xfinity triple play

mijd

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 17, 2012
Sarasota fl
I'm in my 3rd month of Verizon fios double play with increased speeds to 50/50mbs and multiroom DVR. I can see the difference in picture Verizon vs D* and at times noticed hesitations in the picture on he main DVR. A couple of times there has been 30 to 45 second "hiccups" in the connection also.
Two weeks ago I bit the bullet and signed up for Xfinity Triple Play.... $2 more a month than my Verizon Double. The package includes double the download speed and digital preferred vs Verizon's channel lineup. The only draw back so far is with the phone, I can't use my own wireless modem and Comcast will not wave the $65.00 install fee. The CSR assured me I could call after install and substitute my modem for theirs if I have the phone disconnected. All this and no contract.
I've read pros and cons for Xfinity's X1.... I'm hoping Xfinity has worked the bugs out of their system. If any one else has new experiences with Xfinity, please post, I'd be interested in reading your opinions. Thanks.

I believe the triple play deal requires a special cable modem for the phone. You'd probably be better to do the double play option and go with a VOIP phone. You can by your own modem that way and don't have to pay the $10/month modem rental fee.

As far as Xfinity TV and internet (I only have the double play). They internet is speedy, but they throttle quite a few things. The more popular the site, the more likely you'll see things get throttled. Only thing not throttled for sure is speed test sites. ;-)

Anyway, I'll give you an example. I get digital download copies through iTunes when I buy some new movies. I get an average download rate between 12 and 16 Mbps on those downloads. I have a 50Mbps connection. When I was with Uverse, I got the full bandwidth (~18Mbps). When I was visiting my parents over the holidays, they have Charter with 50Mbps connection. I was averaging between 40-45Mbps download through iTunes.

I don't like the X1 system. Interface is fine, it is the HW reliability that is not. I end up rebooting the DVR and the extra STB once a week. Otherwise, they get unstable. I haven't seen the issue about 'that feature is unavailable currently' as much as I did a few months ago. The STB can't pause live TV. If I was to rate the HW between Dish, Direct, Uverse and Xfinity (no Verizon in my area), I would put them in that order. Picture quality is about the same, Xfinity is slightly better, and Uverse is a little dark. Uverse has the best HD lineup hands down. Xfinity is the worst, but not too bad

I've had the X1, as part of the triple play deal, for almost a year now. My experience with the X1 has been quite good. I can only recall rebooting it perhaps two or three time times during that year due to being non-responsive. There was one evening there was a system wide outage that was fixed by the following morning. I did miss a recording that night but that was easily solved thanks to Xfinity's extensive on-demand offerings. This system has actually been more reliable for me than Dish was. I was with Dish for almost 15 years. The client box has been a little more troublesome, as far as reboots, but again no worse than Dish's receivers.

Picture quality seems fine to me although I currently max out at 55".

I've noticed no issues streaming content from iTunes or Amazon. I generally try to download and watch later with iTunes but streaming has been fine. I have the 105 Mbps Blast service. It is supposed to be upped to 150 Mbps but I haven't seen the increase so far.

We have had the Infinity X1 DVR for several weeks now, and except for one evening when it didn't record any of the programs it was supposed to, we've had no problems. It seems to be reliable, and now that I've got used to the remote, easy to work. Downloads are working fine, too. I have no complaints.

e have the triple play currently with 2 active TIVO units I bought them used one with lifetime service the other one I upgraded to lifetime. I have a 3rd tivo lifetime, but havent got a cable card. I may set it up for sabrina.

You can buy a comcast compatible modem with phone but they cost a fortune

I am thinking of dropping the phone, go to ooma, drop cable completely and upgrade internet speed

ease of operation is key for sabrina

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)