Tribune Broadcasting Company Blacks Out DISH Customers in 33 Markets;

Maybe I'm a 'glass half empty' guy, but I saw it as just the opposite. This thing is dragging on, and Dish is trying to stem the tide of defections. It feels like weakness to me. Hope I'm wrong...

I agree with you - I have a feeling the channels aren't close to coming back. For those who are able to get their Tribune stations with the OTA antenna, having the guide data gives those Dish users very little reason to have a deal finalized. For me, I blocked the "local" looping video. In a way, I feel like Dish is saying "screw Tribune", but that sentiment only works for those who can receive the OTA signal...

Reactions: pattykay
On the other hand, this could be a sign of a longer dispute. They have been giving out the free antennas and now apparently adding guide data for those channels. It's almost a sign saying that's how you are expected to watch those channels for a while.

Reactions: pattykay
Yeah, I see it as a longer outage and this action by Dish will appease those with OTA as a backup. Problem is, the number of customers with OTA has to be rather small.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

I thought that the guide data (station programming schedule) was the intellectual property of the broadcaster and they couldn't offer it without their permission (outside of PSIP provided data which is a moot point).

I thought that the guide data (station programming schedule) was the intellectual property of the broadcaster and they couldn't offer it without their permission (outside of PSIP provided data which is a moot point).

So did I.

That's what Scott said. I may have misunderstood it though. Whatever they get from Gracenote(Tribune) I guess....

The guide data is copyright of the station. Their contract states is they are not carrying the channel they can not carry the copyrighted guide info as well.

Last time I talked to a DISH executive about this issue they basically said "hell we would love to have the guide data go and people continue to get the guide, as it would solve these disputes faster if DISH customers were still able to fully enjoy these channels." (Again that is paraphrased from memory not a direct quote) :)

That's pretty clear ... "guide data is copyright of the station". Either a) it's not correct, b) Dish found a loophole, or c) Dish doesn't care.

I think its a mixture of B and C. the data is already being broadcast OTA and thats a huge gray area that I think Dish is gonna expose if it comes down to a lawsuit. I really DONT see this as good news at all to get these channels back on the birds....

Dish put NBCSN in free preview mode for the whole 2 markets(OKC being mine) Tribune Media has NBC so we could watch at least some of the Olympics. I dont think thats a good sign that the 2 companies are even remotely close.

I think its a mixture of B and C. the data is already being broadcast OTA and thats a huge gray area that I think Dish is gonna expose if it comes down to a lawsuit. I really DONT see this as good news at all to get these channels back on the birds....
The data we see on our Dish receivers is substantially more than what's broadcast in PSIP.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

Considering the timing of that quote, and just the natural progression of the market, it would make more sense that they are making headway, and are working on it. As for the NBCSN, last Olympics it was on a free preview as well. They did it back when it was Versus, also.

Reactions: kenny9966

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts