Trying to get France from Huntsville Ontario!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

fesjwra

Original poster
Jan 24, 2010
Muskoka Ontario Canada
Hello to all from Canada!
Working via a Buzz s2010 plus from an old fiberglass 7-foot dish and new digital Ku LNB (adapted to the old dish mount), I'm trying to avoid the commercials of TV5 Canada (Shaw) by aiming at Atlantic Bird 3, that offers several commercial-free French channels delivered Secam "Super" in Europe. I'm within AB3's North American "Wide" footprint, although it is very low on the horizon. AB3 lists clear feeds of French channels from France.

Can I capture feeds? If so, with what inexpensive device(s)? Will French feeds directed to Canada require conversion from SECAM to NTSC?

Can anyone send me a PDF of the User's Manual for amy Buzz S2010 Plus?

This neophyte would be very grateful for your help or advice, especially as I've reached the limit of my knowledge, and have spent some fruitless, frustrating days!

Cheers, and many thanks!

If the channels you want are Secam, those are analog and you'll need a Secam capable receiver to get them. Your Buzz will not work.

Otherwise if they're DVB you should at least get the audio.

As per Lyngsat maps , the only beam that covers your area is the C Band's Panatlantic Tp's with very low signal. Ku's Wide and Super beams TP's (some are SECAM some DVB) do not show that they cover Muskoka region, only Europe.

Also, like you said, very low in the sky, only 2.2 degrees.

I'm currently in europe and with the exception of 11603.116747.11689 the only wide feeds I can pick up are British Telecomm and Telespazio, neither in French although Telespazio does have a French subsiduary.
Whilst the satellite has a view to you the footprint is way off.
Mikelib is the guru on AB dxing and I don't think he has managed AB3.

Last edited:
From what I see, only the Panatlantic beams (which seem to only be C-band) can be received in North America. The Wide and Super beams are only European.

There is no such thing as SECAM DVB. SECAM is an analog video color encoding method, which any analog receiver should receive, provided you have a SECAM capable TV set.
DVB worldwide uses one standard color coding. It just is 525 line/30fps or 625 line/25 fps, which an FTA receiver should transcode easily..

Classicsat, I do not think anyone suggested there was such a thing as SECAM DVB but thanks anyway for the explanation.

many thanks to all for the valuable updates. AB3 would appear inaccessible to me. Most unfortunate. A minus thirty-five windchill has frozen my handcrank, so I'm awaiting warmer weather to try another familiar language on Hispanasat. Talk to you soon. Again, thanks!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts