Trouble locking on satellites

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ronithayer

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 14, 2011
United States
I am using an oval 36 inch dish(no motor) with Starband LNB. I am using a viewsat pro. I am able to lock on galaxy 19 with a signal of about 80% and quality at 40-50%. Is the dish not big enough or do I need to fix something?

Signal Level is not to important other than to indicate that the receiver is attached to a powered LNBF. Signal Quality readings are what determines if a channels is received and if enough of the data is available in order to display a picture or play audio. Signal Quality readings will vary widely from receiver to receiver and are influenced by your location within the satellite's footprint of coverage.

Where are you located?

What transponder is the Signal Quality reading? Is this transponder the highest Quality reading? Are some transponders good quality while others are low and the picture is breaking up into blocks?

Have you twisted the LNBF rotation (SKEW) or slid forward or aft to optimize the Quality reading?

What are the actual horizontal and vertical measurements for your dish? Have you checked to see if the dish is warped or bent? Stretch two strings edge to edge across the face of the dish, one vertically and another horizontally. Do the strings lightly touch in the center? If not the reflector is damaged and will need to be corrected to reelect all signals into the LNBF.

Last edited:
The best quality is on 12084 H 22000 and some are better then others. I also skew the dish is this better then skewing the lnb? I will have to check the dish out later.

If the mast is PERFECTLY plumb, then skewing the dish will provide the same result. If the mast is not PERFECTLY plumb, then skewing the dish also changes the elevation and the azimuth. I would suggest to leave the dish at the level centered position (0 or 90 degrees) and make the skew adjustments with the LNBF rotation inside the LNBF clamp.

Be great if you could provide additional information by answering as many of the previous post questions. By getting the big picture of your installation, we will be in a better position to provide better advice. :D

From my memory, have not done any dish install for almost two years as I am retired. You dish is big enough, if their LNBF has not change, you are able to get good signal quality. You have to rotate your LNBF thats depend where you live, east or west coast., and your dish need to be straight for stable signal.

Are you sure you are setting your LNB corretly?

Checi if your LNB is universal Linear or Standard because each one needs a different configuration on STB.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)