Tribune Broadcasting Company Blacks Out DISH Customers in 33 Markets;

one other question if you don't mind...... our FOX affiliate is a UHF station (ch.22) - any suggestions for an antenna? Also, I haven't used a roof-top antenna in so many years, I can't remember - can the VHF & UHF elements be mounted on the same mast?

For UHF is does not get much better then the Stellar Labs 30-2370. Both antenna can be on the same mast with a three foot separation joined with a UVSJ. If you need a pre amp you can use the RCA TVPRAMP1R with dual inputs for each antenna.

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/30-2370

http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=uvsj

http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=tvpramp1r

Reactions: xfoneguy
For UHF is does not get much better then the Stellar Labs 30-2370. Both antenna can be on the same mast with a three foot separation joined with a UVSJ. If you need a pre amp you can use the RCA TVPRAMP1R with dual inputs for each antenna.

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/30-2370

http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=uvsj

http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=tvpramp1r
awesome - I really appreciate your help/input with this. I plan to order what I need to get this going in the next few days.

awesome - I really appreciate your help/input with this. I plan to order what I need to get this going in the next few days.

I noticed that your ABC affiliate is broadcasting on low-VHF channel 5, which is not covered by the listed MCM antenna. Perhaps pamajestic can recommend an antenna that covers both low and high VHF, or an add-on for the low channels.

Reactions: xfoneguy
I hear you guys but all I know is the OTA guide info for WGHP is mysteriously gone. It was there yesterday but now the guide just says "No Info Available". This is the FOX affiliate for the Greensboro/High Point area of NC. Anyone else seeing it for this station?

I hear you guys but all I know is the OTA guide info for WGHP is mysteriously gone. It was there yesterday but now the guide just says "No Info Available". This is the FOX affiliate for the Greensboro/High Point area of NC. Anyone else seeing it for this station?
Sometimes a screw up is just a screw up and has nothing to do with Tribune negotiations. I would be surprised if it were resolved before August.

Reactions: simplexswrhs90
I noticed that your ABC affiliate is broadcasting on low-VHF channel 5, which is not covered by the listed MCM antenna. Perhaps pamajestic can recommend an antenna that covers both low and high VHF, or an add-on for the low channels.
bummers - glad you noticed that. I have little experience with these antennas and even that was a long time ago. Thanks for the "catch". I'm not sure what difference this makes, but actually channel 5 is our NBC, channel 4, ABC, and 7 is CBS.

OTA WGN-TV9 is dropping the CW to focus on Chicago Sports, so they don't need to sub-contract out sports to WCIU or another Independent Station due to Network Commitment. WGN carries the Blackhawks, Cubs, Sox & Bulls (these teams also are on other stations)

That would explain why I'm seeing more Cubs games on WGN recently than I have in years. I thought they just moved the games there to annoy the Dish customers into calling.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The OTA guide data required an actual "uplink" to add them. There is no (recent) uplink report showing the data was removed. You are the only person who has reported this (for any Tribune station), that I've seen, so I suspect it's just a glitch.

Reactions: simplexswrhs90
I want to say that DISH was more than fair to me when it comes to the cost of KTLA (I pay $2/month for the channel when it was sold as a Superstation) I called in inquiring about a possibility of a one time $10 credit, I figured five months would give them plenty of time to get a new deal worked out and they counter offered a $5/month credit for three months. I didn't want to fully remove KTLA just in case it does comes back on I don't lose my grandfathered status and everyone who was grandfathered in gets to keep it. (Although knowing the past this probably won't be the case)

Also something else that happened this week, the CW shows will no longer be on HULU... so yeah that stinks even though I'm not sure if they will be available via the CW's website during the current season.

I agree that Tribune and Dish are probably far apart in negotiations and are probably not talking very much to each other at this point and it looks like it won't be resolved in a few weeks, even. However, at some point pretty soon, I do believe it will be Tribune who will have to blink because they are losing ad revenue since the channels were prevented from re-transmission to today: they been losing money and are still losing quite a bit of money right now. Dish's consequences may not be for at lest a quarter or two and far less dire, so they can outlast Tribune. The only big money maker for Tribune is KTLA (and that means of ALL of Tribune's holding; KTLA is their goose constantly laying golden eggs that makes the entire company look good on the financials) and it must be frustrating for Tribune because they have to report the losses (reduced revenue) in the next quarter, and that is always embarrassing.

FWIW, I've talked to several subscribers of Dish I know here in Los Angeles about the loss of KTLA from their Dish line-up, and everyone has said that they just don't watch the channel that much--IF EVER. The only program some people I've asked do watch with some regularity is the KTLA Morning News, which has always been a very strong program and the best of all local morning news shows, and they do miss it somewhat, but they just watch one of the other local channels for morning news instead of KTLA. As to all the other KTLA and CW programming: they absolutely either never watch or hardly so. I expected more people to be upset, but they are not, but I'm sure there are those who are angry about the loss, just not those I've talked to. Yeah, they would like to have it back as it is another alternative in local and news programming, but they just aren't upset by its loss. Dish knows how many of us do watch the Tribune channels and it probably is not as many as we might think, even the Tribune channels that are CBS or other big net affiliate, most likely because they are in mid to smaller markets. Tribune does not have the leverage the big 4 broadcast networks have because the big 4 own their own local stations in the biggest markets in the country, so when they won't allow re-transmission it is a lot more difficult on Dish than losing all Tribune channels.

Oh, well, I really can live without KTLA, but it would be nice to have as an alternative to local news, although I think KTLA is the WORST local news in Los Angeles with their paid advertisements presented as if they were legit news reports/stories and too many young, fresh off the boat from smaller markets reporters who just aren't up to par with the more experienced and far higher paid ones here. I think KTLA is still the station that pays its reporters the least of any channel in Los Angeles--still 6 figure but a lot less by at least $100,000. OK, I give KTLA credit for good coverage--along with just about all the other local channels who all do great coverage, too--during one of our many LA disasters, but that's it. I should add that I still get KTLA OTA with the Hopper WS and on my TiVo, but IF I do choose to watch KTLA it is only for the KTLA morning news--only on occasion--and for local news as an addition to other LA local news coverage, but that is it!

Last edited:
The OTA guide data required an actual "uplink" to add them. There is no (recent) uplink report showing the data was removed. You are the only person who has reported this (for any Tribune station), that I've seen, so I suspect it's just a glitch.
The data is now back. I suspect it was a glitch.

The number of people who follow through and quit because of disputes isn't as much as some would like to believe so I always think Dish should stand firm. The networks are the ones who lose the potential viewer numbers (13 million), which impacts their advertising rates.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

bummers - glad you noticed that. I have little experience with these antennas and even that was a long time ago. Thanks for the "catch". I'm not sure what difference this makes, but actually channel 5 is our NBC, channel 4, ABC, and 7 is CBS.

My error, I was thinking the TVFool link posted earlier was for your location.

The number of people who follow through and quit because of disputes isn't as much as some would like to believe so I always think Dish should stand firm. The networks are the ones who lose the potential viewer numbers (13 million), which impacts their advertising rates.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

I agree with premise the number of lost eyes though would be much less in the case of locals since they are not nationwide. Some markets may have very few (comparative) DISH subs. But that still favors DISH as locals in most markets are in very competitive ratings races and any loss of viewers can hurt.

The number of people who follow through and quit because of disputes isn't as much as some would like to believe so I always think Dish should stand firm.
After 21+ years of satellite service (early adopter), 8+ with Dish, I will be one of the people leaving soon. I'm a big time Seahawks fan, and all of the preseason games and most of the regular ones are on Channel 13 (Fox). I'm not in an area that can receive a reliable OTA signal, so I'll be going with the most basic FIOS locals only package and dumping Dish. I'll give them until the end of July and then I'm gone.

Reactions: pattykay and EddieZ