Trouble with 610 update and VIP722

Laserich

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Aug 6, 2008
Stationary Orbit
Hi all, the new 610 software update to my VIP722 is causing a couple of screen rez problems and I'm wondering if anyone else has seen this.

TV2 won't remember the "Normal/Letterbox" format setting, and TV1 suffers from a shrinking picture.

If you're watching an HD version of a channel on TV2 and you use the Format button on the remote, as soon as someone changes the channel on TV1, the picture on TV1 shrinks to the upper corner of the screen.

Also, on TV2, if you're watching an HD version of a channel in the Letterbox format, the next morning the TV2 picture will be full screen on all HD channels, yet the channel banner shows it should be Letterbox.

If you toggle the Format button on the remote to Normal and back to Letterbox, the picture will reset to letterbox.

But then after doing that, oh no:mad:, changing the channel on TV1 will cause the picture to shrink. Actually, just pressing a number on the remote will do it. Then you have to go into the 6-8 menu and change the format to 4x3, and then back to 16x9, to fix TV1.

I've contacted Dish but haven't heard anything back from techsup. The person I spoke with hadn't heard of the problem, so be sure to tell Dish! !protest :)

Last edited:
I've watched both SD and HD channels on my TV2 since the upgrade and haven't noticed any such problems. Perhaps your box was on the verge of having some hardware problems and the update set them off, or your update didn't install properly? I'm no expert so I can't be sure.

See my posts and others in Technical Discussions from yesterday--Small Picture/722 and L610 Software Bug. Problem seems to only occur when the format has/is changed on the TV2 Tuner while on an HD channel. PITA:mad:

Ed

Laserich--Sorry I didn't notice that wuz you.:eek: I'm guessing there haven't been a lot of posts from 722 people with L610 'cause they haven't had someone change the format on TV2 while on an HD channel AND the TV1 channel is changed thereafter. Thanks for your temporary fix that negates having to reboot and welcome to the forum!

Ed

Yes, I have the exact same problem on my 722.

Hi Rob, if you haven't already, let Dish know so they will fix this mess asap.

Well, I was going to post the link to Contact Dish, but I'm not allowed due to an arbitrary can't-post-URL's-until-after-you've-made-6-posts requirement.

I've watched both SD and HD channels on my TV2 since the upgrade and haven't noticed any such problems. Perhaps your box was on the verge of having some hardware problems and the update set them off, or your update didn't install properly? I'm no expert so I can't be sure.

Naw, You'll never see it unless TV2's FORMAT is changed on an HD channel, THEN a channel change is made on TV1. Gotta be the right scenario or you won't have a problem. I'm guessing that's why there aren't a lot of posts on this. But then I sure ain't no expert either.........:rolleyes:

BTW, I tried Rob321's suggestion of hitting the FORMAT button on the TV1 remote and it did get me back to a normal picture without going into the menu or rebooting but it's still a bug that needs fixin'.

Ed

Probably, also, the ratio setting of the Tv itself affects this. As in, if your TV screen ratio is set to 16x9 versus the "set by program" setting.

With the latter, my TV1 screen goes from the shrunken video to a 4x3 screen after using the Format button on the Dish remote.

My sixth post...hooray! Party at my house.:cool:

Just got an email from Dishtechsup that says they're aware of this issue, that it is software related, and that they're working on a speedy resolution.

My 722 problem began last week on TV1. When turning on the 722 I get a small picture at the top left corner of my 61" 1081i Samsung. When trying to adjust the picture the screen blanks out and I get the message "connection not supported." (I have an older TV and can only do component video) I connected a standard video cable so that I could see something, went in to the 722 HDTV settings, reduced my setting from 1080i to 720p, got a picture back, then went back in and changed the settings back to 1080i. That seemed to take care of the problem. A pain, but a fix. I then called E on Saturday. The technician I spoke to said her own personal 722 did something similar. She fixed the problem by just hitting the format button on the remote. I tried that later that night, it didn't work. She did go ahead and entered the wo# and thinks it has to do with the latest software upgrade. I guess that would make sense if the my 722 is trying to put out 1080p and my Samsung can only do 1080i. I will monitor and call back in a week if the problem persists. If anyone else is having these problems they need to call E to make the issue known.

This is still an issue, with a tiny picture on TV1 up in the corner of the screen. Why hasn't Dish corrected this huge problem..it's just ridiculous!

well, it's the 12th and i still have 5.12 on my 622
I thought all were done by the 11th ?

granted I don't want this bug added to my unit as i am happy with 5.12
and my TV is also 1080i

argh...they've probably halted the 610 rollout until they finish their ongoing bug checking. Must be why there aren't a majority of people seeing the mini screen.:eek:

Here is the only bug I have noticed so far, as I only have been watching HD, that I posted in another thread:

After my 722 got the new turbo software (6.10) there was a message on my screen about the smart card not authorized for the channel (OTA Local), use the up/down arrow or please wait. 3 or 4 minutes later the picture returned. If my wife turned on the box first Dish would have been called and screaming would follow. A reboot brought the same message, so I let it sit to see if "please wait" really worked.

There is a new L612 update this morning, but the picture in the corner bug still exists. Unbelievable. I'd say this amounts to an ongoing failure to provide acceptable service and breaches the contract for my Dish subscription commitment.

hopefully this L612 fixes my new audio problem that popped up with L610. My audio on SD channels cuts out after about 4 seconds. HD audio is fine though.

Small picture

I had the same problem when I downloaded the VOD " I AM LEGEND ". I have a 1080p RPTV, and it plays my Blu-ray discs fine. But when trying to watch the VOD, the picture was in the top left corner. The display on my TV stated that the signal was indeed 1080p. When I went into the menu on my ViP722 and switched display to 720p and then back to 1080i, the input signal changed from 1080p to 1080i and I once again had full screen, but at 1080i. I tried all the usual fixes ( reset, unplug, performing a switch check, checking all connections, etc ), but nothing worked. I called Dish, and they had no clue, but stated they would check on my problem. Hopefully the next software update will address this problem. :confused: :confused: :confused: