Trying to do my homework before switching to Dish

Kelly_A

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 23, 2019
Shawnee OK
I’m going to switch from Directv to Dish next month when my promo pricing ends.
Been w/ DTv for 12+ years but no experience with Dish.
From what I’ve read on this forum, using a local retailer is strongly recommended. Fortunately there’s one available in my small town. Does the retailer handle everything from selection of equipment, installing and selecting programming packages? Does retailer pricing mirror what’s available on the Dish website?
The site defaulted to a Hopper Duo and wired Joey. I currently have an HR44-500 on the front room TV and wired c61 client on the bedroom tv. Are the HR44 and Duo comparable? I don’t want an equipment downgrade. Any hints or tips for establishing service, which equipment to choose, etc?

thanks!

Reactions: charlesrshell
I’m going to switch from Directv to Dish next month when my promo pricing ends.
Been w/ DTv for 12+ years but no experience with Dish.
From what I’ve read on this forum, using a local retailer is strongly recommended. Fortunately there’s one available in my small town. Does the retailer handle everything from selection of equipment, installing and selecting programming packages? Does retailer pricing mirror what’s available on the Dish website?
The site defaulted to a Hopper Duo and wired Joey. I currently have an HR44-500 on the front room TV and wired c61 client on the bedroom tv. Are the HR44 and Duo comparable? I don’t want an equipment downgrade. Any hints or tips for establishing service, which equipment to choose, etc?

thanks!

Yes, the LOCAL retailer can do everything from package selection and qualification to installation to activation. The prices are all the same and local retailers also honor the Dish mailed out reward card offers. Often a local retailer will have even more deals and specials than Dish direct.

If you have a Genie now that has 5 tuners you will probably want a Hopper 3. The Hopper Duo only has 2 tuners and the Hopper 1's and Hopper 2's have three tuners. The Hopper 3 has 16 tuners and is an awesome machine. It's $5 more a month than the Hopper Duo but is well worth it. There also may be an upfront cost for the upgrade to a Hopper 3 depending on what the Dish computer says when your information is entered, your local retailer will help you with that. The best you could get would be a Hopper 3 and a Joey 3.

The best tip is what you already know, ask any questions here at Satelliteguys if you want straight and honest answers.

Welcome to the forum and let us know if there's anything else we can do to help. :)

Last edited:
I have an HWS (H2) and am happy with it since got a performance improvement known as the SNAP module, and I'm sticking with it because of the hassle of transferring a lot of content.

That said, if I were beginning fresh as you are, the H3 and a Joey 3 would be the only way to go. You won't regret it.

Definitely get the H3, besides being able to record up to 16 programs at a time my favorite feature is the Multiview, especially for Saturday-Sunday Sports.
9DF96516-8791-47CD-A86B-7728FDB79FA3.jpeg

Thanks everyone for your input! On the timing, I’m going to contact DTv today to find the exact date my retentions programming discount will end. Once I get the exact day, how far ahead of that should I visit the local retailer In order to avoid a service interruption?

Thanks everyone for your input! On the timing, I’m going to contact DTv today to find the exact date my retentions programming discount will end. Once I get the exact day, how far ahead of that should I visit the local retailer In order to avoid a service interruption?

Depends on how busy your local retailer is but you can usually order as soon as you're ready and schedule the installation for whatever date you want.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Depends on how busy your local retailer is but you can usually order as soon as you're ready and schedule the installation for whatever date you want.
thanks for the help everyone! I’ll go with the H3 and J3 for sure.

Final question, I have a spare bedroom that’s only occupied for a couple of weeks per year. Any benefit to purchasing a j3 outright for that room and activating/deactivating it as needed? Looks like the Dish charge would be $120 over a 2 year contract and I can purchase one for about $70. Good plan or bad idea?
Kelly

How about using something like a FireStick with the Dish Everywhere app? Seems like spending much of anything for two weeks is too much.

Aside from that though, you could buy a wireless Joey, put it most anywhere and have it turned on or off as needed.

Or - Instead of the wired Joey in the Bedroom get a Wireless one from DISH and for those two weeks move it to that little used room. You still get the benefit of being able to move it other places too. I can tell you from my Daughter's installation (I didn't downgrade to the Hopper yet still have a VIP receiver ... That's an inside joke about downgrading...) the wireless Joey works very well no complaints.

I’ll look into using a Firestick paired with the Dish app - I know nothing about either.

Don’t want to move my bedroom box to the spare room during those weeks, I need the bedroom TV as an escape. ;)

if I do opt to purchase one wired or wireless J3, can activation/deactivation be handled on line or does it take a call to CS? What charge could I expect when activating, just the $5 fee - so long as don‘t have the Joey activated across two billing cycles?

If you own the Joey you can activate and deactivate free of charge. Billing cycles don’t matter. Charges for that Joey are from activation to deactivation. It would take a telephone call. I don’t think you can do that online.

Reactions: TheKrell
if I do opt to purchase one wired or wireless J3

One minor clarification on terminology and models...the "Wireless Joey" is a separate model from a wired "Joey 3". There is no such thing as a "Wireless Joey 3". While they both have the same functionality, aside from the difference of wired vs. wireless, there is also a performance difference to be aware of. The Wireless Joey is closer in performance to the older wired Joey 2 model. They are usable, but not as fast in operation as the wired Joey 3. A Joey 3 is nearly as fast as the operation of the Hopper 3.

Just wanted to point that out if you are a stickler for fast performance! :)

Thanks for the clarification on the wired/wireless joeys. And also for the info about activating/deactivating a Joey.

I spent a couple of hours last night educating myself about all things firestick and about the Dish app. Looks like a Firestick 4k paired with the app would reasonable solution in the spare bedroom. Cheaper than a wired J3 - $25 vs $70. What functionality would I lose if I opt for the Firestick? Would guests still be able to play back content recorded on the H3?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)