Triple LNB - dual R10 new Install advice

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Angus

Original poster
Jan 18, 2005
Question: Is it possible to run 1 line from the multi-switched triple LNB dish to an internal Multi-switch with 4 outputs for the R10 tivos?

From searching this site, it looks like the answer is No - however, the "tech support" person at Direct TV said it was possible.

So can it work?
If so, what multi-switch would I need?

Thanks

Technically yes it sounds like you can. One line coming from the dish into a 4x8 Zinwell switch then 4 coax lines from the switch to your R10's. ANyone else out there that could chime in?

Welcome to Satelliteguys!! :welcome

It won't work because you need all 4 lines of the built in multiswitch connected to a cascading multiswitch.

What you are wanting to do will make it to where you won't be getting the proper voltage from the receivers to the dish. This doesn't hurt anything, but you won't get all the channels on each receiver.

Neutron said:
Welcome to Satelliteguys!! :welcome

It won't work because you need all 4 lines of the built in multiswitch connected to a cascading multiswitch.

What you are wanting to do will make it to where you won't be getting the proper voltage from the receivers to the dish. This doesn't hurt anything, but you won't get all the channels on each receiver.

I concur! welcome to this forum this is a great place to learn
and Neutron as 99.9% of the time is correct! again welcome and let us know how your setup turns out or if there is anything else we can do!

Thanks for the input. I ordered the hardware from Rapid, the "installer" they sent out has an IQ of -20...he did not know Tivo needed 2 inputs, did not know triple LNB had a built in multi-switch, and said he could not fish the wire from the crawl space...he left without doing a thing because he did not have the "equipment" required.

I have made 4 calles to Rapid, 5 to "install pro" and 3 to Direct TV - I have yet to connect with a person who understands the hardware. I may end up having to run the cable myself. So much for the "free standard install:

Thanks again for the help.

If you can cancel that install I would recommend going with Value Electronics. They will take care of you. They only use certified installers so you know your install will be good.

Name the .1% of the time that I'm wrong!! :D ;)

Angus said:
Thanks for the input. I ordered the hardware from Rapid, the "installer" they sent out has an IQ of -20...he did not know Tivo needed 2 inputs, did not know triple LNB had a built in multi-switch, and said he could not fish the wire from the crawl space...he left without doing a thing because he did not have the "equipment" required.

I have made 4 calles to Rapid, 5 to "install pro" and 3 to Direct TV - I have yet to connect with a person who understands the hardware. I may end up having to run the cable myself. So much for the "free standard install:

Thanks again for the help.

must have be a real rookie not to have know that or sounds like his first install

Sorry for the misinformation. That's why we are all here to help. Thanks everyone for chiming in. I learned something new today!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)