True south in Sherbrooke, Quebec

Status
Please reply by conversation.

intrust16

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 8, 2006
Have U guys had a good summer?

... wanted to reply to my old "true south in Quebec" thread but can't do it now...

Invacom QPH-031, SG2100 Motor, Winegard 76cm dish. Gecen 22khz switch. Pansat 3500sd

I was really busy and my antenna is still on the roof.

Now looking at my true south, my coordinates 45,24 and 71,54 have not been useful since I tried labgate's method of aiming to 91 then using usals to find my true south. It does switch from places and moves smoothly but no signal. Level is at 69 but no quality coming in.

1) at 45,24 what should be my elevation for those coordinates on dish and motor?

2) I have 2.573 S/R on pansat 3500SD is that OK?

set AMC 6 by editing TP to STD wich should it be 10750 or 11250 since I use the switch on the two inputs. Diseqc Off, 22khz Off, Skew 0, TP 12144 Pol V, symbol rate 2.573.

Thanks for your help

intrust16

You're at 71.5 degrees west longitude so your true south would be AMC6 at 72 west. So far you've got that down.

What you need to do is input your lat/long coordinates in the USALS menu of your receiver, along with AMC6 at 72 west. Wait for the motor to stop moving then manually adjust the dish azimuth by turning the whole motor+dish.

12146 V is a good TP. Strong signal at my location.

I'm not familiar with the SG2100 motor but I think the elevation is just 90 minus whatever your latitude is. Once you've determine it don't adjust it anymore. The only elevation adjustment you'll have to do is at the dish itself for fine tuning.

Of course, this all assumes your mounting pole/mast is perfectly plumb! :)

SG-2100 motors have a 'latitude' scale on the left side of the bracket (looking from behind the dish), simply set the little arrow on the motor to your latitude and lock it down. After that, any tweaking of elevation should be done on the dish only.

Hello Intrust

You enter your coordinates in the usual configuration.

Then you use the circular side of the lnb and you configure nimiq1 to use usals. Insure you are on a valid tp and that you configure the lnb to use 11250.

You then play with the dish to get the signal. If you are lucky there will be another bev dish that will show you approxmatively where to point at.

I've used this method many times and it works. I live in Quebec also and since our true south satellite is 72, we are not lucky. But with a powerful sat like nimiq91 it can help.

Make sure your dish and motor have the right elevation.
For you, you set elevation on the motor of 45 degrees (there is a scale on it) and for the elevation of the dish it should be (30 - 6.92), so 23.08 on the dish.

So :

make sure your post is perfectly plumb
you adjust 45 on the motor
23.08 on the dish
in the receiver you go to nimiq1 Or nimiq 91
You select usals for nimiq1
input usals coordinates in receiver (45,24 and 71,54 )
You select the lnb type at 11250.
Connect cable to the circular side of the lnb.
select a valid tp (not all tp works) like 12224 or 12239
in the usals menu goto nimiq1
make little adjustments. (mainly on dish not motor).

This should work.

Good luck

Labgate

intrust16 said:
Have U guys had a good summer?

... wanted to reply to my old "true south in Quebec" thread but can't do it now...

Invacom QPH-031, SG2100 Motor, Winegard 76cm dish. Gecen 22khz switch. Pansat 3500sd

I was really busy and my antenna is still on the roof.

Now looking at my true south, my coordinates 45,24 and 71,54 have not been useful since I tried labgate's method of aiming to 91 then using usals to find my true south. It does switch from places and moves smoothly but no signal. Level is at 69 but no quality coming in.

1) at 45,24 what should be my elevation for those coordinates on dish and motor?

2) I have 2.573 S/R on pansat 3500SD is that OK?

set AMC 6 by editing TP to STD wich should it be 10750 or 11250 since I use the switch on the two inputs. Diseqc Off, 22khz Off, Skew 0, TP 12144 Pol V, symbol rate 2.573.

Thanks for your help

intrust16

Status
Please reply by conversation.

"signs of a stealer" & hall of shame

Skew question

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)