Triple Play cheaper than Double Play but don't need phone

dm88

Original poster
Dec 4, 2013
Washington State
I have been on a Triple Play for a few years and don't really need the phone service. I have been trying Ooma out for several months in the hopes of dropping Comcast Voice and it has worked great. So since my current promotion is up this month, I called to see if I could just get cable and internet and they offered me the Preferred XF Triple Play for $119 a month (comes to $140 a month before taxes with the DVR, modem, and two digital adapters) for 2 years with a contract. If I were to downgrade and get just starter cable and internet, it is more expensive than this package which includes Preferred TV. Is this the best way to go? I even looked into getting Direct TV but I wouldn't be saving much because internet costs more with Comcast if you only subscribe to that. Is there anyway to get off of a Triple Play so I could actually save by having my own modem and not getting phone service? Or is this price as good as it's going to get?

We sell Charter and its actually cheaper to do the triple play with a promotion than do just TV and Internet.

Just get the phone during the promotion and don't do it.

The idea is that the providers want you to get used to using the phone so you will keep it after the promotion is over. The phone really doesn't cost the cable company to provide you with service, all but maybe 15 cents per month for them to keep the number.

Can I buy a regular modem (one that isn't voice capable because I don't want to pay $150 for it at Best Buy which all the posts I have read say you have to do) and just not use the phone service so I can save $7 a month?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts