Status
Please reply by conversation.

Mike045

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 28, 2005
Quebec
Hi everyone,
I own a 10' BUD with Corotor II Plus, and the following LNBs (see attachements):
C-Band: Cal Ampl Part No. 140011
Ku-Band: Cal Amp Part No. 31186
I have not trouble getting the analog signals (C and Ku bands) with my Drake 1724 receiver. Now I am trying to setup my system to get the digital FTA channels.
I added splitters (see attachment) and a DiseqC switch to feed my DVB-S Pci card (SkyStar2); I did once get the DWelle on AMC1 but lately not been able to repeat that feat.
Can someone here confirm or not that these LNBs are fine for getting digital signals; I am beginning to suspect those, but not want to invest if they can do the job.

Mike

Attachments:

Attachments

• C-Band-Lnb.jpg
    C-Band-Lnb.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 289
  • Ku-Band-Lnb.jpg
    Ku-Band-Lnb.jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 307
  • Splitter.jpg
    Splitter.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 280
Thats not a splitter, thats a diplexer which won't work

Splitter splits the satellite signal into 2 spots
Diplexers combines OTA & Satellite to run through one cable

Once you get a satellite splitter it should work fine

otherwise get the dish on a C-Band satellite and unhook the line from the Drake and hook it directly to the PC card to see if it works (it should)

I used a 25K C-Band LNB on G4 (for the Networks) and it worked fine.

Thank Iceberg. I'll check with a true splitter, and come back with my results.

Mike

Mike045 said:
Hi everyone,
I own a 10' BUD with Corotor II Plus, and the following LNBs (see attachements):
C-Band: Cal Ampl Part No. 140011
Ku-Band: Cal Amp Part No. 31186
I have not trouble getting the analog signals (C and Ku bands) with my Drake 1724 receiver. Now I am trying to setup my system to get the digital FTA channels.
I added splitters (see attachment) and a DiseqC switch to feed my DVB-S Pci card (SkyStar2); I did once get the DWelle on AMC1 but lately not been able to repeat that feat.
Can someone here confirm or not that these LNBs are fine for getting digital signals; I am beginning to suspect those, but not want to invest if they can do the job.

Mike

Attachments:

Can't find the specs on CalAmp web site but thinking the difference between DRO's and PLL's....

On C Band I replaced the diplexer with a splitter (1 IN - 3 OUT) than I had on hand. No success so far, even if I plug the signal into the PC without the splitter.
I checked the signal strength on my Drake receiver: without the splitter I get 220 for the Galaxy 4R channel 16 (The Shepherd's Chapel Network), and 148 when the splitter is added. If I use a 1 IN - 2 OUT splitter, should I expect an increase for the received signal ? (I understand that it is not the reason why I don't get a digital reception.)
Again, if anyone here is using the LNBs for digital reception,if any, I would appreciate any comments about their experience.

Mike

Hi Mike045,
I have a drake 1724 and have used it with a sat rated splitter to split signal in between my 1724 and DVB boxs. I noticed i lost some signal with the splitter, but not as much as you indicate. Maybe you need a sat rated splitter?

Aiming on DVB is a lot "tighter" than analog. You might need to bump your dish a little, and then play with skew. Try using the auto calibrate option on the 1724, this might help you nail the sat better.

You could go for g11, it has analog fta at tp 10 vertical. Try using auto calibrate to peak signal for that signal. Than try for dvb on freq 3920, polarity horizontal (make sure you change that on the 1724), symbol rate 26000. You might have to bump dish a little or play with skew some more to peak digital signal on c band. After you have some cband going, then try for KU. Even more peaking there to get channels to come in.

As for your LNB's, you should be able to get a signal that is strong. Once you have a signal peaked you can compare with others using similiar equipment to see just how they compare.

mkm4 said:
Here is a post from last year that describes how bad these lnbs are for digital signal:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/archive/index.php/t-38480.html

I am using a 25 degree cal amp and I have no problems with a 10 ft. dish.
Probally not the best lnb. But they work. Also a 5ft or even a 6ft dish is not the ideal size for c-band w/ any lnb IMO. I should know i own a 6ft dish w/15 degree norsat and it sucks(no headroom) compared to my 10 footer with the less expensive cal amp 25 degree.

drhydro said:
Hi Mike045,
I have a drake 1724 and have used it with a sat rated splitter to split signal in between my 1724 and DVB boxs. I noticed i lost some signal with the splitter, but not as much as you indicate. Maybe you need a sat rated splitter?

Aiming on DVB is a lot "tighter" than analog. You might need to bump your dish a little, and then play with skew. Try using the auto calibrate option on the 1724, this might help you nail the sat better.

Mike045,

The preacher channels on G4 are real boomers, you can get them and still have your dish way out of alignment. My guess is Doc is right on the money with the comment about skew. As much tweaking as you've done, you're probably pretty close on dish pointing but I'd bet your skew is off.

The preacher channels on G4 are real boomers, you can get them and still have your dish way out of alignment

I learned that when I was aiming my C-Band dish (6 footer). Those come in clear but couldnt get any digital until I really fine tuned it :)

Well some progress is being made here. Thanks to drhydro, I have been able to tune to EWTN, Jewelry-TV, The World Network. So my CBand lnb seems capable of getting these digital signals.
While checking for the Ku lnb, I was getting the same EWTN channels via my disecq switch; disconnecting the CBand feed, the Ku signal was gone too. I think I have some sort of cross-modulation up my Bud; the splitters are not grounded, maybe that is the reason.
I am going to get sat rated splitters. Question: how do you know that you have those ?

Thanks for your help. I continue my investigation.

Mike045

sat rated splitters are up to 2000mhz...regular splitters go up to 1000mhz

I have some that are 5-3000mhz rated

I have been able to tune to NASA, PCN, UPN(AMC6), ZNS ,etc on AMC3, so it is ok with the CBand lnb; for sat west of Galaxy 3C, trees are blocking my view, I will have to wait to the cold seasons. From my place (46,48N 76,24 W) I could get in winter (feable) analog signals from what was C1 (137W), which is now AMC7.

By the way, the signals are coming strong; for many I get 0xffff for the signal strength.

But up to now, no success with the KuBand:( . I am working on it.

On my splitters, it says 5-2400 mhz, so they should be good.

Mike045

Hi Mike,
Glad to be of assistance. Since you can get AMC 3 digital cband, why not try for a real strong ku band signal on amc3?

First tune to amc3 analog tp 20 v (The university network, good old Doc Scott). Change polarity on the drake (all you have to do is go to channel 21) Then peak your signal for ZNS tv (freq 4106 polarity H symbol rate 6150).

After you have done that then try for KU. Try freq 11711 polarity h symbol rate 4857. You might have to "bump" your dish east / west, and play with skew some more. That is a very strong tp, maxing my meter on the pansat 2700a.

Good Luck,
Doc

Last edited:
Mike045 said:
Well some progress is being made here. Thanks to drhydro, I have been able to tune to EWTN, Jewelry-TV, The World Network. So my CBand lnb seems capable of getting these digital signals.
While checking for the Ku lnb, I was getting the same EWTN channels via my disecq switch; disconnecting the CBand feed, the Ku signal was gone too. I think I have some sort of cross-modulation up my Bud; the splitters are not grounded, maybe that is the reason.
I am going to get sat rated splitters. Question: how do you know that you have those ?

Thanks for your help. I continue my investigation.

Mike045

If you are going to bee feeding both analog & digital receivers at the same time , buy sat splitters that block DC power on one connector and pass DC power on the other .

Hook the analog receiver to the pass through & the digital to the power blocked connector .

Wyr

Been a few days on vacation (fishing)- now back to business. In the meantime I have decided to change my LNBs for the Norsat pairs: 8515 & 4506A. Today I checked anew my BUD setup, not touched since about 15 years. The elevation and offset seem OK; my focal length was a bit short ( about 1/4").

Now I got my first KU digital channels (AMC3 - MTA International, Montana PBS) by pushing a little on the rim of my BUD. I know that I have to readjust somewhat my elevation. The only problem: after all these years, the nuts are stuck with the bolts :( .

Here is the splitter that I use ( I put a terminator on the unused connection). I find that there is much loss of signal. Any comment on the quality ?

Again, thanks for helping.

Mike045

Attachments

• splitter_addison.jpg
    splitter_addison.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 183
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)