Trying to cancel Directv.. am I going into debt?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Reignfire

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 10, 2009
NC, United States
Okay so I was having money issues (the cost of living alone is so high) so I put my DTV service on hold for 6 months. I assumed that I had already completed my 2 year contract but it turns out that when I did this I was a few weeks from the 2 year contract date. The service was recently turned back on and I sent them an e-mail telling them to cancel the service. Part of the e-mail I got back reads "Within the next eight business from account disconnect date, you will receive a billing statement showing your account has been disconnected. For your convenience, if we have a credit or debit card on file, we will automatically charge your card for any outstanding balances, Early Cancellation Fees, previously unbilled DIRECTV CINEMA or Pay Per Views, and equipment Non-Return Fees (if applicable). We reserve the right to apply additional charges for a minimum of three months after you receive the billing statement reflecting account disconnect. If the account is left with a credit balance, refunds are issued approximately 30 days after the account is disconnection statement is sent. All final payments or charges must clear before a refund is sent.". So they're going to bill be for any service fees I owe and cancellation fees all at one time to my debit card? I specifically told them in that e-mail that I couldn't afford their service and I'd pay them when I can but now I'll likely be charged hundreds of dollars and put my bank account into deep debt. I work full time 40 hours a week and 90% of my income goes toward utilities, rent, and other necessities. If I contact them and explain things do you believe they'd agree to a payment plan? I'd hate that cancelling DTV would ruin my life and get me kicked out of my home or have my power turned off for a month for such a stupid reason. Thanks for any advice.

If it is really that tight with money call your bank and let them know your card number has been compromised. They will reissue you a new card and Directv will not be able to pull the money out of your account. You will need to pay them but this would help if you only have the money to keep living.

FYI, if you were only a couple weeks away form your contract date then you will only be billed around $20 for your early termination fee. If you weremonths away that would be a different story.

The person I spoke with before I cancelled through e-mail said it'd be $120 plus my current bill which is around $80. $200 is just something I don't have in my bank account and nearly 100% of my next paycheck is going straight to bills (my worplace forces us to use direct deposit) so.. I'm screwed. I guess I'll have to get with the bank but I also don't want to not pay the DTV bill.

The person I spoke with before I cancelled through e-mail said it'd be $120 plus my current bill which is around $80. $200 is just something I don't have in my bank account and nearly 100% of my next paycheck is going straight to bills (my worplace forces us to use direct deposit) so.. I'm screwed. I guess I'll have to get with the bank but I also don't want to not pay the DTV bill.

It sounds like you still have around 6 months left in your commitment.

Call Directv up and let them know what is going on and see if they can help you out. Trust me if you change your debit card number Directv will still want to be paid but you can pay them on your terms. It could always impact your credit rating but I would rather have that happen instead of being without power or food.

Putting your account on hold stops the clock on your contract. The only thing to do is call your bank and tell them you lost your card, otherwise DirecTV will charge the card upon canceling. At least you'll have a couple of months to pay your bill before it goes to collections.

The thing is I was 2 or 3 weeks away from fulfilling my contract but they explained that when I put my account on hold it tacked on another 6 months to the contract so it's probably going by that. It makes no sense to me how they can tack on months to a contract but that's just business and fine print in general. In total since I had to suspend my service for a bit my contract became 2 years and 6 months.

edit: After the hold period was up I continued the service for a month (that's how my balance is $80) so if that extra 6 months hadn't been added my contract would now be fulfilled and all I'd owe is this last month of service. Fine print will get you.

The thing is I was 2 or 3 weeks away from fulfilling my contract but they explained that when I put my account on hold it tacked on another 6 months to the contract so it's probably going by that. It makes no sense to me how they can tack on months to a contract but that's just business and fine print in general. In total since I had to suspend my service for a bit my contract became 2 years and 6 months.

edit: After the hold period was up I continued the service for a month (that's how my balance is $80) so if that extra 6 months hadn't been added my contract would now be fulfilled and all I'd owe is this last month of service. Fine print will get you.

Call back, I think someone made a mistake, "suspending" your account does not add 6 months to your commitment, they tell ytou you can only suspend your account FOR 6 months though.
If your only a few months from the commitment, I would call them and tell them you'd like to work something ouit and can't afford what you owe at the moment, lower your package if you have to.
I believe if you pay them a reasonable amount of your monthly bill, they will continue with your service and you can catch up when you can, hopefully soon.

I would let them know whats going on and they may work something out with you, particularly seeing your so close to being out of commitment.
Talk to Retention dept. if you have to, they are the ones that can do the most for you.

When an account is put on hold, it does not extend your contract. The amount of time left to fulfill your contract will continue when you reactivate your service. If you had 3 weeks remaining on your contract when it was put on hold, you will have 3 weeks to fulfill your contract after you reactivate your service. The csr was wrong about extending your contract.

You may down grade your service if this will help on the money. The lowest rate for DTV I think is under $40.00 a month.

Reignfire,

If you have a credit card -- use it for the duration of your contract with DirecTV. Subscribe to minimum package to honor the contract.

And I would suggest, after this period elapses, bringing an end to service. Go without cable-television programming.

This isn't permanent.

#1 Putting your account on suspend, will suspend your contract. This means that if you had 8 months left in your contract and put your account in suspend for 6 months, you will still have 8 months left in your contract when you take your account out of suspend. Its 24 months of PAID service.

#2 If your concerned about Directv charging your credit card, then cancel your credit card by calling the bank and say you lost it.

#3 What do you plan on watching when you cancel your Directv service? I get calls from people who say they can't afford their Satellite TV bill, cancel service and go and sign up for cable. Unless you plan on using rabbit ears, there is no point in cancelling service, just go with the smallest package possible.

#4 My suggestion is to call up Directv, and threaten them that your going to go to DISH Network and see if you can get them to give you $10 off per month for a year, or refer a few friends. After you get the discount, call them back and downgrade to the family pack for $29.99/mo, and with the $10 off your down to $19.99.

You might as well ride out the contract at $19.99, then cancelling and paying $20 for each month remaining upfront and have nothing.

Well crap. I sent them an e-mail asking to cancel my account on 11/4 and I'm only now getting a chance to go through my e-mail and the reply says that I can't cancel through e-mail. My current bill is up to $168.38.

"For your convenience, if we have a credit or debit card on file, we will automatically charge your card for any outstanding balances, Early Cancellation Fees, previously unbilled DIRECTV CINEMA or Pay Per Views, and equipment Non-Return Fees (if applicable). We reserve the right to apply additional charges for a minimum of three months after you receive the billing statement reflecting account disconnect."

"Moving forward, per the terms of the DIRECTV Customer Agreement, you are responsible for any outstanding charges at the time of cancellation. By giving us your credit or debit card account information, you authorized us to apply this method of payment, in accordance with applicable law, to pay any and all amounts due upon cancellation. For more information see the DIRECTV Customer Agreement, Section 5 Cancellation: (e) Payment Upon cancellation. The DIRECTV Customer Agreement can be found at directv.com/agreement."

Those are the relevent quotes from both e-mails. Basically as soon as I call to disconnect my service I'll be charged right then and there. The first was automated but the second was from a service rep. I'm never going back to DTV again after I get this settled. I don't even watch TV that often and when I did it was G4 90% of the time until they removed it. Now I'm reluctant to cancel until I get paid next (in 2 weeks). I owe $80.79 for October and the rest for November (although I may be partially credited if I cancel before the next month) and late fees. Advice before I call? What type of cancellation fees am I looking at? If I pay the bill in full and no extra months were added to my contract then my two years would have been up but if extra time was added (6 months) then who knows how much extra they'll tack on. Thank you.

Last edited:
Well crap. I sent them an e-mail asking to cancel my account on 11/4 and I'm only now getting a chance to go through my e-mail and the reply says that I can't cancel through e-mail. My current bill is up to $168.38.

"For your convenience, if we have a credit or debit card on file, we will automatically charge your card for any outstanding balances, Early Cancellation Fees, previously unbilled DIRECTV CINEMA or Pay Per Views, and equipment Non-Return Fees (if applicable). We reserve the right to apply additional charges for a minimum of three months after you receive the billing statement reflecting account disconnect."

"Moving forward, per the terms of the DIRECTV Customer Agreement, you are responsible for any outstanding charges at the time of cancellation. By giving us your credit or debit card account information, you authorized us to apply this method of payment, in accordance with applicable law, to pay any and all amounts due upon cancellation. For more information see the DIRECTV Customer Agreement, Section 5 Cancellation: (e) Payment Upon cancellation. The DIRECTV Customer Agreement can be found at directv.com/agreement."

Those are the relevent quotes from both e-mails. Basically as soon as I call to disconnect my service I'll be charged right then and there. The first was automated but the second was from a service rep. I'm never going back to DTV again after I get this settled. I don't even watch TV that often and when I did it was G4 90% of the time until they removed it. Now I'm reluctant to cancel until I get paid next (in 2 weeks). I owe $80.79 for October and the rest for November (although I may be partially credited if I cancel before the next month) and late fees. Advice before I call? What type of cancellation fees am I looking at? If I pay the bill in full and no extra months were added to my contract then my two years would have been up but if extra time was added (6 months) then who knows how much extra they'll tack on. Thank you.

There should NOT be any EXTRA months added.... how much time do you have left ?
If it
s only a few months, I would do like others have mentioned, finish out the contract, drop service down to the minimum or at that time you can also decide to close your account, either way.. if you finish your 2 years commitment, you won't have any money added as a ETF.

I would call and drop the service to a level as low as they will accept with out voiding the contract.

Most services have some type of commitment this day and age.

It is unclear from the terms what the cancellation fee might be. It says it is up to $480 pro-rated. Does that mean $20 per month on a 24-month commitment?

Thanks,
Ted

It is unclear from the terms what the cancellation fee might be. It says it is up to $480 pro-rated. Does that mean $20 per month on a 24-month commitment?

Thanks,
Ted

You are correct. Every month your cancellation fee drops by $20.

Cancel any cards you have ever given directv, alert you banks to potential un authorized charges from them . DTV is viscous when coming after money.

Cancel any cards you have ever given directv, alert you banks to potential un authorized charges from them . DTV is viscous when coming after money.

They are in business to make money, after all and the OP did sign a contract for 24 months. That said, I suspect much of what happens after a cancellation is generated by a computer, not a human. If I were the OP I would call DTV and speak to someone in retention, preferably a supervisor.

Explain the situation and see if the account can be suspended for a few more months in the hopes that the situation will improve. Be polite and if you don't get any satisfaction try to get a contact in the corporate office and call there.

They are in business to make money, after all and the OP did sign a contract for 24 months. That said, I suspect much of what happens after a cancellation is generated by a computer, not a human. If I were the OP I would call DTV and speak to someone in retention, preferably a supervisor.

Explain the situation and see if the account can be suspended for a few more months in the hopes that the situation will improve. Be polite and if you don't get any satisfaction try to get a contact in the corporate office and call there.

Yeah not going to work.

I had my neighbor lost her job, husband lost his too a few weeks later. I took it as far as I could back when still had a position to get some ears of people would could make a payment arrangements, as they got behind . They basically denied her and then used there terms of service to take the money right out of her account leaving her nothing for food or rent almost 300 in ETF plus pass due. which was approx 80 dollars.

DTV is more willing to work with you when they realize they cant just grab your money .

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)