Tribune stations gone?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
the Food Network is jointly owned by Tribune and Scripps. But I see that Scripps recently bought part of the Tribune shares and currently has controlling interest. So any fears I may have had about my D* neighbors not being able to watch their favorite cooking shows were clearly misplaced.

I wonder if once this is all resolved if we can see the additon of CLTV in the Chicago Area. CLTV is owned by tribune and is Chicago's only 24 hour local news channel. It is now available to anyone out side of comcast.

I see a few posters not familiar with this situation. Here's all you need to know; :)

If stations are pulled it will NOT be Direct who does so.

Networks should not be getting ANY compensation let alone more. This is happening more and more, really old news, a quick search will give tons of info on this site.

Support Direct TV, let them know you are behind them, you don't want prices going up because of this. Imagine every single local channel making demands of higher and higher costs. This is not the same as USA or TNT, there is one USA, one TNT, etc, but there are hundreds of local networks to deal with. All carrying much the same programming other than local news.

I see a few posters not familiar with this situation. Here's all you need to know; :)

Networks should not be getting ANY compensation let alone more. This is happening more and more, really old news, a quick search will give tons of info on this site.

Support Direct TV, let them know you are behind them, you don't want prices going up because of this. Imagine every single local channel making demands of higher and higher costs. This is not the same as USA or TNT, there is one USA, one TNT, etc, but there are hundreds of local networks to deal with. All carrying much the same programming other than local news.

+1

Thankfully I do not have any tribune stations, if I did I would probably just move anyways. :)

Isn't WGN America a part of this (unless if it is not in your package)?
Good thing you are not from New Orleans. WGNO (ABC) 26 and WNOL (The CW) 38 are both Tribune stations.

It' not fair that TNT, TBS, ESPN, USA... etc get tons of revenue just from subscriber fees, not necessarily the result of a good product and advertising revenue. The commercial stations before this law had to put out a good product period or they'd be off the air.
It's the networks that put out the programming that people want, not the locals. 99.99% of local programming is crap and local news has become a circus side show or even paid infomercials. Who cares if they disappear or not. Most pay-tv subscribers would be just as happy getting a direct network feed. The re-trans fee game should be done away with. The local station owners couldn't care less about their audience. If they did, they would tell people to watch ota and not push them to another provider.

The difference between Dish and Directv, is Directv has always gotten their deals done.... Dish on the other hand... Not so much..

So, DirecTV has never had a deal fall through (like Versus from August 2009-March 2010 and G4)? I am not trying to make this the hate on certain providers thread. Most if not all providers (whether it is DirecTV, Dish, Uverse, Fios, your local cable company, etc.) are having disputes with not only local affiliates of networks but also with cable/satellite channels.

Isn't WGN America a part of this (unless if it is not in your package)?
Good thing you are not from New Orleans. WGNO (ABC) 26 and WNOL (The CW) 38 are both Tribune stations.

Don't know if it is or not, we never watch WGN. So I wouldn't notice if it fell off or not.

Yep, good thing I do not "live" in New Orleans right now. Although losing ABC and CW would not have any affect on our viewing.

The difference between Dish and Directv, is Directv has always gotten their deals done.... Dish on the other hand... Not so much..
Sad, but true. That's one reason why I think this thread is much ado about nothing. You D* subs always seem to get your programming with minimal, or even no, interruption during these disputes. The disputes themselves also seem to happen far less frequently than with Dish.

So, DirecTV has never had a deal fall through G4)?
Directv dropped G4 at the end of the contract because it "was useless"

Directv has had disputes but they are usually minimal if ever. The ones that really come to mind are Fox and YES

DodgerKing said:
DirecTV has conflict issues like this every year. A few months ago it was with FOX. The difference is, unlike with Dish, the channels seldom get pulled because an agreement is usually reached ahead of time.

To be fair, with the FOX issue between both companies, DirecTV and FOX had a previous working relationship, with DirecTV becoming official sponsors of sports events. DirecTV even had a stake in some of the FOX Sports RSNs (I know that they were rebranded to ROOT since). Dish on the other hand didn't have that relationship. However, you are correct that DirecTV historically does settle disputes before signal loss where Dish more likely doesn't. I can't wait for Disney's contract to expire with Dish, that is going to suck.

Tampa8 said:

However, USA and TNT penetrates the entire US, where these locals only penetrate their DMAs. I actually agree that if a signal can be received free through OTA, then you can't complain if someone retransmits it. Also, all these providers should provide them free of charge (except equipment rental fees) to anyone who doesn't want to pay for more channels.

Scott Greczkowski said:
I think we WILL see the Tribune stations going away on Saturday.

I did however see a full page ad in todays Hartford Courant (which is also owned by Tribune) which I have attached below.

Now THAT'S an ad! I don't recall ever seeing a two page middle of the paper ad. Of course, 10 or 20 years from now, how many of us will remember when newspapers came on paper? ;)

Sadly, I think we'll be seeing more channels go dark, at least for a while. Costs simply can't keep going up so fast.

Seems that channel 39 here has been pulled before the deadline :/.

Now THAT'S an ad! I don't recall ever seeing a two page middle of the paper ad. Of course, 10 or 20 years from now, how many of us will remember when newspapers came on paper? ;)

Yup, the only thing I use the local newspaper for is starting my fireplace :)

However, USA and TNT penetrates the entire US, where these locals only penetrate their DMAs. I actually agree that if a signal can be received free through OTA, then you can't complain if someone retransmits it. Also, all these providers should provide them free of charge (except equipment rental fees) to anyone who doesn't want to pay for more channels.

The providers should be able to charge their costs for locals. As actually they are going in the hole on locals by themselves. The amount of money they spend on regional uplinks, fiber backhauls, POPs in each city, spotbeam satellites, etc.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

I might get an installer job

HR24 on single feed legacy 18inch dish?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)