sports so they're not completely lost.

Right now all I'm losing is FOX network coverage of the U.S. Open. No, FOX Sports Go isn't making it available online, at least not where I live.

Bottom line: "Enough whining you two. I'm among those who are paying for this. Get in the room, get at the table, don't leave without a deal. And bring in an arbitrator if you really give a damn about the viewers.The End."

Reactions: jamesjimcie
Call Dish and they should give you free Fox Network on Sling for a few weeks until it is resolved. I signed up for the Sling offer a couple of days ago and they still haven't sent the offer.

I got a tracking number via email from UPS that suggests an antenna will be waiting when I get home tonight. I signed up for the Sling / Tribune / FOX offer but haven't gotten anything yet. Has anyone successfully gotten the Sling offer?
I got the sling offer but after following the instructions, it failed to work. "Authorization Error Occurred (8-270)" Contacted Dish and they said to contact Sling, which I did, and Sling said Dish didn't activate it properly so I gave up. Then I get a call from Dish saying that they want to send me a new Sling adapter for free, that just came out yesterday, that will allow me to watch my local channels until the blackout is over. Has anyone heard about this? I have my doubts. If it's actually an antenna they are sending, then it will do no good because I can't get OTA at my location.

You can't get the Tribune Fox Channel on Sling, but you can see the delayed episodes of the Fox Shows, the same shows you might see on Hulu.

My other channels also didn't work, probably won't bother with it, because I am only missing Tribune CW channel which I now get over the air for free

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts