TRIPOD Recommendations....

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Mosnowman

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 14, 2010
Midwest
What type of tripod would you recommend and where do you find them for temporary use with a slimline 3lnb direct tv dish?

I looked at this one "H&G HEAVY-DUTY SATELLITE DISH TRIPOD" recommended here, but they are out of stock and I need one asap....any suggestions?

+1 for H&G HD Tripod at www.tv4rv.com . I just took mine on the road for ten days and after you get the dish adjusted to mast assembly "just right" setup from then on is very easy.

Mine is now tweaked. Upon arrival I power up my DVR as they boot-up slowly. I then use the coordinates downloaded from www.dishpointer.com and using the included compass align the H&G EZ Aim mark of the tripod directly at the magnetic azimuth. Then, using the included level, I level the tripod. I then get the dish, which now has the H&G mast assembly permanently and precisely aligned *, and set the elevation and tilt. I place the dish in the tripod aligning the dish and tripod reference marks . Bingo, I have signal in the nineties.

I have found nothing on the market that beats the H&G Kit for price, accuracy, and convenience. I'd wait for them to become available.

* You should do this step at home. The H&G mast assembly slips into to the bottom of the Slimline HD base. It has a orientation mark that you align with the mark on the tripod. At home you align the reference marks and tighten the mast assembly to your tripod. You then slip the dish onto the mast with no tilt and the proper elevation set. Rotate it until you get the highest readings off the 101. Tighten the dish sleeve to the mast. Your left/right alignment will likely move. Loosen it and redo it until you have the dish tightened down to the mast with your best reading. In the future, once the tripod azimuth is set the dish (with elevation and tilt pre-set) will also be set. You only need to align the dish and tripod reference marks and you are done. The two most important steps are a dead-on shot at the 101 and a level tripod that provides an absolutely plumb mast.

I also bought the Heavy Duty folding LNB kit. The compass, bubble level, and signal finder, included in the combo kit are useful and necessary in my opinion.

Accuracy is the key and the tv4rv kit provides the equipment and tools to accomplish it.

Homemade tripod

I found this website where you can get plans to build your own tripod. I built mine about six months ago, and it is very fast. Assembly and hook up in about 5 minutes. Go to satellite-signal-tripod.com and check it out.

Will this tripod adjust for uneven ground? Included in the plans? And what is a rough estimate of build cost?

It sounds very good and something I'd really like to do.

Here is mine.
http://www.dbstalk.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=19800&d=1254164428
Phase III w/ slimline 3LNB. 3/4" plywood is a good heavy base w/ no tipping issue. In the process of switching out the wooden strips and C-clamps for 3/4" aluminum angle and these spring clamps. Shop BESSEY 2" Metal Spring Clamp at Lowes.com
Plumb the mast on each leg using an 8" level w/ magnet strip, swing around to the correct az, dial in 101, and tweak the 99s and 103 w/ the slick elev. adjustment kit from tv4rv.com.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)