true south satellite

Status
Please reply by conversation.

tbh9365

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 11, 2006
I have ordered the HH90 motor now and have a few more dumb questions.
I have read other threads that cover this. so I have the basic procedure.
what I'm not sure of is which satellite is my true south. My Longitude is
80.913263. So when I look at LYNGSAT, It could be AMC5, or NIMIQ2, If
I subtract my Declination. 6.51, I should be aiming at SBS6. I was going to
aim my manual dish at the Satellite to verify that there were no obstructions,
and to get an Idea of which way the dish should be pointed. Also, If I set the
Elevation for my true south satellite, I am assumeing that the motor will compensate when it moves to another satellite. Is this true?

You're closer to Nimiq 2, I'd use that as true south. But being a degree off, you might be better off using USALS to move your motor from '0' a slight bit to the position where Nimiq 2 is before peaking your setup.

The movement of the motor automatically adjusts for both elevation and LNBF skew, so make sure your LNBF is straight up and down, not twisted in either direction.

Thanks TRON. If I understand what your saying, is that If I point the dish at
173.5 degrees ( true south?) then the motor should take the dish to the proper
place when I goto nimiq2 Then I can peak my signal, tighten everything down, and
be set to go. Does this sound correct?

Last edited:
Its ALWAYS a good idea to find/store your true south satellite with a FIXED dish with no motor to start with, only then add the motor.

You will need a DBS LNBF for Nimiq 2 @ 82ºw and you would have to remember to set the L.O. to 11250

If you do not have a DBS LNBF I would use AMC-5 as your true south satellite, but if using USLAS ANY close by LINEAR satellite will work.

Thanks, Nimiq2 is not listed as one of the satellites on my receiver. I will shoot
for amc5. I have also ordered the QPH-31 lnb. will it pick up the NIMIQ2 satellite,
and is there a way to program it into the Coolsat 5000?

Thanks

Don't have a coolsat but I am sure there will be a way to add a satellite if it is not listed. The QPH-031 will work for the very little FTA on Niniq 2.

The QPH-031 has four outputs, 2 Circular and 2 Linear. I use a 2/way DiSEqC switch to run both C and L down the same cable to my receiver.

I would like to run mine that way also. I would also like to run my dish network
receiver from this lnb. What would I need to Hook up both C and L to my FTA
receiver, and my Dish Network receiver?
Thanks again, I now have AMC- 5 on my stationary dish, and the position marked,
Hopefully this will help when my HH motor and lnb get here?

I would recommend a completely independent cable run from the Circular side of the QPH-031 LNBF to your Dishnetwork receiver.

thanks again PSB. sounds simple enough. Heres my plan. two cables from
lnb for my FTA receiver, one linear and one circular ran through the disecq sws.
and another cable ran from my circular side to the dish network receiver. Will
I have to use the FTA receiver to move between 119 and 110, or should they both
come in, in one position?

You will have to move the dish between 110 and 119º

One cable and one 2 way DiSEqC switch (between motor and LNB) will bring you both C and L sides of the LNBF to one receiver and save you a cable run.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts