Trying to decide if I should get an R-15

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mec6762

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 20, 2004
Montgomery City, MO
I found out recently that I qualify for a free upgrade to the R-15 DVR. If I get it, I'll replace one of the standard receivers that I have with this unit. I've read some of the comments about the R-15 on this and other sites and have a couple of questions.

1) Is the response time for the R-15, when using the remote for changing a channel for example, slower than the standard receiver or is it about the same?

2) In your opinion, is the R-15 more stable and reliable now than it was a few months ago?

I am a little gun shy because of some of the negative comments I've seen on this and other sites and when I was with E*, I had an 811 receiver that left a little to be desired. I did notice that a lot of negative comments came from people that had Tivo before. I never had Tivo so I can't compare Tivo to the R-15.

Any comments and advice would be appreciated.

I used to have Dish as well and had the 811. Didnt like it at all. I really liked their 942 and 622 HD DVR's.

I've used the R15 but I dont own one. I will say with the current software releases and even the amount of CE releases, the R15 is getting more attention and is a more stable unit than it used to be. Is it a perfect unit, no but I think from what I've read and know about the R15, its a pretty good DVR.

I own 3 different HD DVRs, the HR20-100, HR20-700 and the HD Tivo HR10-250. I've also owned at least one sort of Tivo since 1999. I will say the DirecTV interface was hard to get used to but after 9 months of use, I found it like the performance and navigation of the HR20 over any Tivo. As for reliability, its much better than it was at initial release. Its so good now that I retired my HR10-250 and got a second HR20.

You may or may not have HD in the house but it might not be a bad idea to give DirecTV a call and ask to see if you can get a heavily discounted or near free HR20. Its the cream of the crop receiver and is very stable and supported. I think the R15 will be fine but why not go with a receiver that will do HD and all new MPEG4 format channels and Video On Demand (VOD) later this summer. Worth a shot. If you cant get deals through a normal CSR, ask for the retention group. They are usually very nice and depending on your scenario, will give you very discounted hardware and/or programming.

mec6762,
If I were looking for a DVR, with HD getting more and more popular, why not inquire about an HR20, either variety -700,-100, both are very stable now, the -700 was the original and has gotten increasingly better with each new update, and or CE.

You don't have to do the C.E. downloads to take advantage of the improvements the unit are making ...
The CE's are sent ahead of time and tweaked and after they are tweaked they normally get sent to you via a National Release that all machines get, you just don't get them as quickly is all.

I would definatly consider a HR20 DVR, if your looking to upgrade, it's the unit that will set the standards for future units.

Mine is 9-10 months old and I love it and have had very few issues with it. :)

Jimbo

Brewer and Jimbos

You made some good points. I do have HD and using an H20 for my HDTV. I also have 2 other televisions, both using the standard D* receiver. Eventually, I would like to get the HR20 for the HDTV but cost is the primary factor that is holding me back. I can get a discounted price of $199, but I do not think I can get much better. The reasons why is that I've only been a D* customer since March 2006 and still have 9 months until my commitment is up. Add this to only subscribing to Total Choice plus and the HD Pack. I was planning on taking advantage of the free R-15 to replace one of the standard receivers and in a few months, obtain an HR20 for my HDTV. What would be great is get a deep discount on both the R15 and HR20 but IMHO I would not be able to get.

Your duration might be an issue. I've been with DirecTV for almost 10 years and get lots of sports packs so when I ask for a little help, it comes gift wraped. You can always start with the R15 and try later for the HR20. The key is a DVR will change your life. I cant imagine being forced to watch live TV be it SD or HD.

You can also buy a DirecTV Series 2 Tivo SD receiver on Ebay. Wont do HD but they work really well.

I was thinking the same thing, Brewer. I was thinking about going all out and getting the premier package and waiting a few months to try my luck then for the HR20. For right now, I might just give that R15 a try. Thanks

No worries mec6762. Good luck and make sure you let us know how you make out. Feel free to ask any questions here or help anyone else that might have the same delima in the future.

mec6762,
If it were me....
I would wait until you can get the HR20 and skip the R-15, reason is, D* will work with you on a rec., but if you decide to get the R-15 now and the HR20 DVR later, say next month or 3 months from now, they will not give you as good a deal on the second one because they gave you a deal on the first one.

Therefore, I would hold off till your ready for the HR20 DVR.
jmo,

Jimbo

I will call D* in the next couple of days and see what I can do. I will let everyone know what comes out of it. You all have given me some food for thought.

I will call D* in the next couple of days and see what I can do. I will let everyone know what comes out of it. You all have given me some food for thought.
You might also ask about the HR21 which maybe a lower cost upgrade of the HR20 possibly coming this fall along with the new MPEG4 HD channels. You might get a better deal on the HR20.:)

Just wanted to follow up on this thread. I did contact D* by email and after a couple of days of phone tag, I feel I've gotten the best deal I could possibly get. The deal I was offered was that if I paid the regular price for the R15, they would give me an HR20 for $19.95 shipping and handling. I'm still thinking about it, but leaning hard toward taking the plunge.

LOL. I think I will. I just need to call D* and ask if I can use the same installer that installed my present setup or if it has to be one of their people that do it.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)