Trying to get DTV sound through home theater

Status
Please reply by conversation.

micronuked

Original poster
Aug 20, 2011
United States
I would like to listen to DTV through my home theater and also play dvds all with a minimal use of remotes. Is there a simple way to do this? Apparently I have an old Sony home theater system that reduces everything to 480 dpi, so I am willing to buy something new.

However, I am not willing to push 5 different buttons and slide switches on the DTV remote to simply switch from TV to DVD.

The home theater system I have considered is a Samsung HT-D550, but of course the DTV built-in codes don't include that model, they have the HT-M550 (same codes?).

Any help is appreciated.

I think that is one of the HTIAB units; my son had that unit. You may not have great results.

Is there any chance of an A/V receiver upgrade.

Last edited:
Is a receiver and a separate DVD player what I need? I'm sadly ignorant.

Also, my wife is not an audiophile. She is happy with the sound from the TV - which drives me up the wall. My goal is simplicity (yeah... good luck with that).

Entry level? :)

So, I need a receiver, a new HD DVD player, both with HDMI? Would I need new speakers also?

This sounds like one more remote control rather than a reduction. How does the receiver reduce the complexity of the connections? Please explain as though to a child.

Last edited:
You can see in my signature that I have a Sony receiver, HR24 and Panasonic TV. When I only want to watch satellite and nothing else, I use the remote that come from Direct. It turns on my TV and HR24 and the Sony receiver sees the activity on HDMI and it turns on too. Then all my controlling is done with the DirecTV remote. Quite simple.

If I want to watch something else, then things get a little more complicated, but not by much. I use a Harmony One universal remote and it covers everything.

No but works for me. I was quite surprised with the subwoofer added. Is it recording studio quality....no but the simplicty and the sound does work.

Here is the perfect system for you - http://www.accessories4less.com/mak...l-Home-Theater-Package-with-iPod-Dock/1.htmlv. I use one like it in my master bedroom. Everything you need is in the box. You connect your Directv receiver to the Onkyo receiver via HDMI, and then connect your Onkyo receiver to your TV with another HDMI. What could be simpler ? Now, if you want to be able to watch your TV without using the Onkyo receiver ( using only the TV's built-in speakers ), just run a set of component cables ( red, blue, green/white, red ) from the Directv receiver directly to your TV ( this is good for night viewing or when you don't want to rock the house with the surround sound system ). This way whatever you choose to do is only a button-push away. If you want to add a Blu-ray player, just plug it in to the Onkyo receiver with an HDMI. Super easy.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)