Trouble with dish angles

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Ga.Boy

Original poster
Oct 30, 2007
Spent most of the day trying to tune in 1st "BUD" in 20 yrs. Printed out "The List ". The "LIST" shows my true South sat. to be Nimiq 2 @ 82 degrees, Ku Circular @ elevation 51.5 degrees. Nearest C-band is Brasilsat B3 @ 84 degrees @ elevation 51.5 degrees. My angle of declination is 5 1/2 degrees. So 46 plus 5 1/2 eguals 51.5 degrees. I looked with actuator running off battery charger @ 12 v = 1/3 speed (very slow) from 46 degrees plus 5 degrees plus fixed declination to 46 degrees minus 5 degrees plus fixed declination for awhile with no luck today. Did some reading here tonight. My polar axis is to be the same as my latitude, which is 33 degrees plus my fixed angle of declination 5.5 degrees = total of 38.5 degrees. The "LIST" shows 51.5 degrees as elevation. If you add 51.5 and 38.5 you get 90 degrees total. Are the Ku dish angles off the vertical plane and BUD angles off the horizontal plane. Will find sats tomorrow using 33 degrees plus fixed angle of declination, not 46 degrees. I hope this helps some newbies to C-band to set their polar axis the same degree as their latitude and save a day.

My polar axis is to be the same as my latitude, which is 33 degrees
This is correct....
plus my fixed angle of declination 5.5 degrees = total of 38.5 degrees. The "LIST" shows 51.5 degrees as elevation.
This is where the reflector will actually point to, if you have a Prime Focus dish, and I assume you do?
If you add 51.5 and 38.5 you get 90 degrees total. Are the Ku dish angles off the vertical plane and BUD angles off the horizontal plane. Will find sats tomorrow using 33 degrees plus fixed angle of declination, not 46 degrees. I hope this helps some newbies to C-band to set their polar axis the same degree as their latitude and save a day.
I don't really know which one is which (vertical/horizontal), I know one is up and down, while the other is across the board, but I couldn't tell you which is which? I use a Magnetic Protractor, and it easily attachs to the Polar Mount Bar to get my 32.5 degrees, and it just as easily attachs to the Declination Bar to get the 38 degrees (which makes it 52 degrees with the math, from 90 degrees) I need for my location. Remember to have the dish pointed to as straight up as you can get it and the Polar Mount pointed to true North/South when you do this...

Thanks VoomVoom and Anole for greeting & infor. I have been reading and preparing for 2 months. I got 2ea. 10' BUDS, one for spare parts if needed, from neighbors "Free". Lots more in the area. Picked out the best looking, nothing special yet, both are channel master in excellent condition. Had polar mounts sandblasted, I primed with zinc - painted flat black. Replaced "All" bolts in dish and polar with new. Disassenbled actuators to check gear condition, switches, and motor brushes. Checked every alignment with strings during reassembly. Bought new LNB to make sure. Then MISSED ANGLE as stated above. Let you know results of angle adjustment later this week.

Oh, VoomVoom. I am in Burke county. About 40 miles South of Augusta,GA. It's 8 miles to nearest small town that doesn't even have a red light. Live in the sticks.

I got 2ea. 10' BUDS, one for spare parts if needed, from neighbors "Free".
...both are channel master in excellent condition.
Had polar mounts sandblasted, I primed with zinc - painted flat black.
Replaced "All" bolts in dish and polar with new.
Disassembled actuators to check gear condition, switches, and motor brushes.
Checked every alignment with strings during reassembly.
Bought new LNB to make sure.
Very impressive! Wish you'd taken some pictures along the way.
Well , it's not too late. Show us the beef!
Sounds like you'll be in for some great TV-watchin' pretty soon.
You going after strictly FTA, or maybe some 4DTV, too?

Wish I had taken beginning pictures also. I need to complete this BUD project. But, I have bought a 30" Ku dish, OPH-031 LNB,and SG2100 motor. All still in the shop new. I will look at 4DTV later. I sub Dish now. Just starting to enjoying this new hobby now

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)